Sword of Jah: Re:Omitted Scriptures - NWT has no footnote explanations.Why?

by AwakenedAndFree 18 Replies latest jw friends

• AwakenedAndFree
    AwakenedAndFree

Dear Sword of Jah:

The Watchtower Society omitted the following Scriptures from their New World Translation Bible without a footnote explanation to readers explaining the reason of omission. Why?

Here are the missing Scriptures - I'am referring only to the ones I know - there may be more:

LUKE: 17:36,

MARK 9:44

MARK 9:46,

MATTHEW 18:11,

MATTHEW 17:21,

JOHN 5:4,

ACTS 8:37,

ACTS 15:34,

ACTS 24:7,

ROMANS 16:24,

Please explain to me the reason the above Scriptures were omitted from NWT Bible. Please describe reason Scripture by Scripture.

Thanks in advance.

Christian Love,

AAF

• blondie
    blondie

AAF, though I am not SOJ and do not want to be compared to him/her,

The omitted scriptures have no footnote in the small NWT but in the larger NWT With References (RBi8) there will be a asterisk to a footnote

Example Romans 16:24

Rbi8 Romans 16:24

——*

*Rbi8 Romans 16:24

P 46 ?ABC omit; DItVg c , "May the undeserved kindness of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all of you. Amen," which corresponds to the end of vs 20.

This is something I learned when talking with Mormons who would routinely tell me (as an active JW) that my Bible was missing scriptures.

Blondie

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

Taken from the Reasoning Book:

Why

are some verses apparently missing?

Those verses, found in some translations, are not in the oldest available Bible manuscripts. Comparison with other modern translations, such as The New English Bible and the Catholic Jerusalem Bible, shows that other translators have also recognized that the verses in question do not belong in the Bible. In some instances, they were taken from another part of the Bible and added to the text being copied by a scribe.

• Francois
    Francois

So, when you get right down to it, you can't say with any degree of certainty that ANY of the scriptures, picked at random, are in the original holograph. This leaves those who depend on the bible for guidance kind of up in the air, don't it? And saying that you THINK it must have been in the original really doesn't cut any ice, does it?

The contents of the bible, then, is another article among so many that must be taken on faith. I prefer Occam's principle: the simplest approach or explanation is likely to be the correct explanation. Such application leaves me thinking that all the numerology, all the guesswork about "the end," all the tugging and pushing and pulling to make some date correspond to a preconceived notion produces nothing but an ill-informed guess.

Much simpler to observe our compliance with The Master's two commands. I'm sure you know what they are, AND that they were given to us in service of the invitation/command of The Master "Be you perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect." Simple.

Or put another way "Be you creature perfect as your Father in heaven is deity perfect." Works for me.

francois

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

"In some instances, they were taken from another part of the Bible and added to the text being copied by a scribe."

Kinda' like taking the name "Jehovah" and inserting it into the Christian Greek Scriptures when around 5,000 available manuscripts of the CGS, LEFT THIS DETAIL OUT.

Just an observation.

• AwakenedAndFree
    AwakenedAndFree

Dear Blondie,

Thanks for the info. So, the smaller version does not include explanatory footnotes, only the larger version does. Aren't they suppose to print all their Bibles exactly in the same format and not leave anything behind ? I always used my regular - sized Bible when I went out in service. Thankfully, I never had anyone commenting on the NWT Bible missing Scriptures. How embarrassing it would be for me representing the true God Jehovah and not been able to have an explanatory footnote on my Bible to explain to the householder reason of omission.

So, in conclusion, the WT Bibles differ from another, the larger size has footnotes, and the smaller size has none!

Christian Love,

AAF

• AwakenedAndFree
    AwakenedAndFree
    Blondie said:" The omitted scriptures have no footnote in the small NWT"

Dear Sword of Jah,

Why is it that the Watchtower Society include explanatory footnotes for omitted Scriptures in the larger Bible version and it does not include explanatory footnotes on the smaller version Bible?

The smaller Bible (I'am referring to the medium sized-one) has no explanatory footnotes to inform the reader reason of Scripture omission. Why?

In conclusion, don't you think if the larger version includes explanatory footnotes, the smaller versions should also, to make all WT published Bibles equal?

The Reasoning Book does not answer the question I posed you .

I'am awaiting for your response.

Thanks in advance.

Christian Love,

AAF

• blondie
    blondie
    Aren't they suppose to print all their Bibles exactly in the same format and not leave anything behind ? I always used my regular - sized Bible when I went out in service. Thankfully, I never had anyone commenting on the NWT Bible missing Scriptures. How embarrassing it would be for me representing the true God Jehovah and not been able to have an explanatory footnote on my Bible to explain to the householder reason of omission.

AAF, yes, it was just coincidence that I had the larger Bible with me when I was talking to these Mormons. At the time I thought it was God's hand in the matter.

When I asked an elder why the footnotes were not in the smaller NWT, I was given a typical elder non-answer of that the smaller NWT would be too big and not portable for the ministry if they were included. He said he had been "in the truth" for 20 years and never had anyone ask about the missing scriptures. Well, I hope he never talks to any Mormons. Duh!

Here are the locations of the WTS explanations of why certain verses were left out. Newer non-JW translations also have dropped some verses due to access to older manuscripts. That is why it is good to use several translations when studying the Bible, including more the current ones. Mt 18:11 and Rom 16:24 were not found in the Bible Gateway verse search.

http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible

"missing verses": Reasoning Book 278-9; w78 5/15 11-14; w78 8/15 30; w70 761; w66 63-4; w62 88-92

Blondie

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

In conclusion, don't you think if the larger version includes explanatory footnotes, the smaller versions should also, to make all WT published Bibles equal?

What's your point? It's a silly question.

• AwakenedAndFree
    AwakenedAndFree

Dear Blondie,

Many thanks for your comments and references.

When I asked an elder why the footnotes were not in the smaller NWT, I was given a typical elder non-answer of that the smaller NWT would be too big and not portable for the ministry if they were included.

Doesn't this make the smaller version NWT Bible incomplete over the larger WT Bible version?

Thankfully you had the larger version Bible with you, (it was portable to you, wasn't it?) otherwise how embarrassing!

Christian Love,

AAF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit