If your cat catches a mouse, . . .

by compound complex 9 Replies latest social humour

• compound complex
    compound complex

take it away, bleed it, give it back.

Reading about the gingerbread man reminded me of this:

How irrational the Society could be was experienced by the sister-in-law of ex-bethelite William (Bill) Cetnar when ...

at the suggestion of her veterinarian, she had a blood transfusion given to her poodle to prolong its life. She couldn't believe Bill [Cetnar]when he told her that the Society would say she had violated God's law. At his urging she wrote the Society on the matter and the response she received informed her that she had done wrong. Phyllis thought that this was ridiculous. She wrote again and asked if her cat eating a mouse would also be a problem; was this too against God's law? She was told that she should keep the cat under restraint and be more careful in handling it. She thought to herself, "How many cats have I seen which have drained the blood of their mouse victim before eating it?"

Recounted by Joan Cetnar

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/205253/blood-ban-your-pets

• Magnum
    Magnum

I've had experience with the animal blood transfusion issue. I had a really sick raccoon. The vet I took it to said it needed a transfusion to save it. I agreed, being fully aware that transfusions even for animals were forbidden in JW land. At that point, I didn't care; I was waking up, and I wanted to save my precious coon.

I admire Phyllis. That's a really good point about cats eating mice. Also, what about animals that eat blood directly such as mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, leeches, and some bats?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Magnum, for your reply. I hope your 'coon recovered.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Yh, i guess that means that cat wont get a resurrection... ???

Jesus died for the sins of cats and racoons too?

• sir82
    sir82

How thoroughly bizarre.

What are they going to do, disfellowship the cat?

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I used to be a veterinary nurse before I became a JW and an elder told me I would have to account to God for all the animals I helped put to sleep. That preyed on my mind the whole time I was in.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    • Amelia Ashtongo
      I used to be a veterinary nurse before I became a JW and an elder told me I would have to account to God for all the animals I helped put to sleep. That preyed on my mind the whole time I was in.

So I presume this elder was a vegetarian? Didn't think so...

Sometimes I really do think jws are like Winnie-the-pooh who lamented he was "really a bear of little brain"

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

I say, if your cat catches a mouse, send it to the Governing Body and ask that they properly drain it for you : )

Oi the petty things they write.. the "we have an answer for everything" attitude - yeah, real humble.

• tiki
    tiki

This all reminds me of my crazy (truly) bro in law who was in love with his niece's rabbit. Well it died and he bawled..wailed...it was unbelievable. Anyhow he was sure the rabbit would be resurrected and hed be with the bunny. So....imagine a planet or celestial place hopping with all the resurrected bunnies that have gone over the rainbow bridge. Nice, huh.....

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    CC: She was told that she should keep the cat under restraint and be more careful in handling it.

Well, they were sort of right about that. But they missed a good opportunity to actually present her without the correct facts that a cat eating a mouse (and it's blood) would run a risk of catching a disease or picking up a parasite.

A cat that eats mice needs regular de-worming

But, to take the position that she should restrain the cat for the purpose of obeying a dusty old biblical 'law' about human beings abstaining from animal blood is borderline lunacy. Hell, no. It is lunacy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit