What is the only sin you can't be repentant of?

by Swan 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Swan
    Swan

What is the only sin you can't be repentant of?

This is a question my pioneer brother posed to me as a riddle one day. He had gotten it while in the field service with the CO. The answer surprised and upset me.

Suicide. Because after you commit suicide, you are dead, and can't repent. This was the answer to the CO's riddle.

I went off and thought about it. I searched through the bound volumes for a Watchtower I had read on the subject. I showed it to my brother. In it was a paragraph I had remembered reading about people who had jumped off of high buildings and survived the fall. They reported that they had a change of heart during the fall.

Whether my brother took this information back to the CO or not I don't know. I was upset with the CO, however, and also a bit disheartened that he would have such an insensitive attitude toward such a serious subject. To me, this riddle was not only inaccurate, but entirely inappropriate.

You see, I had thought a lot about suicide. I had constructed several effective scenarios for doing it. I considered them my escape plans.

I had also began to have a lot of thoughts about other things. I was beginning to have my doubts about a religion where I was so desperate to escape that I would consider killing myself. Religion is supposed to be something that brings joy and satisfaction to your life, but I was miserable. Meetings were not encouraging, as so many said they were. They were actually discouraging to me. I felt better when I didn't go.

I have been thinking about all of this a lot since I read a recent thread about someone's dear friend who was DF and then committed suicide. I remembered back to when I thought constantly about suicide, back when I was a JW. It was a very difficult time for me. It was so different for me back then than it is now. I never think about it any longer. I sure did back then. It's not a subject for some smart-ass riddle. It's a serious problem. One that they will never take their responsibility for.

Tammy

• shamus
    shamus

Pretty pathetic, eh, Tammy? It's strange how they have no heart whatsoever, and claim to be god's spokesperson. You need to be in a lot of pain and psychological distress to commit suicide. To want to die is to have the worst pain of all; the type that you cannot cope with.

True christians are not that way, Tammy. The CO did not know what he was talking about. B/c he was part of the frigging organization, that has no heart whatsoever. They have no natural affection, no pity, no nothing. It is the exact opposite of what Jesus taught. They are disgusing as they are pharisees right down to the core.

The unforgiveable sin? Only god knows what that is. Not human beings. It is "the sin against the holy spirit". I think that if you did that kind of sin, you would know about it. Any persons whom have committed suicide due to emotional distress have surely not committed the unforgiveable sin. If human beings can understand this basic concept, think of how much more God feels. Don't let them fool you - THEY ARE PHARISEES, just like in Jesus time.

They disgust me, just thinking that crap.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

only sin you can't repent is willful self-inflicted ignorance. because as soon as you do repent you are no longer ignorant.

Ravyn

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Ahhh, the 'ol “Self Murder” crime.

Did not Jesus commit “self murder” when he refused Peter the right to defend him at the garden? Or, when he refused to defend himself before Pontius Pilot? Jesus let someone else “pull the trigger" for him, right? To avoid self murder, an ambush would have done nicely, thank you.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hi Tammy

Stuff like this really chaps my hide. I've no love at all for the organization, but in all fairness that CO did NOT say what the WTS says. This quote is old, but it's never been changed, as far as I could find:

*** w54 5/1 p. 286 Questions from Readers ***

The sins of suicide and murder need not be sins against the holy spirit, and, if not, would be forgivable.

In fact, the WT in recent years has made some remarkably sensitive comments about suicide.

You may already know that I too almost committed suicide, years ago. I'm glad your still here with us.

((Tammy)).

Craig

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Tammy this kind of stuff , the things people say ,,,,,,,errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

You can tell your brother to tell that C O that I said he can kiss my %$%#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can tell you what I read from the Watchtower myself and I have to admit it was quiet comforting to me as an active JW at the time.

As you know my mother jumped to her death and drowned, and if that C O would have said it to my face , he might be sporting a black eye........and did the C O actually call it a RIDDLE??????? How crude and insensitve they are.

Ok, I can't find where I read this but I do remember reading it somewhere in the Watchtower or Awake.

It said, that if a person committs suicide, only Jehovah God knows that persons heart, his pain, and if he WOULD have been repentant for it. It said we are not to judge but Jehovah alone knows that person and what they were going thru.

As you said, many try to commit suicide , nearly succedding only to regret it later , wholeheartedly. Who is to know what a person thinks as the last conscious thought goes on in their minds? I felt really good about this back then, because I had some people whisper these things behind my back and would tell others, also because my mom was just d/f for smoking.

I think this C O. needs to read up on what the Watchtower now says about this, unless it has changed in the last few years since I read this.

It took years of looking for the right thing that would comfort me and then it came out and I charished that article. It seems there was something in it also about a father who lost his son by suicide and he wrote letters to him , telling him about the things he felt and hopefully one day could give them to him in the resurrection. The Watchtower told this story and said , we can not say ,nor should we try to speculate on the mercies of Jehovah and that only he knows a person and the chance that person might be repentant.

I will try to find it .

• Maverick
    Maverick

That CO is an insensitive jerk! Most of the ones I met over the years were, too! The only unforgivable sin is claiming to speak for God and putting yourself ahead of Jesus as God's mediator....Which the WatchTower's own Governing Body has done. Maverick

• blondie
    blondie

When we die, we are no longer held accountable for past sins. That is why according to the WTS, people will be resurrected with a clean slate.

Romans 6:7

For he who has died has been acquitted from [his] sin.

1 Samuel 31:4

So Saul took the sword and fell upon it.

Yet Saul was given an honorable burial.

1 Samuel 31:13

Then they took their bones and buried them under the tamarisk tree in Ja´besh, and they went fasting for seven days.

7/1/76 p

Evidently cremation as part of an honorable burial occurred only in unusual cases, such as with Saul and his sons.—1 Sam. 31:8-13.

Blondie

James 2:13

For the one that does not practice mercy will have [his] judgment without mercy. Mercy exults triumphantly over judgment.
  • Realist
    Realist

sick bastards! if jesus would indeed exist i would love to hear what he thinks about them.

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

Tammy your post has welled up feelings in me that I had long thought dead. I to thought at legnth about killing myself as a method of escape. I was made feel by this organisation, these people that I was abnormal and that I needed to change my ways. The shock of my life happened when I finally got away from thos damn JWs to discover that there is absolutly nothing wrong with me! All those years growing up thinking that I was looked upon as crap in Jehovahs eyes. Well let me tell you your post has made me rethink about all those times and my heart is well and truely with you. What a very stupid man to make such a stupid question and answer topic to try and prove how spiritual he thought he was.

The levels of ignorance involved in being assosiated with JWs has no number, is infinately blind and disgusting.

monk3y

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit