Closest to the truth?

by punkofnice 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I know many JWs that state that the watchtower corporation is the 'closest to the truth'. Thus they quiet their cognitive dissonance.

I don't have access to a corporation library any more. Is this a stance that the watchtower corporation has actually claimed?

I've got quotes where they imply or outrightly state that their words are from Jehovah.

Has the corporation ever claimed in print to be the NEAREST to the truth? Is this just some nonsense the R&F have made up without the corporation's permission?

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

I've been in for about 20 years and never read the term,"Nearest" to the truth. I've always remembered them referring to themselves as "the truth."

I think many people when coming out of the org think that the wts IS in fact the "Nearest" to the truth when in fact it is the farthest for sure.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Dk - Thanks for that. An interesting observation. I have heard JWs use it along with other weird stuff. A couple of bruvvers I knew would say that if they weren't JWs they'd be communists. All rather odd.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Heaven - No wonder jehovah's chariot is crap...the horse only has near sized shoes.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

punky said: Heaven - No wonder jehovah's chariot is crap...the horse only has near sized shoes.

Definitely. Near sized shoes will cripple any horse.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I don't recall them ever using that phrase or anything like it, but I used that same thinking for years while I struggled with doubts. For me, what was going on in my head was this: There are obviously some problems with the doctrine, but Christendom is so much worse (a determination based solely on the cult indoctrination) so where else would I go? Since I was working from the base assumption that the WTS was made up of well-meaning people that hadn't lied to me and were chosen by god, the only conclusion that I could come to was that they were far better than other religions, even if they still had things wrong.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I've heard many say things like "well, even if the paradise is not real, the 'truth' is the best way to live"

That implies that "even if they are wrong" they would stick with the organisation...that is "nearest to the truth"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Has the corporation ever claimed in print to be the NEAREST to the truth ?

In a similar way yes. the fact that it has said that all other forms of Christianity are false and have strayed from true worship to Jehovah.

In 1919 the President of the WTS J Rutherford proclaimed that his organization which he took over from C T Russell had been exclusively chosen by god, to truthful interpret bible scripture, where mainstream Christianity failed .

That relates to the JWS self imposing proclamation that we (they) are in the truth

The other engaging fact is even though the WTS pointed out same false practices from other Christian based faiths they themselves created a long list of its own false teachings/interpretations.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

"I don't recall them ever using that phrase or anything like it, but I used that same thinking for years while I struggled with doubts. For me, what was going on in my head was this: There are obviously some problems with the doctrine, but Christendom is so much worse (a determination based solely on the cult indoctrination) so where else would I go? Since I was working from the base assumption that the WTS was made up of well-meaning people that hadn't lied to me and were chosen by god, the only conclusion that I could come to was that they were far better than other religions, even if they still had things wrong."

That is exactly what probably many folks think when they learn "the real truth" about the Org. My wife said almost those words exactly OneEyedJoe.

But a brief study of the NWT13 along with the original Greek language bible will show what a sham the NWT13 and essentially the Org is. Then the historicity and scientific accuracy of the bible.

As Inspector Gadget would say, "Yowzerz!!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit