Watchtower Lawyer speaking in US Congres commission - picture

by Gorbatchov 20 Replies latest jw friends

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

This happened on June 14, 2000.

Here is the official transcript: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CHRG-106hhrg68022/html/CHRG-106hhrg68022.htm

In the second panel, it will hear from an experienced
    writer and observer of religious freedom issues who has worked
    in government, Mr. Jeremy Gunn; from a Methodist minister in
    Queens, New York, who has been active in the Religious Liberty
    Committee of the National Council of Churches, the Reverend
    ``Skip'' L'Heureux, Jr.; and from members of religious
    minorities working in Europe or who are involved in helping
    coreligionists there, Philip Brumley, General Counsel of
    Jehovah's Witnesses
    , and the Reverend Robert A. Hunt of the
    English-speaking Methodist congregation in Vienna, Austria;
    from an American businessman, who is a Scientologist, who will
    testify that his business is being threatened by a religiously
    based boycott, Mr. Craig Jensen; and from an American actress,
    Ms. Catherine Bell, star of the television show JAG, also a
    Scientologist, who will discuss the special problems faced by
    members of her church in Europe, particularly in Germany.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Londo111 - "...I wish ex-JWs, ex-Scientologists, etc. could have a huge legal department to represent them before courts and congresses. BTW, I suspect this is likely why Watchtower became a NGO on the UN and now of the OSCE."

Wait... you think the WTS started lobbying as a preemptive measure?

To counter a potentially significant legal front that the XJW community might initiate?

• Londo111
    Londo111
    A few unrelated thoughts not well articulated on my part.
  • sparky1
    sparky1

Phil darling..............how about a little drink after you are done with your boring meeting!

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

When I first got these information I was happy to see the WTS was involved with governments and was maybe transforming to a mainstream religion. So, first not bad at all.

Then they tried to hide the UN connection and got more distance again from mainstream in the perception to their members (they are at this moment still present at UN conferences).

So, the untruth in the perception to their own members did open my eyes for good.

Gorby

• Dagney
    Dagney

Warms my heart to see them seated at the same table with the Scientologists. May they have many joint ventures together for their mutual benefit.

I hate this religion.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Gorbatchov - "...I was happy to see the WTS was involved with governments and was maybe transforming to a mainstream religion..."

That'll happen...

x

...when this happens:

• JustVisting
    JustVisting
    Brother Brumley appearing before a US Congress Commission is similar to the Apostle Paul appealing to have his case heard before Ceasar, so it's all cool.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ JustVisiting...

Yeah...

...but as far as I know, the Apostle Paul was honest and forthright when he spoke to Caesar.

• steve2
    steve2

When it comes to the rights of the religious group, Governing Body lawyers will push themselves to the front of the queue and sup with the churches and sects of Christendom.

When it comes to the rights of individuals within the religious group, Governing Body lawyers will be lounging in the sun-soaked beaches of some Pacific paradise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit