Use COMMON SENSE for Covid 19 - not LAWS!

by BoogerMan 24 Replies latest social current

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

So says former Justice of the Supreme Court, Lord Sumption. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86P7EEJeNKM

He correctly calls the "lockdown" for what it is - house-imprisonment. Boris should listen to him.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Trouble is that common sense is sadly lacking in the human population. The countries that have reduced the covid death toll ,and fared better overall have enforced strict lock downs . The far Eastern ones have often the type of system that enables such laws to be quickly and forcibly enforced.

I would not advocate that but I will be very cautious to emerge among people , even when the law alows me to.

I view that as common sense.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

Sweden seems to have survived very well without having to impose house-arrest on its population.

Swedes have largely been trusted to take personal accountability for their own & others' health & welfare by using common sense. Treated like adults.

He also says, "'The is the worst interference with personal liberty in our history. For what is by historical standards not a very serious pandemic except for particular categories of vulnerable people who can isolate themselves voluntarily."

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

LOL - "social distancing" on London Transport! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52645366

I wonder why the virus is still affecting/killing so many people in the London area? https://www.london.gov.uk/coronavirus/coronavirus-numbers-london

• BlackPuddingEater
    BlackPuddingEater

I listened to what Lord Sumption had to say and think that the interviewer had a better grasp of the situation. The former chief justice may of met a more inspirational sample than I have but I remember in late March when people were still going to beaches and to Snowdonia. Then the night before the shutdown when people still went out to the pubs? Even the man who did all the maths chose a bit of slap and tickle over personal responsibility.

Sweden has 24 people per km^2 and the UK has 259 per km^2.

Sweden has 2763 covidvirus cases per million and the UK has 3336.

There is also anecdotal evidence that the Swedish have a better base hygiene level.

This is the first pandemic we have had that we can properly monitor. Afterwards we will have a better understanding of which strategy it is best to apply to what situation. Saying that a government is unprepared for this unforseen disaster opens up the question how much time and money should of been spent preparing and what other unforseen disasters should get the same treatment?

It's nice to hear the establishment promoting self governance though, maybe we can apply our common sence to how much tax we pay?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Personal liberty at the cost of causing the death of unexpected innocent ones..

ummm ????

England has suffered the worse death rate in Europe because it didn't lock down soon enough.

There were certain elements to this pandemic which were unknown, so decisions had to by implemented by government officials from what they did know.

Yes there was an engagement of fear and panic mixed in with a bit of ignorance to be sure.

Yes this did take a hit onto personal liberties perhaps but governments are in place to react to situations like this for the betterment of the population to which they govern over.

I dont think this Judge really knows how viruses like this spreads about in a general populated social environment.

ie. Merely talking to someone within close proximity (2 Feet) can transfer the virus to between two people.

Yes these lock up restriction have been harsh and difficult but the consequences of not having them my have resulted into matters a lot worse, there is nothing worse than death in the human experience.

• Simon
    Simon
    Personal liberty at the cost of causing the death of unexpected innocent ones.

That isn't the choice. The real choice is deaths + cost of lockdown vs deaths + cost of not doing it.

At some point more people will die because of continued lockdowns. Unless and until anyone includes those in the models and the estimates and tells you when the crossover point is, they are a lying twat and have no business being in front of a microphone.

We flattened the curve government, now fuck off out of the way so we can live our lives.

The only people who can and should decide on whether to open up or not are local towns and cities. Governments job was to manage the big ticket items - whether people from pandemic regions should be allowed into the country. They failed at that and now they are failing at the next 6inch hurdle there is to step over.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its easy to criticize people (governments officials) for their decisions and enforced laws until the responsibility rests on your own shoulders.

To make a situational analogy, lets say the governments said well folks go about your own daily routines as in work, social actives, schooling, business, pleasure etc. as you will but it would be advisable to wear a face mask, rubber gloves (PPE) etc.

What would happen to the number of cases occurring and the number of deaths in comparison to how the governments have actually enacted ?

All businesses had the option to remain open with no restrictions, such as restaurants bars, pubs, no restrictions on air travel, border crossings etc.

People's liberties were left intact and unbounded by enforced restrictions.

Can you imagine what would have resulted from taking that positional stand ?

Quite frankly I've hated these restrictions as much as anyone else and I'm glad they are going to be lifted soon.

I do agree with this judge's statement that these restrictions have stepped on people liberties a bit but it was done so for the protection and well being for the greater population as a whole. Now lets lift them and get working on that vaccination.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

Since governments' logic was to quarantine all healthy people in order to suppress the virus, I suggest they don't just put criminals into prisons in future, jail everyone in society - that'll suppress crime.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Thats a poor analogy that doesn't relate to this unique situation does it ?

Lets say you went to a bar one day for a pint and the server wasn't feeling the best, you didn't know that yourself, the server had the beginning symptoms of the virus and the person coughed a bit onto the glass that they poured your beer into and you drank from that glass resulting you yourself catching the virus, maybe even die.

This wouldn't be a fictional scenario but one based upon factual evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit