Does anybody know what this is

by toddy 22 Replies latest jw friends

• toddy
    toddy

It just flew in my bedroom and scared the life out of me

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

that's one of the most interesting beetles I've seen. Look at the feathering on the antennae. Almost like something you'd see on a more aquatic insect. Very odd. I don't think we have the same bugs down here as you do across the pond.

• Francois
    Francois

Those two red Xs look exactly the same to me

ft

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

francois,

You obviously didn't do well at biology - the x to the left is female.

Just sing - "You've got a friend in cheeses".

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I can't believe I found this. Try this link

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/chafer.htm

It is called (Really I didn't make this up)

Cockchafer or 'Maybug' (Melolontha melolontha)

Chafers are beetles (order Coleoptera), and belong to the same family as the scarab or dung beetles (Scarabaeidae). The most familiar of our chafers is the Cockchafer or 'Maybug' (Melolontha melolontha) - the adult beetle (shown above) is a night-flier and often comes crashing into lighted windows on warm evenings in early summer. Its large size (25-35 mm long) and buzzing flight make it a little frightening, but the beetle is quite harmless and will not bite or sting.

• toddy
    toddy

Thanks Lady lee thats the one

Never seen one over here before

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

well toddy I for sure have never seen one here in Canada and hope I never do.

Seems they are an English beetle and not the singing kind which were much more welcome here as visitors than one of those would be

Mind you we have one known as the June Beetle - probably very similar to the large one at the bottom right of the page that I posted

• Xandria
    Xandria

Xandria runs screaming from this thread.. I Hate bugs, I hate bugs!

X.

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

What??!!! Not one comment on the name "cockchafer"?! Where has all the immaturity gone in this forum?!!

Oh, here it is: What do you suppose happened to Adam just prior to naming this creature?

• Brummie
    Brummie

I had the office door open at work because it was warm and one of these things came crashing in, this happened Friday evening at about 12am, I jumped outta my skin! I had never seen one before, it was like the number 2 picture in Ladylees url above but it was brighter yellow. It couldnt climb up the painted wall so I got a spongy thing and flung it clean out!

Didnt fancy pulling the legs off.

Brummie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit