in the U.S., be careful what you read

by teejay 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Hamas
    Hamas
    Hamas, what is your freakin' point about Time being Jewish-controlled. This better be good, or you'll be the next JJRizzo.

I see the legend of this guy surfaces again. I see he posts at another JW forum, I don't know who he is or what he thinks. My point is, Francois, I wouldn't listen to what they have to say, or their warnings.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Imagine my surprise when my Jewish boyfriend told me that there IS a Zionist agenda out there....

Robyn

• Hamas
    Hamas
    Nazi apologist and Holocaust denier, with a wonderful obsession about the world being controlled by Zionists

If he is a Nazi apologist and Holocaust denier, then he is a fool. However, If he believes Zionists are aiming to control foriegn affairs, push America into a war against their ( zionist ) enemies then he maybe has a point.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Imagine my surprise when my Jewish boyfriend told me that there IS a Zionist agenda out there....

Well, by definition, Zionists have an agenda; namely, the support and development of the state of Israel.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

OK, which of you have had a personal civil liberty violated. Be specific. Aside from having court supervision, this law has been challenged and found constitutional. I thought ya'll believed in the Judicial Process laid out in the constitution.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    OK, which of you have had a personal civil liberty violated. Be specific. Aside from having court supervision, this law has been challenged and found constitutional. I thought ya'll believed in the Judicial Process laid out in the constitution.

Is it possible that something could be declared constitutional and still be wrong? Or do you define right and wrong by whatever the Supreme Court declares constitutional?

• freedom96
    freedom96

I firmly believe, that if I am a good guy, work hard, provide for my familly in all areas, enjoy my friends, and obey my personal morals, I will never encounter anyone from the government. No one is going to be checking up on me, and if they do, I have a clean slate. I have no issues. So check all you want. I have nothing to hide. My personal liberties have not been taken. I still go to ball games, pursue business, enjoy friends and family, go to the beach, see movies, eat at nice restuarants, play with my kids, drive my cars, play sports, travel, etc. I do everything I want to do. No one has taken that away from me. No one ever will.

These laws are intended for the evil ones, the bad guys. If I live a good moral life, I just don't see where someone is going to bother me. I have nothing to hide. So what if they check?

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

There are cases where the Supreme Court's decisions have been ignored.

For instance the "Trail of Tears" removal of Cherokee Nation residents to Oklahoma was preceded by a Supreme Court ruling which forbade the parcelling of Cherokee land by Georgia lottery. After the ruling President Jackson said regarding the Chief Justice, "John Marshall has made his decision; let him enforce it now if he can." That was the basic problem.. the Constitution was not explicitly set up with a view of having the Supreme Court interprete constitutional law, perhaps. But the powers were there, and were used fairly early in the history of the federal government (there was no equivalent under the Articles of Confederation). At the same time, to a certain degree the Supreme Court is a paper tiger. It has no real powers of enforcement, at all. President Jackson was aware of this.

There have been plenty of times where the Supreme Court was wrong, of course, or have reversed themselves from previous rulings. Their reversal on Jim Crow laws comes to mind.

So yes it is possible to override the constitution (or the Supreme Court's interpretation of it) calling something right or wrong. But it takes cajones and a massive amount of public support.

• seawolf
    seawolf

I read about this back in March. I never thought of posting it here or else I would have....

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/03/10/MN14634.DTL

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

It's a very terrible thing to see that picture. Sad that shortsided Americans allowed our freedoms to be cashed in on an empty promise of security.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit