The three wise men

by Simon 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Honesty
    Honesty

The gold represented royaly. In the Holman Christian Standard Bible it says they saw the star in the east (evidently when they were in the east) and they then went west. When they reached Israel they went to Jerusalem. Herod did not ask when the king was to be born but where. The astrologers then went to Bethlehem after learning where. In my opinion the star was from God and provided Jesus and his parents the means to leave Israel and live in Egypt.

I always questioned the WTBTS' twisted reasoning about this matter but didn't have as much gumption (that's hillbilly for sense, something the borg represses in all dubs) to speak up.

• Simon
    Simon

(Oh god, "the shame" .., delete, delete, delete !! )

• Neo
    Neo

Simon, you'd better heed the counsel of the Faithful and Discreet Slave!!

*** w62 6/15 pp. 380-383 Avoid Unprofitable Questions ***

Avoid

Unprofitable Questions

HAVE you noticed how frequently the apostle Paul alerted Christians to guard against speculation and unprofitable questions? To Timothy he wrote: "For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories." (2 Tim. 4:3, 4) In his letter to Titus, Paul warned: "Shun foolish questionings and genealogies and strife and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile." (Titus 3:9) Elsewhere the apostle cautions Christians to avoid "philosophy and empty deception," "idle talk," "empty speeches," "falsely called ?knowledge,"" "false stories," and "strange teachings."?Col. 2:8; 1 Tim. 1:6; 6:20; 2 Tim. 4:4; Heb. 13:9. (...)

ABUNDANT

KNOWLEDGE

Today, in the spiritual paradise enjoyed by Jehovah?s witnesses, the divine promise has come true: "Many will rove about, and the true knowledge will become abundant." (Dan. 12:4) (...) Yes, from Jehovah God, his Word and organization comes the instruction that enables Christians to walk in His paths, worshiping the Father with spirit and truth. (John 4:24)

UNPROFITABLE USE OF TIME

Handling God?s Word of truth aright requires that we discern between profitable and unprofitable questions. Naturally we have questions about the past, present and future. In the Bible Jehovah has provided authentic answers to the questions that properly concern us at this time. Sometimes secular history can fill us in on details not given in the Bible. But there are other questions to which neither the Bible nor profane history provides an answer. It is not wise or safe for us to speculate about questions of that nature.

For example, in all good faith one might ask, What was Jehovah doing before he created Jesus, by whom he made all other things? If Adam and Eve had repented, would God have forgiven them? What happened to the bodies of those who perished in the Flood? Did the expensive gifts brought to the babe Jesus make Joseph and Mary rich for the rest of their lives? What did Jesus do between the ages of twelve and thirty besides his carpentering? How would Jehovah have redeemed the race if Jesus had not proved faithful? Exactly how long did Jesus? trip to heaven take? Much time could be spent conjecturing on such matters.

THE

DANGERS

A Christian who indulges in speculation from the platform or in group Bible study tends to attract undue attention to himself. Personal theories can cause division of thought and even lead to disputes about trifles. Ones newly associated with Jehovah?s congregation might be stumbled by what would appear to be a lack of love and unity. (...)

Your avoiding speculation and unprofitable questions will demonstrate your meekness and willingness to await Jehovah?s due time to provide further information on any matter, if it be his will. This he can easily do by further enlightening our understanding of the Bible, by bringing to pass events foretold therein, or even by resurrecting the dead with their detailed knowledge of past events. By waiting upon Him and his organization all of Jehovah?s servants will speak in agreement, being "fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought," to his praise and our eternal welfare.?1 Cor. 1:10.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I just read the Book of Adam (look it up on the net) and while I 'm not certain how much weight to give it it talks about Adam receiving the Gold, Frankinsence and Myrrh (or whatever) and it was these exact same gifts that were returned to Jesus on his birth.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LMAO, spirits of old rising up from dead threads and haunting the present...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I used the Wise Men to argue against Christmas - should be celebrated at the Feast of The Epiphany - or of course like the Orthodox Church Xams should be celebrated January 6th

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

NECROMANCY!!!! Careful, or we'll turn out like Russell.

• anewme
    anewme

This is very interesting to read very old posts.
    I am from the future!
    Greetings to you from September 2005!
    I have tired of the present day conversations and am doing research into the past.

• Anitar
    Anitar

Wow this post is six years old and has only been viewed about 850 times?

What am I doing, no one's ever going to read this...

Just kidding

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

(In spooky low voice) - Could this be ... the true thread that wouldn't die?

Back on topic, it is an angle that I never thought about - God providing the wealth they needed to travel to and live in Egypt.

I don't think there was anything evil about the wise guys going to Herod first, they just went to the most obvious place to find royalty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit