Some JW's Easing Up On Shunning?

by Englishman 16 Replies latest social current

• caligirl
    caligirl

My parents don't shun any of their children, but none of us are DA'd or Df'd either. Regardless of that, I think that they do, underneath it all, have more feelings for their family than they do for any outsiders dictates.

• Swan
    Swan

For what it's worth;

My mother and my aunt have been in the JW faith since childhood (1930's and 1940's). They both told me they would be willing to look the other way in order to continue associate with me.

It was my father, who is classed as an unbelieving mate and has never been baptized, who took the lead in shunning me. My mother follows suit since he is head of the house.

Ironic.

Tammy

• mustang
    mustang

I'll go out on a limb here and note what I call the "East Coast Attitude" here in the States/US. The East Coast, in general, is more formal and "uptight". I am in the area of the country most noted for being "loose": southern California.

While I’ve avoided the locals like the plague, I have had some contact, at work in particular. They seem to be more relaxed here than on the East Coast. A sort of "live and let live" attitude is possible here that the East Coast may not tolerate. I do know of some of the "full bore" Dub treatment, around here; but I’ve seen some very relaxed attitudes, overall. Just fits the general perception in this country, could be wrong.

Currently, I’ve got what appears to be a JW @ work that is trying to warm up to me and leaves magazines out on his desk and such when he knows I have to confer with him. He’s a "good man", does his job, but is not as "gung ho" on certain things as management wants; this could lead to trouble for him.

Could be interesting to watch, but I don’t need any entertainment

Mustang

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Englishman,

I go right up to the JWs and act like everything is "normal"-?. i mean I get right in their face or I just holler across the store/in public etc. -"how are you doing and how are things at the Kingdom Hall." Or a favorite of mine is, "YOU OLD APOSTATE! ARE YOU SERVING JEHOVAH OR THE MEN IN NEW YORK?" Yes, I have had some fun.................

• Agent Double- O- Soul
    Agent Double- O- Soul

Even when I had my hair up like Robert Smith & looked as though I could've joined the Cramps or the Banshees, my Mum always found nice things to say about my appearance. It felt slightly wierd & cool at the same time, probably coz she really should've been 'encouraging' me the opposite way, considering. I look a bit more 'normal' now but sometimes still get ignored as though I wasn't noticed, which is a sort of shunning, I suppose. I agree it seems to depend on where you stay & the personality of the person. Recently I met a pal from the KH in a supermarket. She & her man still attend, but her own words were - concerning KH association - "We've got nobody there now" . So-&-so's moved away or inactive, her man's bro' df'd etc. So sometimes the difference between attending the meetings & being ignored is not that great. I don't always get ignored though so it's a mixed bag where I am, even tho I'm not df'd or anything. That 'shunning report ' idea just cracked me right up btw.

Seeya

00-Soul

• manon
    manon

In my family shunning was seldom practiced. We always had an even amount of family members on the inside as well as the out. My DF mother and active JW aunt vacation together every year and have a wonderful relationship my JW grandmother always had christmas/thanksgiving(incognito) dinner at her house for her active children/inactive children/grandchildren other relatives. We were a zany bunch, my sister on the other has become somewhat staunch in her outlook and would lock my mother in the bathroom closet in a heartbeat if the choice had to be made between her JW family/ and her DF/DA family.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I think most witnesses would rather not have to shun. Sure, there are those with the power trips, but by and large I think they would just assume it went away. It sure would certainly be a more loving, less harsh way of doing things.

I think if it were reversed, it would be embraced.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit