Terry's Editorial on the Pledge of Allegiance

by TerryWalstrom 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Terry's Editorial on the Pledge of Allegiance
    _____

Can one child in a thousand actually define the word or give the meaning of "Allegiance?" Can you--without stumbling around about it?

Give me a moment of your time, will you?

Image may contain: 8 people, people smiling

First, in Medieval times, wealthy landowners allowed peasants to cultivate their property as long as these pitiful souls made a pledge of fealty or allegiance to become a soldier for that Lord of the Manor if he needed to go to war against some imagined enemy.

"You want a place to live and a meal for your hard labor--then you must promise to die on my behalf."

THAT, my friends, was a Pledge of Allegiance.

Fast forward to modern times.

Having a small child place his or her hand over their tiny beating heart and reciting an oath to Flag/Republic under GOD is something with a name: Theocracy.
    Combining religious ritual and the political rule is Theocracy.

Patriotism is necessary, of course, but a coerced surrender of one's soul to politics is another.

I had school chums who died in Vietnam. Why?
    On friend was drafted and another volunteered. Their deaths came at a cost. What did it really pay for?
    I refused Military Service as a JW. Since Jr. High School I had refrained from patriotic participation having been taught it was "blasphemy".
    What I did was the product of undue influence (persuasion against my best interests) the same as my school chums with patriotic duty. Two heads of the same Hydra.

Our American Wars since WWII have not been legally "declared" wars.
    Our Corporate, Military/Industrial/religious foundation is rife with self-interest, money, and corruption.
    Wars fought to support corruption under the guise of patriotic duty are abominable.

We still have young Americans dying in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria...Why?
    Politics.
    Anyway...
    UNDUE INFLUENCE is vile. Creating little patriots who will die for the whims of global politics is abominable!

Teaching children to love the freedoms and opportunities of America is wonderful.
    That's the end of this editorial. Your mileage may vary.
    ____
    HISTORY NOTE
    In 1891, the family magazine Youth’s Companion asked 35-year-old Francis Bellamy, a former pastor of Boston’s Bethany Baptist Church, to fashion a patriotic program for schools around the country to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus’s “arrival in America” by “raising the U.S. Flag over every public school from the Atlantic to the Pacific.”
    Through the pledge, Bellamy sought to define “true Americanism” against the rising tide of southern and eastern European immigrants “pouring over our country” in the early 20th century from “races which we cannot assimilate without a lowering of our racial standard.” Although Bellamy conceded that “the United States has always been a nation of immigrants,” he argued that “incoming waves of immigrants … are coming from countries whose institutions are entirely at variance with our own.”

Decrying the character and “quality” of these recent newcomers, Bellamy lamented that “we cannot be the dumping ground of Europe and bloom like a flower garden.” To him, “every dull-witted and fanatical immigrant” granted citizenship threatened the American Republic.

____

Links: http://eagnews.org/parents-fight-back-after-school-drops-pledge-of-allegiance-for-student-authored-oath-to-global-society/https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/made-by-history/wp/2017/11/03/the-ugly-history-of-the-pledge-of-allegiance-and-why-it-matters/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e637ebc123be

• never a jw
    never a jw

Patriotism is a form of tribalism. The pledge of allegiance is one of the indoctrination tactics that the tribe uses. Trump supporters love their tribe, their sacred text ( Constitution and Bible), their pledge of allegiance.

Let's review, it's a cult!

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

It is for these very reasons, I believe, we have new generations of very cynical kids.
    Finally, the curtain pulls back and the death's head peers back at them demanding fealty and they demur.
    It isn't a virtue to demur, it is an act of self-interest. The good kind.
    Our newspapers and news media have been bought with corporate money and politics is as much a servant of money as it has ever been. Who is left to refuse war?
    War is just GREAT for industry.
    The same billionaires own a piece of all the above.
    Our kids will die for Apple, Amazon, MSNBC, and General Electric.
    Now that is a Pledge of Allegiance I can't wait to hear.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

The free public schools systems of every country is not a real education, to get that one has to pay for it by a private school. A free government education is merely some basic in spelling grammer and math with a corrupt version of history that keeps everybody in the country on the same page and easier to govern. It easier to indoctrinate the young and have the young men ready to give up their lives in warfare if needed killing whom ever the government labels the enemy.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I wonder what other countries have similar to our own Pledge? I'll have to do some research.

• Brokeback Watchtower
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Terry you know Edward Bernays, was Sigmond Freud double nephew who learn a lot about basic unconscious drives we have from his uncle and made a fortune giving advice to corporations and our government about how to get people to do what you want. The vague term:" Fighting for Freedom" was his propaganda idea for the US.

Government gotta do what they gotta do to control people and as long as humankind has an aggressive state that predominates the world so the need to stay militarized,, I wonder what type of impact a fighting AI army will make on the need for a human army to fight and saying the pledge in the future?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

The phrase, "...a fighting A.I. army" sends chills...

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Children being required to recite the pledge on a daily basis in schools is ridiculous!

My wife doesn't require me to recite my marriage vows each day. We did that once, and the value of those vows stands.

Why the need for constant recital of a vow if one is confident in it?

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Stuckinarut2 I never look at it that way before. Good illustration on this subject. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit