Shouldn't JWs ALSO go to prison if minor dies due to blood restriction?

by herk 25 Replies latest jw friends

• herk
    herk
    Wednesday » May 21 » 2003
    Three guilty in exorcism Man died in January, 2002: For six days, parents tied up son, prayed for him
    Francine Dubé
    National Post
    Friday, May 23, 2003

LONDON, Ont. - Tied for six days to chairs while his parents and members of their church prayed over him to exorcise the presence of Satan from his strapping 19-year-old frame, Walter Zepeda, a shy and quiet young man who had never been guilty of anything more than ordinary teenage rebellion, uttered the last words he would ever speak.

"Forgive me."

He fell asleep. Just after midnight, on Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2002, he died of dehydration. He had been without food and drank only a little water since his ordeal began. At times his mouth had been duct-taped so that neighbours would not hear his screams. His wrists and ankles were torn and bleeding from the restraints that had been used to secure him. He was wearing an adult diaper and jeans.

Yesterday, Mr. Zepeda's father, Diego Zepeda-Cordero, 45, and a family friend, Alex Osegueda, 43, were found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to four years in prison for their role in the exorcism. Walter's mother, Ana Mejia-Lopez, 53, was sentenced to one day deemed served, for failing to provide the necessities of life. All three had been charged with first-degree murder, but pleaded guilty to the lesser charges during the preliminary inquiry last week.

Complete story at http://www.nationalpost.com/home/story.html?id=C83324A3-4203-4366-9AD2-D9726DAF3C0E
  • Aztec
    Aztec

Yes, I think they should go to jail if they deny blood to a minor. However, religious freedoms being what they are I don't see it happening anytime soon. If anyone is curious, I did almost die because of the blood issue. My parents refused to let me have blood when I was a newborn and was severly jaundiced. I survived, obviously, but it is an issue I seriously take to heart. The story you posted is very disturbing. Fundamentalists are scary, Herk! ~Aztec

• obiwan
    obiwan

Any parent who knowingly let's their child die should suffer the same fate!

• freeman
    freeman

Yep, put them in jail. I don’t give a flying Fu&*@ what your religious beliefs are, you just don’t put people in harms way, especially innocent children.

Freeman

• freedom96
    freedom96

I think the hospital should be given orders by the government that in the event that a minor needs a blood transfusion to save their life, the hospital must give it to them.

If anyone, including the parents try to prevent this from happening, then they face possible jail time.

The problem is, that in too many cases, there is not time enough to go to court to demand that the hospital give the blood to the patient. It must be done right away.

• herk
  • happyout
    happyout

IMHO, this is a form of abuse, or neglect, and it should be the law that parents cannot deny their child life saving treatment for any reason.

Happyout (muttering under her breath "murdering, idiotic child killers!")

• Joker10
    Joker10

a blood trasfution does not a guarantee a patient's survival.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Joker, what's your point?

In some cases, many cases, indeed it is the blood transfusion that "guarantees" the persons' survival. In other cases, it may never be known, but it likely facilitates survival. In other words, blood transfusions are sometimes the only method to save a life. If you believe in God, then you know that God knows precisely the life giving properties blood has, and just how disgusted He would be with anyone who purposely withheld His gift of life from another human being, especially their own child. Now, Joker, what do you think God thinks about Jehovah's Witnesses?

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Herk,

When you were a JW did you ever support or agree with the blood policy? Obviously the answer is Yes.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit