Have you ever tried to pay a compliment and got blasted

by larrynbabies 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Have you ever tried to pay a compliment and got blasted?

Answer: Yes. It happens from time to time. Bad situations abound!!

• tazmaniac
    tazmaniac

I know of a brother who greeted someone at the hall by saying "how goes the battle". Well unbeknownst to him, this fella and his wife were going thru a difficult time. He thought when the brother greeted him that he was asking..."how is the big battle between you and your wife going"?.

And probably the most common foot in your mouth comment by elders and other......drum roll please...

"Oh, Hi sister, I didnt know you are pregnant. How far along are you ?" ....red faced or angry sister says..."I'm not pregnant" !!!!!

• maxwell
    maxwell

I've had things taken the wrong way as well. But I never say anything to my wife or friends with the intention of hurting them. So if they decide to be hurt by it, I think the problem is more in their mind. If someone says something to me that could have more than one interpretation, and I know that person isn't trying to hurt me, then I pick the most positive interpretation or ask for clarification. I don't think there's any excuse for deciding to be hurt because of something said by someone who loves you in an innocent, non-heated moment. Simply pick the positive interpretation. If you have some fetish with being hurt, then go be hurt by yourself. It's mean to try to spread your artificially hurt feelings to someone who's having a good day and who may have just given you a compliment, and that beside the fact that you aren't acknowledging the compliment.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

This thread is fantastic....

I thought it was just me!!!!

• Phil
    Phil

Men should be men and women should be women. Any attempt to interchange could be a free ticket to an unhappy life. Vive la difference.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I dunno. My husband can get really defensive sometimes. I was telling him the other day that the privacy fence he put up was pretty darned good for his first time building a privacy fence. He took this to mean that it looked pretty crappy. Geesh. I rolled my eyes and told him not to take it the wrong way: I was merely saying how nice it looked, and it was pretty good for someone who had not done it before.

He's very sensitive about the handiman guy up the street. Whenever he has a problem with fixing something on the house, I tell him to call the guy up the street and get some pointers. He gets really incensed by that for some reason. Hell, if I didn't know how to do something, I'd definitely call someone that knew how to do it and ask them!

Country Girl

• larrynbabies
    larrynbabies

thanks country girl I needed the laugh about now

I can only imagine how your husband felt. Not that there was anything wrong in what you did or said it's just the difference between the sexes. I could not help but laugh out loud

Thanks again

larrynbabies

• viktoria
    viktoria

When I came to Denmark I didn´t speak a word of Danish.In my (danish) husbands company there was a man who alwys referres to his wife as"saurian" in Danish "øgle".I really thought it was her name.Why not, there were so many other names that sounded strange to me like Tove,Bjørn,Askild or Bent.

One day this man´s wife came to pick him up from work,and I wanted to be nice to her so I said Hello, how very nice to finally meet you Saurian.The deep silence that followed made my face turn red.I knew something was wrong but WHAT??

The woman first gave her husband a dity look, and then said to me with ice in her voice my name isn´t Saurian it´s Gitte.

Well, how was I to know?

Viktoria

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit