Infant baptism?

by blondie 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

Can you imagine a six year old getting DFed?

The society has always encouraged those considering baptism to be old enough to make a conscience decision on their own, and be old enough to realise the serious implications of baptism.

Let's suppose a six year old is caught playing "nasty" with a neighborhood friend. Mom walks in and catches them. Now mom must report this immoral behavior to the elders because this is loose conduct and a serious matter. Now little johnny has to come before a judicial committee because he is a baptised publisher....................and the story goes on.

In reality the elders would handle Johnny differently than if he were a 18 year old,....... but the point is made.

My sister was 13 when she got baptised when all you did was sit in a room with other candidates and it was conducted as a bookstudy was. You raised your hand and answered the questions. All in the room were then eligible once the study was over. She started smoking soon after that and we shunned her...( the siblings who were married at that time ). Later in her life she was told she was too young and we didn't have to treat her in this matter. They said her baptism didn't have to be viewed as valid considering her age at the time.

So what now happens when a six year old in the "truth" steals something, plays "nasty" or does anything else that is a serious matter? Do they just pass it off as they are too young? If they are too young.........then they shouldn't be getting baptised.

Gumby

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Good one, Gumby. No, as a matter of fact, I can't. Excellent point.

SPAZ

• Gopher
    Gopher

Even more...can you imagine this 6-year-old being shunned by the congregation, or by the whole dang circuit at a circuit assembly?

Can you imagine other JW kids in his school avoiding him on the playground because he's DF'd?

And what "works befitting repentance" would you ask this first-grader to display? What if the 6 year old continues to manifest an independent attitude? What will his family life be like growing up in the JW's? What kind of a happy childhood would even be possible?

Editorial comment: OF COURSE no 6-year-old understands the ramifications of baptism. It's not just a matter of "do you want to serve Jehovah or not"? Jehovah's Witnesses ought to be embarrassed that child baptism is practiced in their group!

• Xena
    Xena

I imagine they would say that this is a "safeguard" for the child. Growing up not getting baptised was a way to ensure you could do what you wanted and not worry about getting d/fed...they used to "mark" unbaptised ones who engaged in "wrong doing" but I believe that was done away with years ago. So now you get your kid baptised early and hope the thought of being d/fed and shunned by their family and friends causes them to toe the org line.

Nothing like a bit of mental pressure to ensure the correct behavior in your drones, huh? Pretty sick to do this to a child....

• Scully
    Scully

Child baptisms among JWs have always been a sore point for me too. My parents disagree with it too. They would not allow me to get baptized with my 12 and 13 year old friends, even though I could answer the questions in the Organized book without any difficulty. Incidentally, every one of my friends who *did* get baptized at 12 and 13, ended up getting in trouble and either publicly reproved or DFd before they were out of their teens.

I think more and more JWs are using early baptism of their kids as a competitive thing to "prove" who is the more Spiritual™ family in the congregation/circuit. The kids are held back from things like sports, music, dancing, gymnastics, etc that their peer group are able to do, so the parents have no "bragging rights" insofar as their children's accomplishments go. The only things the children are able to aspire to are Theocratic Goals™. Hence you have the plethora of JW kids who are being home-schooled and dragged out in field service a few times a week (instead of going on real field trips to museums and cultural events). You have kids who are pushed into baptism early so that they can "officially" pioneer, even though they've been doing it for years with their parents.

The competitive nature of many families in the congregations is at the root of this problem. It's natural to want to feel a sense of pride that your child is good at something, but when they really aren't allowed to do anything that falls outside the realm of Theocratic Activities™, you have to create opportunities for your kids that are Theocratically Approved™, like the Who-Goes-In-Service-the-Most Competition, and the Who-Is-the-Youngest-on-the-Theocratic-School Competition, and the Who-Got-Baptized-the-Youngest Competition.

It's really quite sad.

Love, Scully

• observador
    observador

Sorry folks for asking this, but what's PLN? Any website or something?

• blondie
  • Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

That entire scenario makes me sick.

Baptizing a 6 year old? Jehovah's Witnesses pride themselves on not having infant baptisms, making it a point to say that only those of age who are aware of the dedication they are making do so. Jesus was allegedly 30 when he was baptized, yet they approve of a mere child here?

The hypocrisy is astounding.

What IF this child got DF'ed? Theoretically all it would take is some mishap at school. A birthday party, a Valentine's Day card, accepting Halloween or Xmas presents. What then? Does the entire family and congregation shun and humiliate a CHILD?

This child has all the years of junior high school and high school to come of age. I HIGHLY doubt this person will still be a faithful, loyal, baptized Dub 15 years from now at age 21.

• gumby
    gumby

Reborn deserves to burn in hell for stealing gumbys thoughts and not reading posts before he posts. May you sincerely repent before this awfull event happens my boy.

Gumby

• madamewalker
    madamewalker

Oh the fury.

I was baptized at 13 or 14 -- its VERY funny that I can't remember exactly. Actually, maybe I was fifteen by then. Who knows.

There was a clique of young sisters that were in the same grade that were pretty much in a race to get to the baptism pool before any of the others; literally 'last one in's a rotten egg.' I was the only one who didn't have an 'elder' as a father, much less a father in the truth.

Like others mentioned, if I can't drive, marry or enter the military until 18, how am I able to make a LIFE ALTERING decision, one that will deem me unfit to talk to or associate with if I don't fully understand the consequences of my actions?

Yet they allow it, and it's what has happened to me. The other 50% of my decision was made because I wanted to please my mother. She's a single mother in the 'truth' and I knew she'd be happy if I got baptized (considering my older and younger brother were too smart to get wrapped up in it).

Sickening, it really is. Isn't there a way to SUE for mental anguish or something? I'm dead serious. Do they tell these minors that if they should simply decide (or rather THINK, God forbid, pun not intended) it is no longer the life they want to lead that they will not be able to SPEAK to those members of their family in the 'truth'? Of course not.

Sick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit