JWs and daily Bible reading schedule

by AuntBee 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

JWs often point to this, to show outsiders they ARE allowed to read the Bible on their own without the publications. Although, as we know, the org still teaches that you will never progress along the road to life without the pubs. AND, i would imagine that what they learn/conclude from their own Bible reading, must remain within the confines of current WT teaching, even on the most minute points of doctrine.

Has this daily Bible reading always been promoted? How many Witnesses do it? What is the point , if you just have to accept all their teachings anyway?

• Slow Burn
    Slow Burn

Daily bible reading has always been outwardly promoted. Old HQ had the sign to that effect for a very long time. As to how many JW's actually do it regularly- not many these days. 30-40 years ago they did more, not so much now.

And yes, all of your conclusions must conform to the Org's interpretation.

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

Thank you Slow Burn.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I've lost count of how many times I've read the Bible cover to cover of the decades, but looking back there was only ONE time where I really learned a lot: in 2016 when I wasn't wearing my dogma goggles, just reading it without preconceptions and going where the answers led me. All the other times were for the most part a futile exercise of a JW rule/custom that doesn't allow real growth in practice.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Jehovah`s Witnesses fail in getting any accurate understanding of the Bible because of their refusal to consider any criticism of the Bible from any source or from any authority other than their GB which is totally biased with their interpretation of Bible Scriptures and their meaning.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I used to read the bible daily without the Watchtower to hand. I remember that i could not for the life of me read Paul's epistles and come to the conclusion that all Christians weren't going to heaven. I had to constantly dig out Watchtowers and WT books to convince me that he was talking only to a select group in those letters.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Does ‘the faithful and discreet slave’ [Watchtower organization] endorse independent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate?—Matt. 24:45, 47. No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the New World Translation. …They have also held conferences and produced publications to present their findings and to supplement what is provided at our Christian meetings and through our literature. …Thus, ‘the faithful and discreet slave’ does not endorse any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight… For those who wish to do extra Bible study and research, we recommend that they explore Insight on the Scriptures,All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial,’ and our other publications….”—Kingdom Ministry, September 2007, p. 3
    “They say that it is sufficient to read the bible exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home. But, strangely, through such ‘Bible reading,’ they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom’s clergy were teaching 100 years ago…” WT August 15, 1981, pp. 28-29
    “On occasion opposers will question the various teachings that Jehovah’s people hold in common… They will declare that all one needs to do is to read the Bible. But Christendom has been reading the Bible for centuries.” —The Watchtower, March 1, 1983, p. 25

And a quote for 'believers'....

“These things I have written to you concerning those who are trying to deceive you. As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.”—1 John 2:26-27, New American Standard Bible
    Silly Jobots!

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Great quotes there punkofnice

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

If Jehovah`s Witnesses really read the Bible without their Watchtower rosy red glasses on they would clearly see that their is not one scripture in the Christian Greek Scriptures (NT) that instructs Christians to witness to,for,or about Jehovah , not one.

However their are over 30 scriptures instructing Christians to witness about Jesus

JW`s obviously don`t read their Bibles with a hearing ear or a seeing eye.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Daily bible reading was one of the things that helped me break mentally free!

I highly recommend reading the bible daily, especially the "Christian Greek scriptures"

Doing it daily helps you keep in mind what you recently read and thus you can't help but compare what you are reading and its implications to what you have been taught. After you break free from the mental shackles of WT, you start to see the all of the discrepancies in the bible itself and that's where you are truely set free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit