JW history (big green book)

by lovinglife 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lovinglife
    lovinglife

I have been coming here for many months now; absorbing all the wonderful info given and reading Ray Franz's books, but I have never posted before. Can anyone tell me the specific name and about a book that came out a few years ago, I guess at a convention about the JW's history? I think it starts out as "Jehovah's Witnesses and something, something" Its a big green book...thats all the info I have on it. I have been helping my sister (baptized but inactive) break free of the "borg". Our mother though is a "devoted JW" and pulled this book out yesterday for info on questions my sister was posing to her. Thanks...this forum has been so helpful with answering questions I've had for many years; it means alot to know that I'm not the only one out there.

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

I believe the book you're referring to is called "Jehovah's Witnesses-Proclaimer's of God's Kingdom". Referred to as the Proclaimer's book by JWs.

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

That book is supposed to be an accurate account of the history of JWs. But some of their history was not included, you know, the stuff they don't want their followers to know about.

BTW, May I be the first to say - Welcome to the forum! And best wishes to you in helping your family out of the org.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Welcome to the forum, lovinglife.

Although the WItnesses say that this book is their history, it is not. A more accurate translation of facts comes from James Penton in his book 'Apocolypse delayed'. They conviently discard of any embarrassing moments in their history.

Glad to welcome you aboad.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hello lovinglife:

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to some notes on the Proclaimers book, written by the always delightfully lemony Alan F.

http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/jv.htm

Expatbrit

• Matty
    Matty

Hi lovinglife! The older Jehovah's Witness history book was also big and green. It was called "Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose" and was released in the late 50's.

• onacruse
    onacruse

lovinglife, welcome to the forum!

The Proclaimers book is on the WTS CD too, in case you can (or want to) get your hands on one. The older Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose was also, as I recall, green, but not nearly as thick as Proclaimers. Proclaimers is a marginal improvement. As the others here say, both of these histories are rife with "errors of ommision."

it means alot to know that I'm not the only one out there.

Yes, indeed. Answers a big part of that "Where will you go to?" emotional anchor the WTS threw around our neck.

Craig

PS: Matty, hehe...our posts crossed

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

http://www.food4jws.org/wt_history/

check out this link to a website for Bible Students who JWs claim to be the continuing lineage of. Apparently the Bible Students have other ideas about the JWs history too.

very interesting. not easily dismissed by 'don't listen to them they are apostates!'

Ravyn

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

"Jehovah's Witnesses: Proclaimers of God's Kingdom" was published in 1993. I've never seen a copy of it, so I don't know what color the cover was.

Earlier, in 1959, the WTS published "Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose," which was a dark green covered book, as Matty mentioned.

Before that, in 1955, a history of the WTS was included in the original edition of "Qualified To Be Ministers." The "Qualified..." book was revised in 1967 and the history was removed.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Read it here.

My bad!

Nic'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit