What's The Worst Thing a "Friend" Could Ever Do To You?

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

How about cases where 2 people get involved in "wrongdoing" and 1 admits it while the other denies it? One gets reproved or even disfellowshipped while the "friend" who is in "denial" gets off scotfree.

• nilfun
    nilfun
    What's The Worst Thing a "Friend" Could Ever Do To You?

Short of killing you?

When a friend trashes your reputation.

You know that game that is sometimes played by children--where the first child will whisper something in the ear of the child next to them, and then that child will repeat it to the next-in-line--and so on and so on...by the time the last child in line reveals what was whispered , what was originally said has oftentimes been twisted beyond recognition.

That's what happens when you pour your heart out to a friend--telling them something confidential--and they abuse your trust and repeat it. By the time it gets back to you, it is too late. People tend to believe the worst about you, no matter what you say/do.

Reputation trashed, end of story.

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

what's a friend? I have only acquaitances left and they're dwindling rapidly. I'd say the worst thing a friend could do to you is lie about you (seems like it's happened to everyone here). Being 'used' by your friends ain't all that grand either though. I only get calls anymore when someone needs something fixed - house, computer etc. I'm tired of that but I guess it just means I must be REALLY boring to hang out with! lol

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I guess what my so called friend did when I was sick. I was on disablity (depression) she yelled at me about how F****** much her Mother worked blah blah blah. As IF my beign on disablitiy I paid for WITH MY benefits had some effect on her Mother. After swallowing this bullshit for a few minutes I told her "if you and your brothers didn't use your Mother for everything under the sun she wouldn't be working at 78 years old" I hung up and I probably would have forgiven her but later on she made one more cutting comment and that was it. Today she came over (uninvited, I had invited her hubby and her kids) to Anthony's going away party. I talked to her as little as possible. I have a problem with being rude to her because her husband is a sweetie and has always been great despite his wife. When I first poste her I think I told the whole story. But SHE is why I am very reluctant to have anymore friendships she betrayed me at my weakest of times.

• minimus
    minimus

Shelia, could you explain your post for me? I re-read it a few times and I don't understand what the "friend" was upset about.....Minimus, from the "not-too-smart" class.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I must admit most of my friends in the WT were great. That is until, I left the Borg. But the losing of friends was mutual. I'd love to be around these people, however, it's all you can do to sit and talk to these people and all they discuss is the WT and encouraging you to return.

I recently got in contact with a old Witness friend and she was very happy to hear from me. Her husband is inactive and she only goes occasionally. Both of her sons are involved in tennis in school (another no no) and are local tennis champions.

The worst thing someone ever did to me in the WT was one of my best friends was getting married and she had admired some photos I had taken at a person's previous wedding. I told her I would take her wedding photos and give them to her as a wedding present. Guess what she says, "well this is a private wedding, and you wouldn't get into the door." It still hurts when I think about it.

• Loris
    Loris

I had a friend once. I thought she was the "true" friend you hear about. You know, the one that sticks closer than a brother (or sister). We did everything together. Our kids were constant companions. We talked for hours on the phone. When her husband died while on a trip far from home I got on a plane (which terrifies me to no end) and I flew to Alabama in order to drive her and the kids back to Florida.

When I was Df’d without a fair and impartial hearing she stuck by me. We had to be discreet about being friends. We would just "happen" to go to the same beach for a picnic and such.

I wanted to get out of that congregation so I sold my home. (silly me I thought that the trouble was confined to one congregation) My friend said that she too wanted to get away from there. She borrowed $2,500 to help her move. She promised to pay me back a little at a time. I moved and she went to Tennessee to find her a house to rent. She came back, showed off some nice china she bought in Nashville and her son had a nice new pair of boots.

They did not move but I was told that since I was DF’d she could not speak to me again. I got reinstated, she remarried and twenty years later I was still waiting for her to remember the money I loaned her.

She did move to Georgia with the new husband. I located her about a year ago. She seemed to be happy to hear from me until I told her about the UN debacle and what I had come to understand about the child abuse issue. She informed me that she had discovered that she is "anointed". Me I'm thinking I know what manure pile she crawled out of. But I didn't say it. I'm her friend.

Well, my friend called the PO of my congregation to inform him of the errors of my way. He had already told me to keep my mouth shut about certain things. That was one of the last straws that led to me writing a DA letter.

That's my friend story. The worst thing a friend can do is steal from you or betray your confidence.

Loris

• heathen
    heathen

Say I just thought of a cake song that says something like sometimes friend is a 4 letter word.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit