Did You Stifle a "Gift" That You Could Have Grown Because You Were A JW?

by minimus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I see a lot of talent here. Those that love music, poetry, literature,etc.......Do you feel that if you weren't a Witness, that you could have grown in your talent or "gift"?

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

YES!!! But mostly I feel that if I hadn't been a witness, I would have been free to discover WHO I was way before now--I'm 35 and still trying to get rid of my fears and figure it out. It just really proves to me how much we should encourage children to BE themselves, and NOT what WE want. That alone has been the most detrimental to my happiness, which in turn contributes to my not being able to figure out what my talents are--and I come from a long line of artists.

Becky

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I stifled a lot of gifts. I'm in my early 30s and just now realizing I have a bit of athletic talent in me. As well as artistic talent. (I love photography!) None of that was cultivated when I was younger, so I feel like I'm a late bloomer.

I met a lady in Latvia last summer that inspired me to pursue my gifts, even though a little behind schedule. She was 93 years old and faithfully came to English class every day on our mission trip. She was dying of cancer and only had 3 - 6 months to live. When asked why she came every day despite her ill health and little time left. She said "I've just always wanted to learn English. Why not enjoy my last days doing what I want?" I loved that! So I'm trying to have the same attitude. Better late than never, right?

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Yep. But I can also thank my parents for that one, too.

"I was just following orders."

• Ghost of Esmeralda
    Ghost of Esmeralda

Yes. The words "Full talent scholarship" still ring in my head. Along with the words "Lyric Soprano" and "You can quit your day job, I can get you work singing right now." Words from the music professor I was auditioning for.

I could've had years in music. Now I'm too sick to go back to school, and it makes me so sad.

My father said if I took the scholarship, I'd have to move out. Mom waffled, but in the end said it wasn't a "theocratic career choice" to go into theater...

essie

• happyout
    happyout

Yes, I definitely had (have) talent in the performing arts area. I took acting classes, was in several plays and one commercial, and sing. However, these were not deemed to be theocratic pursuits, so after I graduated high school, I was really not encouraged to pursue any of those fields.

Of course, as far as acting, it's never too late, and when my son is older, and our finances are more stable ( it could happen), then I plan to apply for a commercial agent and see what happens.

Happyout (not giving up on her dreams yet)

• minimus
    minimus

Essie, so sad to see the waste of wonderful talent. What's worse is the threats to get kicked out of the house for becoming somebody in this world. At least today's generation of Witnesses has a little chance to use their God given talents fully.

• openminded
    openminded

I was gifted when it came to athletic talent and ability. Peers (and coaches) from school would often remark about how good I was despite the fact that my parents would not let me participate in organized sports. I was allowed to play baseball my 6th and 7th grade year and was made a starter immediatly. By the second season, I was the lead-off batter on a team that ended up winning our regional tourney (I didnt get to play in the tourney though, after I started every game, because my parents were moving that weekend and were clueless as to how important those games were to me). One of my peers at the time ended up making it to the Major Leagues and pitched briefly for the Arizona Diamondbacks - several others made it to division 1 and 2 colleges on full scholarships. My real passion though was for football. I do not have the words necessary to express the regret I have for not getting a chance to play football, basketball, and baseball in high school. The football team used to walk past my house everyday to practice and I used to sit in our bathroom and watch out the window with tears streaming down my face as I watched kids with much less talent than myself get opportunities to play.

I will never forgive the people/organization who stood between me and my passion. They will NEVER understand what they took from me.

REPERATIONS NOW!

om

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Most definately. Being artistic, I had dreams of going to an art school, but of course college was a no-no. I dreamed of doing theatre, but that wasn't allowed either. So I would attend play after play, wishing I was the one up on stage. Atleast my mom did let me take dance classes for 6 years ( although my worldly grandparents paid for it.....thanks grammie and grampa ).

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Yes!

My mother (unbeliever, like my dad) offered to pay my way through theatrical school after high school. Unfortunately I "found the truth" <barf!!> at the wrong moment. If only the Unitarians or the Satanists or somebody ELSE had found me first, I coulda been Kathy Bates by now.

I used to write poetry and fragments of fantasy stories. Thank the alleged god, I'm getting that back! I've been told repeatedly that "you ought to publish these. Soon." Would like to have a volume of poetry put together within a year or two.

And, goddammit, I had to leave the Trewf before I discovered that I'm not only employable but probably INDISPENSABLE! My boss is working on a double pay raise (double because I'm the lowest-paid of our already underpaid admin staff; the second pay raise is for all of us) which means I have to be promoted. I'm a good admin, which I never would have suspected as a stay-at-home jaydub wife, but what's really weird is that I'm starting to LIKE it.

Yes, I'm getting my gifts back; but I'll never get back those 25 wasted years. Well, at least I can leave a couple books behind me. And at least my kids are getting to live the life I wanted.

GentlyFeral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit