WT FAQ about shunning changes again!

by izobcenec 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Sorry, I don't have a scanner at home, so I'll have to type this out.

OK, the April 15, 2003 Watchtower is titled "What Has Happened to Spiritual Values? After of course, showing how few Catholics actually go to church in Europe, it says on page 5 under the heading "Where Can You Find True Spiritual Values?:

"If you are going to follow a religion simply because of family tradition, why not choose the Celtic religion that our ancestors practices 2,000 years ago?" asks Rodolphe with a note of irony............"I'm totally against the idea that religious convictions should be forced on me by tradition, simply because members of my family who lived tens or even hundreds of years ago practiced a certain religion." Rudolphe weighed things carefully; he did not treat this important matter as just something he inherited.

Though the handing down of a religion from one generation to another is on the decline nowadays, the majority still remain attached to the religion of their family. But is it always right to stick to the religious values of one's parents? What does the bible say?

Incredibly, right on this page there's a picture with four smiling women, from 20 years of age up to one who looks like she's almost a hundred years old with the caption beside it that says:

Four generations of a family of Jehovah's Witnesses in France.

The very fact that the Watchtower has the audacity to say that your religion shouldn't be "forced" upon you, simply because your family has belonged to a particular religion, shows that they are the biggest hypocrites on planet earth. How many of us were born into this religion? Yes, it was FORCED upon us whether we wanted it or not. And when you're old enough to say "I don't want this religion", your entire family is told to shun you, because you've "abandonned" Jehovah and His Borganization.

[the article goes on to talk about Moses, Joshua, Abraham, Ruth and Jesus.......now here's a real good one on page 6:

"The account relating the beginning of Christianity is more explicit about the reasons why Jesus' disciples abandoned their ancestors' religion............All had to abandon either Judaism or the worship of various pagan gods........to please God, it was necessary to follow a new form of worship, that of Christianity."

To me, this is a real stretch of what actually happened. Jesus certainly never intended to start a new religion, He simply wanted His people to return to real values and for the leaders of Judaism to quit "binding heavy loads upon [their] shoulders." In the first half of the first century CE, it would have been almost impossible to differentiate between Christians and Jews save that of the identity of the Messiah. First century Christians ideas were still very much influenced by their religion of Judaism and they still practiced circumcision, all their Festivals, many apparently still observed the Sabbath and the Ten Commandments. Paul was the one who really started the division between Judaism and Christianity, not Jesus.

Now that marijuana has been decriminalized in Canada, I think we should get some and send it to the GB in New York so they can continue to come up with even more insane articles............

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Great post, Iz.

Great comments from all, too.

I'm sort of speechless with indignation at the WTBTS.....such double-talk, such BS, etc. Perhaps such changes, documented here will help folks who are slow to "see" the Witness organization for what it truly is, a fraud.

---Dan

• rocketman
    rocketman

This update to the website was, I believe done (and documented here) some months ago. Nevertheless, it's easy to see again the double-talk and contradictions in the statements they make.

Also, they say that all who "formally" leave are avoided, and yet they offer no scriptural backing as to why. Indeed, many of us here wonder, especially in light of the quotes Mary just posted, why we simply cannot just leave without being subjected to such abuse as shunning.

• rocketman
    rocketman

And one more thing: they state with regard to family members who live in the same house that "the marital relationship and normal family affections and dealings can continue".....gee thanks, how nice! I'd imagine they'd try taking that stuff away too if they could and that likely only the laws of the land prevent them from seriously interfering in such normal relationships. And sometimes, they manage to interfere quite well anyway.

• Mary
    Mary

rocketman, not only would they take the normal marital relations away if they could, but I remember seeing one article a while ago which basically said that putting apostates to death like they did in Ancient Israel is now forbidden because of the laws of the land...............in other words, if the WT could put so-called apostates to death without fear of reprisal from the government, they would. How Christian is that?

• dedalus
    dedalus

Keen observations, Mary. Thanks.

Dedalus

• chester
    chester

Mary,

Thanks for posting that information in the article from the April 15 th 2003 Watchtower.

I looked at it and found the following statement from that same article on page 6, Paragraph 2:

Paul, a young man from Bastia, Corsica, who was raised in the Catholic religion, occasionally took part in church activities, such as selling cakes to raise money for a Catholic charitable organization. Wanting to have a better understanding of the bible, he agreed to have regular discussions with Jehovah’s witnesses. In time he realized that what he was learning would bring him lasting benefits. Accordingly Paul fully accepted the Bibles values and became one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. His parents respected his choice, which has not affected their close family relationship.

This young man was able to change his religion from Catholic to becoming a Witness and his family respected his choice and did not shun him. On the other hand, if a person were decide to leave the witnesses and become a Catholic he would have to be avoided by his former “friends”.

I wonder how many dubs will catch that point?

Chester

• onacruse
    onacruse
    normal family affections and dealings can continue.

Oh yeah? I'd like to see them try and keep the affections alive.

engaging in normal activities after you've lost both legs in an accident is not a problem.

What a total joke. Another example of their complete insensitivity to what these policies do to people.

Craig

• Mary
    Mary
    This young man was able to change his religion from Catholic to becoming a Witness and his family respected his choice and did not shun him. On the other hand, if a person were decide to leave the witnesses and become a Catholic he would have to be avoided by his former “friends”.

Yep, I knew someone years ago who left "the Truth" and became a Catholic. Needless to say he was disfellowshipped for apostasy. When he died a few years later, the only ones from the Hall to go to his funeral were myself and my family. Even though this guy's family were still all Witnesses, not one elder went to offer their condolences or even acknowledged his existence.

Surely this is another fine example that Jehovah is NOT directing this Organization....................

• Jessica Rabbit
    Jessica Rabbit

This is a new experience for me. I just became a member this week. I just want to say that after reading some of your comments I feel more comfortable about who I am now than I EVER felt as a JW. First I just have to know one thing, what the hell does Borg mean?

Now for my comment. I went to my usual garage sales this past Saturday. Around 7:30 a.m. I walk up on three JW sisters all decked out in thier service attire. Now either they are pioneering and ran out of phone booths and laundrymats or they don't have any casual attire to wear "garage saling" (I don't know). Point being one of them looked me up and down as to say "Oh my God, I remember you" the other one looked right at me with a smile on her face until she registered who I was, and suddenly the smile went away. I try so hard to act like I could care less, but the truth is I still haven't convinced myself that I'm not some worldly piece of garbage. Do any of you have any tried and true advice to feel better in those situations? I kept telling myself "You keep smiling because you know you are with Christ and he will never turn away from you." It reminds me of the scripture about "not being afraid of man, what can he do to me?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit