Have you ever tried to pay a compliment and got blasted

by larrynbabies 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• larrynbabies
    larrynbabies

I know us men aren't the most clever people on earth but sometimes we say things that are meant to be a compliment and we get slammed.

My ex-wife was saying once, that she thought her hair was getting thicker and I, in my logical way was trying to figure out if this could really be true. I then thought about the fact that she had recently lost wieght and without thinking any further I blurted out...

"your hair is not getting thicker your head is not as fat."

this is a true story

larry

• rocketman
    rocketman

No wonder she blasted you.

One time, I found a photo of my wife from our courtship days, and I mentioned that she looked so pretty in the photo. This remark was construed by her to mean that she was no longer pretty. I thought I was saying something nice, but she thought otherwise.

• minimus
    minimus

just keep quiet and agree. And if they tell you to be truthful and just say it as like it is------DON'T FALL FOR IT. IT's A TRAP!!!

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

That happened to me on this board. Moe knows about it. I tried to offer reassuring words to a poster who seemed very depressed and it was taken completely the wrong way and I was accused of attacking that poster. Im very misunderstood. Kisses Moe.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Kisses Moe.

I wanted to send a few smoochies myself. Just because.

• Maverick
    Maverick

I noticed only the guys are responding to this so far. After being married for 15 years I learned that as far as the ladies go, if a comment/compliment I made could be taken in a negitive way, it would be. Silly men think communication comes from exchanging words, ladies 'know' communication is about intent. Qualify your compliments, instead of, "you look lovely", Say, "you look as lovely as ever!" My French background has helped me, I have seen my relatives tell American women they are fat and had the ladies smile at them. Comments like, " That extra ten pounds looks so good on you, I don't know any women other than you who could do that!" (with the accent of course)! A French women would smack them for that one. Maverick

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Larrynbabies: that was too funny...sorry I laughed, but I couldn't help it.

• shera
    shera

Men may as well just stick their foot in their mouths and leave it there......lol

• hurt
    hurt

"And if they tell you to be truthful and just say it as like it is------DON'T FALL FOR IT. IT's A TRAP!!!"

True words!

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

From an email I received last week.

The Hormone Hostage knows that there are days in the month when all a man has to do is open his mouth and he takes his life in his own hands! This is a handy guide that should be as common as a driver's license in the wallet of every husband, boyfriend, or significant other!

DANGEROUS: What's for dinner?

SAFER: Can I help you with dinner?

SAFEST: Where would you like to go for dinner?

DANGEROUS: Are you wearing that?

SAFER: Gee, you look good in brown.

SAFEST: WOW! Look at you!

DANGEROUS: What are you so worked up about?

SAFER: Could we be overreacting?

SAFEST: Here's fifty dollars.

DANGEROUS: Should you be eating that?

SAFER: You know, there are a lot of apples left.

SAFEST: Can I get you a glass of wine with that?

And my personal favorite.....

DANGEROUS: What did you do all day?

SAFER: I hope you didn't over do it today.

SAFEST: I've always loved you in that robe!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit