For those who like classical music.

by azaria 12 Replies latest jw friends

• azaria
    azaria

Yesterday I heard a melody that I had heard before but I never knew who it was written by. Found out it was written by Bedrich Smetana ( from the 6 symphonic poems Ma Vlast) called Maldau. It’s such a pretty melody. Does anyone else have music they love that they want to share? I’ll list some of my favourites: Dvorak Symphony #9 (Going Home), Schubert Symphony #9, might as well include Beethovens #9 (strange that that they’re all #9), Brahms Alto Rhapsody just to name a few.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I will check out your recommendations that i haven't heard yet. I like some of mozart's string quartets and ode to joy (which is part of another song, i think). Also some bach fugues and tocattas - very majestic/uplifting.

SS

• Gopher
    Gopher

There are so many.

But my favorite (as of now) is Piano Concerto in A Minor by Edvard Grieg. This 3-movement symphonic piece alternates between exciting and hauntingly beautiful. It is a work of pure genius.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hey AZARIA --

They're having a live symphony concert (St. Paul Chamber Orchestra) on Public TV here in the Twin Cities tonight.

And you know what is being featured -- the eighth AND ninth Beethoven symphonies. What a treat!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

I just noticed that ode to joy is part of the 9th symphony, duh me. I'm listening to die moldau, very nice.

SS

• Navigator
    Navigator

I have a CD with both Dvorak's New World Symphony(#9) and Smetana's Moldau. It is one of my favorites. My all time favorite, however, is Chopin's Fantasy Impomptu (A section of that became I'm always chasing rainbows).

• COMF
    COMF

Azaria, I also am a classical music lover; it's one of many musical loves, genres. Moldau is a favorite of mine, too. I love classical, and I love blues, and I love rock, and I love metal; other genres as well--the universal criterion being that it must be written and played with skill and spirit.

I have a present for you. I'll bet you haven't heard The Moldau done like this. Tell me what you think. This is an mp3, a little over 4 meg in size.

The Moldau

Gopher, I'm a Grieg fan, too. I talked the other two members of our band into doing a rock version of Hall of the Mountain King (as rendered by Wolf Hoffman, the same guy who's doing The Moldau, above). And sometimes I have gotten up in the morning and put on Morning Mood, by Grieg, to start my day off right.

Here's a link you might enjoy. Exposition on Moldau (which is a river that runs by Prague).

http://www.mssr.com/info/Moldau.htm

(Edited to correctthe file size and add the information link)

• wasasister
    wasasister

Although I like a variety of music, Classical is still my first and best love.

Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings is the most hauntingly sad piece.

Beethoven's 7th Symphony (esp the second movement) and his Apassionata piano concerto

Mozart's #35 Symphony (Haffner) and most of his Piano Concerti

Bach - all of it, but especially the Goldberg Variations and the Brandenbergs

Vivaldi's Violin Concerto A 2 Choeurs "Con Violino Discordato" This piece is unique

The three great Violin Concerti in D: Brahms, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky

The great thing about the Classical genre is there is so much to choose from. Hundreds of years, not just decades. I can listen to three of four days of it and never hear the same thing twice. Where else is there such a great body of work to choose from??

Wasa/fellow fan of fantasic fantasias

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I love anything by Beethoven, but I find his music to so intense that I can only handle it every once in a while. Then I have to put on some AC/DC to recover!

• azaria
    azaria

Hi DanTheMan: get will get back to this topic tomorrow. I just popped back in for a minute and seeing that you are still here I suggest Beethovens Piano Concerto # 5 second movement. It is such a sweet, gentle melody. I understand about the intensity of his music. I have loved Beethoven since I was a teenager. For me the 9th is the struggle between good and evil, and he triumphs over it. Tchaikovsky's Pathetique- he wallows in his misery and doesn't seem to be able to get out of it. (but that's my feeling) With Beethoven I feel hope. Anguish at times but hope. There is so much joy "Ode to Joy" in it and the togetherness of the singing, I get goose bumps. Goodnight!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit