Are YOU Shunned By JW Family or Friends?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Some who are not disfellowshipped are still shunned I also know there’ are disfellowshipped ones that family still associate with.

• Simon
    Simon

It seems to vary based on congregation and the individuals involved.

A good question would be: "who has been disfellowshipped for associating with some other disfellowshipped person?"

i.e. they make make the rule and encourage people to follow it, but how mandated really is it vs being something people do voluntarily?

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I am shunned but am not disfellowshiped but a friend who is disfellowshiped and from the same congregation is not shunned.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"I think we are being "soft shunned." We are not DF'd or DA'd and no one in the congregation knows why we left a few years ago. Limited conversations with family. Small talk.

We have bumped into a few of our old KH "friends." So far they have been cordial and friendly. I think the thing that perplexes them, we really are happy and we show it. We do this even at home. We have a lot to be grateful for and we figure if people WANT to be in our life, they are more than welcome. If not, good riddance, their loss. We are the same happy, generous and kind people we were when still in the cult. We just don't believe what we used to.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I'm not dfed but i'm shunned by everyone who knew me until I was 30, including my family.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

No one knows I'm on here. No one knows of me ever associating with disfellowshipped ones. I have been shunned by my family for decades for crossing the one in charge. I have never been in a jc. In divorced families it is called alienation, but my parents weren't divorced. It was slow starting and secret from me. Secret family meeting anyone? What happened to me scared the rest into line. Another family member that is known as an apostate is treated better, but is also told to keep secrets from me. They don't promise to keep info from me, hence are not told. Insane making.

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

@ToesUp "soft shunned" -that's a great term!

I'm soft shunned by most of my family. All of the friends (with exception of one) who I grew up with and knew for decades basically fell of the face of the earth once I became inactive. Honestly, we'd probably have so little in common now that I don't consider it a big loss. I think many times the only thing we had in common was the religion.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's these stories and so many other like them that make me smile when I see WT in legal problems around the globe. For decades they have felt as though they were "above the law" and have gone about doing things with impunity. Now they are getting their ass kicked in Russia, Australia, Finland, and the court system in the USA.

Sit up and pay attention assholes -- you've made so many enemies that the tables have turned. The bad press releases are like the opening of flood gates. And even when you get "good press" the mentally diseased apostates flood the media with "the rest of the story" about your treatment of pedophile victims, DF family members, etc.

While most enlightened people are becoming more tolerant and accepting, WT closes the vise on the heads of everyone under their control, forcing them to be less tolerant and more exclusive regarding their family and friends that have bailed out on all the WT Bullshit. But the internet has made it easy to publicize their underhanded and cruel attempts of manipulation of members.

Honestly, I'd love to know how many EX-JDubs there are compared to JDubs. I think there are so many outspoken vocal EX-JW activists who are not afraid to speak out and WT is drowning in the resulting bad publicity. Political leaders are sitting up and taking notice and WT is facing serious consequences in many places. Plus, I'm sure the greedy lawyers will keep testing to see just how deep the pockets are at WT HQ.

Sorry. Just had to vent.

• minimus
    minimus

The Jehovah’s Witness religion is a very conditional religion. However depending upon the leanings of certain people, you could very well be shunned or create The Jehovah’s Witness religion is a very conditional religion. However depending upon the leanings of certain people, you could very well be shunned or treated not too shabbily . It’s a crap shoot.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"Sit up and pay attention assholes -- you've made so many enemies that the tables have turned."

Love your post Doc. I couldn't have said it better myself!

For all of you who have sat on the other side of the table during a JC and were bullied into giving intimate details of your "sin." Now is the time to sit up and take notice of how WT is handling being "on the other side of the table." Maybe some of the abuse victims (child abuse, emotional abuse, physical abuse) will get some justice watching this cult have to answer for all the things THEY DID NOT DO. As the ole saying goes...."turnabout is fair play." It's comin for ya Watchtower. All you innocent victims...grab your popcorn and enjoy the show. I KNOW WE WILL!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit