Memorial Day Shame

by IslandWoman 17 Replies latest jw friends

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Today is Memorial Day in the United States, a day when soldiers killed in war are honored.

Those who served their country, died for their country, ......are remembered. Accolades, parades and flowers are all over the place but NO MONEY!!!!

Some soldiers qualify for food stamps, veterans are fearful of more cuts to their benefits. What is this Memorial Day anyway?

It's the usual "feel good" thing without substance.

Similar to the New York City Firemen who were so "loved" after 9/11, they are among the lowest paid public servants in the NE USA. LOL

Americans like to salute, pledge and march but "increase the wages of a guy who is willing to die for them? "Shut ya mouth man, I got my SUV to fill up!" is the call to reality coming down the pipe!

IW

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I feel more appreciated as a soldier now than I have in the last 17 years I've been associated with the US military. Having said that, there's still a lot more that needs to be done. Actually, though, to correct you, there haven't been cuts in spending of Veterans, only increases. But the increases are WAY TO SMALL. Plus, there are fake vets out there getting disability when they didn't even serve. (Check out the book "Stolen Valor" by BG Burkett). These fakes take valuable resources from those that really need them.

God Bles the USA and our Armed Forces.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I too appreciate what the war veterans have done in service to their country.

Memorial day is a day to "honor those who died in military service", as you said. We can't pay those who died any more. There is a "Veterans Day" holiday to appreciate the living former soldiers.

Yes the laws of supply-and-demand in our economy often warp things. Some movie stars get $20 million per movie. Some ballplayers get $10 million to $25 million a year because of how well they play a child's game.

And we don't pay teachers, firefighters, law enforcement personnel, or veterans enough. This is a systemic problem.

To say that we Americans don't really mean it when we express appreciation to those who put (or have put) their lives on the line, is assigning blame to the wrong people IMHO.

I don't know what can be done to make the system more equitable. In the case of veterans, our elected representatives need to be sure they're taken care of -- and perhaps the general public can show that they care by writing their representatives.

Outside of that, what would you propose?

• Shakita
    Shakita

IW:

There will always be those who abuse any system of government. No government will be able to provide 100% for every one of its citizens. I am not an apologist for the US government, but I am proud to be an American and respect other's opinions here who voice their disgust over the problems that must be addressed to improve the quality of life in America.

In honor of my Grandfather and Father who served in the Armed Forces, and for my Uncle Charlie who never came home.....

Proud To Be An American
    by Lee Greenwood

If tomorrow all the things were gone,
    I’d worked for all my life.
    And I had to start again,
    with just my children and my wife.
    I’d thank my lucky stars,
    to be livin' here today.
    ‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
    and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American,
    where at least I know I’m free.
    And I wont forget the men who died,
    who gave that right to me.
    next to you and defend her still today.
    ‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
    God bless the USA.

From the lakes of Minnesota,
    to the hills of Tennessee.
    Across the plains of Texas,
    From sea to shining sea.
    From Detroit down to Huston,
    and New York to L.A.
    Well there's pride in every American heart,
    and its time we stand and say.

That I’m proud to be an American,
    And I gladly stand up,
    God bless the USA.

And I’m proud to be and American,

And I gladly stand up,
    God bless the USA.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

In a Democracy the buck stops with the electorate, imo. The electorate gives power to men and women who will send our children into war, whether that war is justified or not! (Which is another issue, boys and girls in the military die sometimes for no good reason! The Vietnam "war" is an example of that.)

The electorate also decides what the priorities are: low taxes, good schools, welfare, gun control, environmental issues, and a whole lot of other stuff is given attention according to who gets elected by the electorate.

No soldier should qualify for food stamps, that is an abomination in a rich country which claims to honor and love its military. As for a cut back in veterans benefits, yes, I believe the government is or was considering such a thing.

IW

• TorturedSoul
    TorturedSoul

I watched the flag pass by one day.
    It fluttered in the breeze
    A young Marine saluted it, and then
    He stood at ease.
    I looked at him in uniform
    So young, so tall, so proud
    With hair cut square and eyes alert
    He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought, how many men like him
    Had fallen through the years?
    How many died on foreign soil?
    How many mothers' tears?
    How many Pilots' planes shot down?
    How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
    No, Freedom is not free.

I heard the sound of taps one night,
    When everything was still.
    I listened to the bugler play
    And felt a sudden chill.
    I wondered just how many times
    That taps had meant "Amen"
    When a flag had draped a coffin
    of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children,
    Of the mothers and the wives,
    Of fathers, sons and husbands
    With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard
    at the bottom of the sea
    Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
    No, Freedom isn't free!!

TS

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

TS... great poem...thanks.

Shakita... that song always puts a lump in my throat.

Yerusalym - thanks again for your service.... it is truly appreciated by many in this Country (and should be by many more)

• Litebriterstill
    Litebriterstill

Those poems are beautiful. My 9yr. old was in a parade with baton twirlers. I am glad we are Americans.

• Litebriterstill
    Litebriterstill

Those poems are beautiful. My 9yr. old was in a parade with baton twirlers. I am glad we are Americans.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Ooooh… You mean like what the Watchtower pays? Like the very low pay to the Bethel Brothers…or how they will kick you out after many years of full time service with no retirement benefits.....?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit