I can’t find it!

by Truth and Justice 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

I need some serious help on something that I read here on this board, and so I am going to do my best to explain what I’m looking for. I need this, so I can’t share with my brother who is still in.

It has to do with the organization saying in affect that each member in the congregation has the right to decide for themselves what they choose to do, (that is whether they choose to be apart of the organization without repercussions) and that they would not think of interfering with our own conscience, and that if they chose otherwise that it would be THEIR own decision.

Now some might think that the society wouldn’t write something like that, but they did, and I read it, and after reading it, I said to myself “They don’t follow this, they never have.”

If you could locate this for me, I would be very grateful!

Happy Trails to all!! T n T

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Seems like there was something like that in an Awake article (late 60s) about examining your religion, as well as in something similar in the Truth Book. Have you looked at jwfacts?

• krismalone
    krismalone

Proclaimers page. 628 - That section is talking about "apostates" and it gives examples of prominent persons in the WT that raised troubles for the Borg.

At the end of the page it states that these ones (apostates, troublemakers) certainly had the right to believe in private whatever they wanted to. But the problem lies in TALKING to others or spreading your ideas that are against the WT Corporation that makes a person guilty of causing divisions.

That paragraph can save you from being disfellowshipped even if you tell elders in their face that the WT is a cult and the Governing Body are deceitful, delusional, conmen. As long as you don't go around talking to others about your contrary beliefs.

Freedom of speech is taken away from the JW members.

There was a brief time circa 1980 (Raymond Franz responsible for this) where the WT sent letters to elders and traveling overseers stating that anyone who holds personal beliefs contrary to the Cult would need to be disfellowshipped even if they didn't promote or talk about those beliefs to others. A copy of this letter is in Crisis of Conscience.

Hope this helps.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

Some of you here are like Google for finding info ! [Wiki-postate]

• sir82
    sir82

That paragraph can save you from being disfellowshipped even if you tell elders in their face that the WT is a cult and the Governing Body are deceitful, delusional, conmen. As long as you don't go around talking to others about your contrary beliefs.

Just a word of caution:

Any JW can be disfellowshipped for any reason that 3 elders agree on.

A paragraph in a book won't "save" you if the elders are determined to get you.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    krismalone - "Freedom of speech is taken away from the JW members."

I remember the moment - about 10 years back - reading through the Wikipedia section on the WTS (I was still in at the time) and coming across the statement: "while the WTS has championed freedom of speech in the courts, they do not practice it internally" (paraphrasing, but that's the gist)...

...and to my dismay, I could not, in all honesty, argue with it.

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Thank you all for your help!

Krismalone, I will look up that in the proclaimers book if I can locate online.

I hope I will find more on this, seem like they had said something more additional in the last 5-7 years.

you don’t need to google anything, just come straight to this board, and youll get the answers.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    "We need to examine, not only what we per­sonally believe, but also what is taught by any religious organization with which we may be asso­ciated. Are its teachings in full harmony with God’s Word, or are they based on the traditions of men? If we are lovers of the truth, there is nothing to fear from such an examination. It should be the sincere desire of every one of us to learn what God’s will is for us, and then to do it.—John 8:32." ~ The Truth Book (Chap 2, Par 5) [Bold highlight added]
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The following quote is taken from the article “Is it Wrong to Change Your Religion?” in the July 2009 Awake p29: “No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family.”

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/174959/no-one-should-made-choose-lies-from-july-09-awake

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It may be more effective to manipulate your brother into making a statement that you know that the WT contradicts, then putting the onus on him to do the research to prove the statement to you.

JWs think that they have all the answers, so instead of confronting them with a statement that you have to back up, ask a question that you know they can't answer, then use guilt and their own self proclaimed despise of double standards to keep them honest and on topic when they try to weasel their way out of an honest answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit