How do Jehovah's Witnesses differ from first century Christians?

by Vanderhoven7 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

VANDERHOVEN7:

Some good examples are mentioned here…

However, the world today is a very different place than the world of the 1st century. In fact, the whole planet is different.

There are things that might have been done in the First Century (in the Middle East) that somebody might have a problem with now. I’m speaking about certain oddballs who thought they were going to roam around like vagabonds or live off the land imagining that’s what the disciples did.. Well, whose land?? For one thing, if somebody even wanted to go fishing they would need permits, etc. Since most of the land is either owned by the government or individuals, hungry people couldn’t just poach whatever off the property. I mean they could try but what happens when they are caught?

Also, this isn’t the culture of ancient times where people take guests in as a custom (well, not unless you want a problem with squatters who won’t leave). Also, people are less trustworthy today, in my opinion, and that’s putting it mildly. Whereas people from a distant era had codes of honor.

So, I don’t really think there is a fair comparison between now and the first century.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi LHG,

Yes, times change. Hopefully though that should not change Christianity or it's message. JWs are the ones that claim they are most like first century Christians. My belief is to the contrary. As you say, I do believe we are seeing some revealing distinctions being made.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It's just a perceptual bias leading you to believe people are less trustworthy today than 2000 years ago. Those who would break into your car today, would have robbed your ass back then. Ba-dum-bum

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Q.: How do Jehovah's Witnesses differ from first century Christians?

A.: Today's Jehovah's Witnesses have not been dead for nearly 2,000 years.

• Linda14
    Linda14

23. Didn't need to study long book to be baptized.

24. Belief in Jesus was the basic knowledge for salvation.

25. No changing light of so called 'truth'.

26. Jesus directed affairs through the holy spirit, not any GB.

27. Jesus appointed individuals who served as the Slave. This slave could refer to those who were divinely appointed to form congregation and teach them like Paul, all the apostles and others.

28. Truth was transmitted through individuals not a group of men.

29. Letters were written directly to congregation the individual apostles without needing scrutiny by GB.

30. Spiritual gifts were available.

31. There were what witnesses today will call interfaith activities as they attended synagogue with ease. Not that they joined Judaism but no one saw it as evil to attend what then was a rejected religion.

32. Reproof then was a bible based talk from the platform disproving a divergent opinion held by some in the Cong. Divergent opinion was not as evil as it is now. Even when it should even be more respected now since the GB is not inspired.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Wow Linda. Thanks for those thought provoking differences.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Nathan

A New Testament professor once told me I was the silliest boy in the class.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

From the rewritings of Paul and John of Patmos you can clearly see they were just as good at inside politics, class division, and fables like resurrection and Jesus. Paul’s writings was mostly begging for money and telling others what to do. It was a scam, much like it was today.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

And the biggest one of them all was , they bore witness to Jesus not Jehovah!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

33 "...they bore witness to Jesus not Jehovah!"

Worthy of repetition Nowwhat!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit