Did You Stifle a "Gift" That You Could Have Grown Because You Were A JW?

by minimus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• foreword
    foreword

In a sense they did stop me for a while, but i've never been without practicing music, even when a witness. It was too wordly then to make a go at it. Classical and jazz were more accepted but not many witnesses worked as musicians. Nobody studied anything when a witness, much less music.

At 19, I would create, write and record songs having up to ten tracts of music. This without theoretical knowledge of music or recording engineering. Some of those songs were played at weddings (cause at the time I would write ballads or waltzes for friends as a wedding gift). Mostly instrumentals though. This was done using a two track reel to reel, and I would play all instruments ( guitar, bass, piano and percussions). Most people who have heard my music seem to enjoy it.

On average, I practice an hour a day and my guitar playing is getting pretty decent. I've got plenty of songs and riffs to make a few albums. I just need to polish some lyrics, that's next.

No they never would have been able to separate me from music, cause that's where I go to get away from it all. And it's still fun. The beauty with talent, is that it never goes away, you are always free to use or develop it. No one can take that away from you.

Oops sorry, this was not the rant thread....

• freedom96
    freedom96

Yes, certainly time as affected what I have been able to accomplish. But, I have not allowed that to stop me. I will not allow the WTS or anyone else to keep me from doing the things I want to do, and to do them the best of my ability.

So I lost a few years. So I lost my first 25. You know what, I still have plenty of time to change and do what I want to. And so does everyone else here, even if you are 80. No excuses. Whatever it is that you have always wanted to do, go for it. Play that intrument, do that athletic sport, watch that movie, write that book,...... just do it, and don't allow all those damn years wasted keep you from doing it.

It is so easy to give up. But this is your life, your shot. Make it worth something. Every day I get better at the things that mean something to me. It could be my work, my hobbies, my being a dad, being a better husband, whatever it is, screw the past. I live for today, and for tomorrow.

The future is all ours. No more meetings, no more service, no more personal study time. Go live your life! Enjoy!

I believe in the saying "Life is God's gift to you, and what you do with your life is your gift back to God."

• Agent Double- O- Soul
    Agent Double- O- Soul

What gets me, thinking about it now, is that it was ok for Hank Marvin & George Benson to be working, & now Venus Williams & sis, Prince or the Artist or whatever he's now called & Larry Graham ( at least I think LG's involved ) , but negativity would come our way if we did anything remotely similar or even just wanted to. Me I was born with a silver spoon in me mouth of sorts. Mum sat me at a piano when I was somewhere near 2 years old, held my wee fingers & did 'chopsticks' , & the way she tells the story is that she went out the room & a few moments later she heard me playing that tune. She used to mention too how I started talking when I was 9 months old. For years I didn't know what that meant but I think it's coz that's kinda early, no? So anyway yeah there's probably a few directions guitar wise I could've explored but the vibe of it being 'worldly' plus maybe also the feeling that you'd be 'contradicting' certain things you'd heard brought about enough fear & guilt to stifle you. As one bloke I remember would call them - 'the right - wingers of the truth' . It's funny how, even then, you knew through experience that there were different versions of the truth concerning what's 'acceptable' depending on who you were talking to & where you lived but it was always the most limited thinking dudes that had the impact, probably coz they're always the loudest characters when it came to making their ideas known. So yeah I sympathise with someone who could've been doing something vital work & time's passed them by but that's true also that we need to try & not be similar negative figures - 'specially with ourselves! I've had enough of being tramped on & beat by some narrow - minded clot. No way am I joining in! However, if some here might not now see all their potential fulfilled for some reason, then that's a real shame. Maybe we should all write to the above artists or their congregations & let them know that we are all seriously 'stumbled' by 'what they're doing'. Get them to have to give up what they love doing & see how it feels. Well, I probably dont have the heart even for that. Anyway, I'm now working on me 3 track promo CD with me pc, then the rest of my stuff for a full album, & then.......

who knows!

Rock & Roll you dudes

00-Soul xxoo

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

The JW program 'stifles' talents. I myself never allowed it, I guess I would be considered a 'rebel' but I didn't get any flack. I have always encourage people witness or not to reach for the moon, and I still do. There's enough pain in the world to go around and we don't need the witness program to 'intense' the pain.

Guest 77

• Simon
    Simon

I was pretty musical and came top of my school year at music. Of course I couldn't persue it or learn any instrument because playing in the orchestra (eg ... at school assembly) was a no-no.

It would have been nice to have got some better qualifications with further education but again, this was frowned upon.

• Hamas
    Hamas

I could have taken the gift of life, yet the Watchtower seized it from me

• minimus
    minimus

SIMON, You were the Society's worst nightmare. An internet genius!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit