Our house fire

by larc 27 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Folks,

I do not usually post stuff about my life at home, but I am in the mood to tell you this one.

Yesterday, a big truck came by our house, which created a vibration in our house, which caused a plastic spice jar to fall off of the top of the stove on to a hot burner, which caused the plastic to get set on fire, which melted and destroyed the plastic panel on the stove. Fortunately, my wife found the problem before our house was burned to the ground.

So, today we bought a new stove. Ours was old any way, and only two of the burners worked.

Nothing serious happended, but it was a close call.

• minimus
    minimus

Larc, that could have been a disaster! I'm glad you and your wife are o.k. Besides, Ipick up my "present" from you, when I find your house...Oh, that's right, your's is the one that smells a bit smoky.

• shamus
    shamus

Thank god your house did not burn too badly - did you get an insurance adjuster in?? The smoke damage can be real nasty, and needs to be cleaned professionally. If not, you'll be smelling that smoke smell until the day you move out...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

larc Glad to hear you are both OK and there wasn't a lot of damage

• gumby
    gumby

Did you have a fire extinguisher handy?

Are you going to get one now?

Glad you two are OK,

Gumby

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

So sorry to hear that Carl. Is there any smoke damage? I'm glad neither you or GiGi were hurt.

• larc
    larc

Gumby,

My wife just read about the incident and told me that she did use a fire extinguisher.

The amount of smoke was minimal. I was not at home at the time, and when I returned, I could not smell any smoke.

Well, with that said, you never know when a minor situation could turn into a disaster.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

(((((((( Zazu and Lark )))))))

I am glad all is well!

Call me lady!!

I miss you both.

Love

Cassi

• JeffT
    JeffT

Glad to hear you are OK. In the last month my company (we are in real estate) has been through two fires. Rough estimate $1,000,000 in damage. Fortunately nobody was hurt. We can replace the wood, and an increase in insurance is a cost of doing business.

One of the worst nights of my life happend about ten years ago (while I was out of town) wife and kids were cleaning the house. A shaving cream can got tossed into the fireplace by mistake. The resulting explosion almost set fire to the whole house and did send my son to the ER. I called home, just to check in and our daughter told me what had happened. It was really bad for me until I heard that wife and son were back and he was mostly OK.

• larc
    larc

Jeff,

I am really sorry to hear about what happended to your son. Sometimes, life is like playing Russian Roulet, you just don't know when your number is up, or if you just missed the bullet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit