The PO and CO visit me....new light!!??

by truman 35 Replies latest jw friends

• dedalus
    dedalus
    He also stated that the new current understanding is that it is not to be expected that the witnessing work by JWs will penetrate into all corners of the earth, or that each individual will personally get a 'witness', just that the message will be proclaimed worldwide.

Is there a published source for this "new light"?

That would be a major change from an essential Witness doctrine.

How many times did my mother’s eyes -- with so many other Witnesses -- turn heavenward as she quietly chanted, "This good news will be preached in all the inhabited earth, and then the end will come," and with a forlorn look she only now understands she had, pile into a beat-up jalopy with a posse of dreary Witnesses to unload in suburbia the rag-worn “latest issues” ? Too many to count. She did nearly every day of the week, with the heavy conviction that it had to be done, if she would ever see paradise.

Seems to me there was also some nonsense rhetoric about animated rocks that would somehow deliver the "good news" if Witnesses didn't, so fierce was the Mighty Jah's determination that every single person be reached. Wouldn't it be a shame, the rhetoric went, if Jehovah had to resort to using rocks because we, his chosen human servants, had failed?

What a weird religion.

Dedalus, still curious about the "official" stance on all this

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The mid-to-late 80s was the start of when I began to realize the insanity of my beliefs. The wt & awake were proclaiming that the Soviet Union was the king of the north. While at the same time Reagan was giving speeches proclaiming the end of communism. I distinctly remember thinking when Reagan gave his famous "Tear Down these Walls" speech: "why is this man saying these things when we know that the Soviet Union is the all powerful king of the north."

This time was very pivotal in my transition out of the organization because the events gave a very clear example of the society being absolutely wrong. So, for the CO to say that Jehovah put it in their minds to tear down the wall leads me to the question: Why wasn't this information communicated to the society?

• Room 215
    Room 215

``New Light?" It sounds more like a bunch of old geezers rearranging the furniture in their nursing home's recreation room with the lights turned out!

• Francois
    Francois

Introspection and all:

Regarding that absurd statement that in certain parts of the world the people didn't respond to false Christianity, so why should they be expected to respond to true Christianity?

You make a good point. Perhaps those people smelled the rot of "false" Christianity and rejected it, and rightly so. And by extension, we should expect them then to flock to the JDubs like mosquitos, huh? Perhaps that's precisely why the JDubds don't want to go there, and why that absurd logic was foisted off. If the JDubs go there and fail, then it could logically be said that the people in those places - given their acute spiritual sensitivity - have weighed the JWs in the balance and found them wanting along with all the rest of false Christianity.

I can't believe those two bozos tried that kind of logic. This is what comes of receiving your college diploma from Awake! University.

francois

• TR
    TR

But, the "old light" was true, right?

My, how the "truth" changes.

With all the changing of light, how the hell can even the most hardened or the most dumb of 'hovahs believe this crap?

TR

• Bibbitybobbityboo
    Bibbitybobbityboo
    He stressed the terrorist angle as being the impetus for the political powers to turn on religion, and said that most people would not protest, since few consider attendance to church vital and they will sacrifice liberties like this for personal security if necessary.

Ummmmm, okay. While I used to believe this kind of tripe - now that I've had opportunity to actually get to know people of other faiths, I find it incredibly hard to believe that the majority of Christians, Jews or mainstream Muslims will just roll over and play dead when it comes to their freedom to worship. National security or not!

Or in the highly unlikely chance that the terrorists take over our nation (and other democratic societies) that every single person of faith will convert to Islam rather than face execution, all except those JW's who will be the only ones protesting. Yeah right! The Watchtower heavily underestimates the power that belief in Jesus Christ has in people's lives and what they would sacrifice for Him with or without church attendance. On the other hand, without direction from the watchtower society, most J-dumbs would be lost as to what to do with themselves.

IMO - for whatever it's worth!!

• mustang
    mustang

"He said that it was reasonable to expect little penetration into areas such as China and the Moslem countries, because these cultures had never even been receptive to the growth of 'false' Christianity"

"Jehovah knows where honest hearted people are and can get them out when he wants to."

Utter garbage, both statements!!!

The Chinese people have a solid history of taking to "'false' Christianity".

But their government doesn't tolerate crap, so it gives troublesome religions a headache.

This also implies that the Chinese people aren't honest hearted. I can tell he has never been there. He just wrote off the single largest ethnic fraction of the world's population on a bigoted, misinformed lie. It's a lie that works here, but doesn't hold water when you go to China.

I'm certain this lie also wouldn't stand up under scrutiny in God's court in Heaven.

The JW process is 1) just plain lazy, 2) concerned that a really big task will upset their lousy, totally inaccurate predictive timetable and 3) don't know what to do so bad that they are ready to quit.

Mustang

Further, all that I write or utter, is considered to be protected by religious freedom under the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as the "free exercise", as well as "freedom of speech" clauses.

• dedalus
    dedalus

Again:

He also stated that the new current understanding is that it is not to be expected that the witnessing work by JWs will penetrate into all corners of the earth, or that each individual will personally get a 'witness', just that the message will be proclaimed worldwide.

I'm still wondering if there a published source for this "new light," or if it's just some self-important CO spouting off his own brand of Witness swill. Of course this is all very interesting, but it only really matters if it becomes the Organization's official stance on the matter, and is represented as such in its literature.

Dedalus

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I can't believe you guys are so gullible and that you know so little of the organization's teachings on this matter. There is nothing new about this.

• dedalus
    dedalus
    I can't believe you guys are so gullible and that you know so little of the organization's teachings on this matter. There is nothing new about this.

Please explain, Pork Chops. I don't want to be gullible!

So far as I'm aware, Witnesses believe that "the good news must be preached to all the peoples of all the nations, and then the end will come." Witness doctrine emphasizes the words I've italicized. The idea is that every person has to be reached so that no person can say, as his or her blood spills into the great river of death that is Armageddon, "I wasn't warned about this." My mother was a pioneer for over a decade, and this rhetoric is pretty familiar to me. I'm sure I could find articles in Watchtowers if I looked.

There's only one article I know of that addresses this question specifically (I can post some of it later, if anyone cares), and all it says is that Witnesses shouldn't worry about remote indigenous tribes or retarded people who, for obvious reasons, can't be reached with the "good news." Interestingly, the article does not say that Jehovah won't kill these people anyway; it simply tells Witnesses not to worry their silly heads about it.

Anyway, Pork Chops, I hope you can see that I'm interested in your point of view, if you can be bothered to explain it more. If I'm being gullible, I'd sure like to understand how.

Dedalus

P.S. It's possible, PC, that you agree with me about the above, and are questioning the Organizational authenticity of the CO and PO's remarks. In which case, I share some of your doubt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit