Mormon Malaise?

by NeonMadman 19 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Well, I was supposed to have a visit from some Mormon "elders" tonight, but they called about 5 minutes after they were supposed to be here and said they couldn't make it and could we reschedule? I was a bit irritated, since I had changed my plans for the evening to accommodate them, but I didn't express my irritation.

I wonder if they are being affected by the same sort of malaise that seems to be afflicting the JW's. I could just as easily have told them to go fly a kite, and then I'd have been damned forever, all because they couldn't keep an appointment!

When they finally do come, however, I have some juicy questions lined up for them...

• freedom96
    freedom96

It is fun playing with them isn't it?

• Francois
    Francois

Hey, when they come, would you ask a couple of questions for me?

First, is it really true that the location of the golden plates of the Book of Mormon was revealed to whoever it was it was revealed to by a white salamander? I've heard lots about that white salamander.

Second, I read a book one time called the Mormon Murders. Could you ask about the inside skinny on that?

I'd really appreciate it.

Many Thanks,
    francois

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Hey, when they come, would you ask a couple of questions for me?

Sure, why not? But if you want to play for yourself, all you have to do is go to their web site, and request a free Book of Mormon. Guess how it will be delivered?

I read The Mormon Murders, too, quite a few years ago. As I recall, it seemed to have been a pretty straightforward case of murder in order to cover the perp's tracks for document forgery. I don't think it nevessarily reflected badly on the LDS Church itself, at least not in any way that I recall.

• gumby
    gumby

Here some stuff on it Frank,

Mark Hofmann, 32, pled guilty to two bombing murders in Salt Lake City in 1985, a case that made national headlines. Apparently a successful rare documents collector and church-going family man, Hofmann was really a skillful forger and con artist. A third bomb accidentally exploded in his car, sending Hofmann to the hospital and his undoing. Many of his forgeries cast doubt on traditional views of early Mormonism and were potentially embarrassing to church leaders who purchased them. The leaders were in contact with Hofmann just prior to the murders, which were an attempt to prevent discovery and financial ruin. Hofmann killed an associate andto divert suspiciona stranger. Both books about this complex and fascinating case are well researched. The Mormon Murders is scathing in its criticism of the Mormon hierarchy for trying to cover up its involvement with Hofmann. The authors, both attorneys, believe that the prosecutor, a Mormon, was pressured to plea bargain in order to avoid a trial. Salamander, published in Salt Lake City by writers familiar with Mormon society, is a more matter-of-fact report, and while it is less dramatic, it is detailed and intelligent. The Mormom Murders may attract more readers, but both books can be recommended. Gregor A. Preston, Univ. of California Lib., Davis

Gumby

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Go get em NeonMadman!

They do not stand a chance against you if you are armed with knowledge of their doctrines.

Ask them about the golden plates in the book of Mormon. Ask them about the white salamander as Francois mentioned. Or to spark a topic much more relevant to today's society, ask them about their founder's beliefs in the status of a black person.

http://nowscape.com/mormon/negro.htm

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Not to be discouraging, but I sometimes messed with mormons when they came to my door. It was about as effective as trying to mess with the JWs. They'll just ignore stuff they cannot answer, or simply leave.

Let us know how it goes in any case!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Or to spark a topic much more relevant to today's society, ask them about their founder's beliefs in the status of a black person.

http://nowscape.com/mormon/negro.htm

Awesome site, Reborn, thanks! I printed it out and will definitely be using it. Maybe not on the first visit, I'd like to "reel them in" a bit with mostly questions based on their presentation, rather than a full-scale attack from the outset.

Next Tuesday night is the rescheduled date; I'll let you all know how it goes.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

You are more than welcome NeonMadman.

I love seeing cult-followers tuck tail and run like a scared dog when confronted with their own organization's doctrines.

If you actually take the time to sit and read the Mormon teachings of old (which to date have not been recanted) it is amazing the amount of sheer hatred and contempt that is directed towards people of color.

To Mormon prophets, they were to be viewed as subhuman animals that were beyond any form of redemption.

The ironic part is, this is the same church that has commercials on television proclaiming the love they have for fellow man. (Church of Jesus Christ and Latter-Day Saints)

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    If you actually take the time to sit and read the Mormon teachings of old (which to date have not been recanted) it is amazing the amount of sheer hatred and contempt that is directed towards people of color.

To Mormon prophets, they were to be viewed as subhuman animals that were beyond any form of redemption.

I've been around Mormans all my life, have several morman friends, attended their church meetings, been in numerous discussions about their beliefs and visited many, many websites, both pro and anti-morman. What you have just said - "sheer hatred and contempt" and "viewed as subhuman animals that were beyond any form of redemption" is just NOT true and only perpetuates false information.

What is true is that years ago, Mormans did discriminate regarding blacks becoming church ministers and deacons or holding any administrative positions, which they claimed was scriptual. But their teachings were no different than those held for numerous years by white Christian congregations. In fact, Fred Price, a Black protestant minister did a series of lectures a few years ago here in L.A. regarding the history of black discrimination in the American christian churches and points to their ignorance in using so-called scriptures to keep blacks as a separate 'class' and denying them membership. At least the Mormans allowed blacks membership. If I'm not mistaken, there were several morman black families that settled Utah in the 1800's.

I might disagree with some morman doctrine, but I like all my morman friends, they're fun and and have a positive outlook on life, which is more than I can say of my JW friend who is always so negative and has few good things to say about anything. This website never fails to amuse me at the amount of misinformation people have about other religions - I still can't figure out if it's because so many here have been 'burned' by the JW's that everything is skewed or they just enjoy knocking any religion or belief in general.

You can take any religion, and I mean ANY and cull their history to find their qwerks. I was reading the other day about a quote from Martin Luther that said something to the effect of 'what good are woman, except for breeding more men'.... now there's a man to follow - NOT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit