Rednecks - The Guts Of The Country

by Redneck 13 Replies latest jw friends

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

My husband - the one with the ponytail - is always saying "the long hair don't hide the red neck"

Although technically he is actually a subset of redneck known as the "long-haired country boy"

I think too many people confuse rednecks with white or trailer trash. There's a big difference. Whitetrash is ig-nernt an' hateful. Rednecks ain't.

My grandpa was a redneck. So is my uncle. Nothin' wrong with bein' a redneck.

If someone mentions "the sport of kings" and you immediately think of Richard Petty...you might be a redneck.

• shamus
    shamus

A redneck, to me, is someone who is poor and ignorant. Thinks nothing of calling a black man a, well, you know. A redneck is always proud of being a redneck. Never sad or worried about it....

• teejay
    teejay

Yeah, what shamus said. When I was coming up, a person didn't really want to be known as a redneck. It was definitely an insult, one used even by white folk toward those of their own kind who they felt were far beneath them in class, social status, mental aptitude. How things can change.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Funny thing, you may have hit the nail on the head. During the Civil War the Confederate army was, for the most part, made up with people of Scotch/Irish descent. Get these guys convinced the cause they were fighting for was worth dying for and you can't find better soldiers, anywhere. I'll give you two examples, Sgt. Alvin York in WWl and Audie Murphey in WWll.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit