Reviewer comments are in black or parentheses

YOUTHS WHO MAKE JEHOVAH’S HEART REJOICE

Proverbs 27:11

Proverbs 27 (CEV)

11 My child, show good sense!
    Then I will be happy
    and able to answer anyone
    who criticizes me.

These study articles were prepared especially for youths among Jehovah’s Witnesses. Therefore we encourage young ones to study this material carefully and to comment freely when it is considered at the congregation Watchtower study.

Shouldn’t young people have been doing this already? Why do they need to be encouraged to do so? I wonder how many WT conductors will prime the pump and prepare some pre-selected "youths" to answer?

The WT starts out with an illustration of how when a person shops they look carefully at the initially outwardly appealing item to make sure it is made out of quality material and manufactured skillfully. Then it compares this to what the "world" offers.

For instance, your schoolmates may go to exciting parties, take drugs, drink, date casually, and engage in premarital sex?

Or they "may" not do any of these things. The majority of teenagers don’t participate in these things. All these things are also presented to adults as choices. Left out are the evils of wanting to go to college, or get a full-time job, or volunteering to help others, participating in group sports, working on the school newspaper, etc.

PROTECTION FROM "THE WICKED ONE"

Yes, "young ones" you are Satan’s special target.

Consider the horrific calamities that Satan brought upon Job and his family.

Not the least was the death of all his children, the loss of all his property, the disdain of all his so-called "friends." All this allowed by God. I was wondering when I read this if a parent stood by and let their child be molested, they would be considered the lowest form of life on earth. Yet, God stood by and let Satan kill all of Job’s children, protecting only Job and his wife from death.

Yes, everything bad is caused by Satan.

It was likely Satan who motivated Herod—all in an effort to destroy the child who would one day become God’s promised Messiah.

"Likely"

means the Bible doesn’t say, but the WTS is rewriting the scriptures.

And the end is near because

"Satan has been cast out of heaven down to earth…knowing he has a short period of time."

Notice that there is no scriptural proof given to support this statement, a key part of the 1914 prophecy.

What a difference between the god of this system of things and the God you are privileged to worship! While Satan seeks to devour, Jehovah "does not desire any to be destroyed."

Yet, the average JW will have to finally admit that only baptized Jehovah’s Witnesses will survive the final destruction, the great tribulation; with only 6 million JWs and 6 billion people, the level of the nearing destruction will be great and will they have a fair chance to hear the message, taking just India and China as examples?

And here the WTS puts in the real focus, not the universal sovereignty of God but:

His desire is that you attain to "the real life" everlasting life on a paradise earth.

"MAKE MY HEART REJOICE"

He (Satan) asserts that any who serve God do so not out of love, but for selfish reasons.

So what does the WTS hold out, everlasting life on a paradise earth in almost every study article. Sounds like a selfish reason to me.

Now the article finally brings out the universal sovereignty angle:

"The Universal Sovereign is calling upon you to share in addressing the greatest issue of all time."

Yes, being loyal to God is the real issue but since the WTS sees itself as the only true spokesperson for God on earth, young people must be loyal to the WTS.

JEHOVAH CARES FOR YOU

(But not the elders)

Jehovah…cares about you as an individual.

If you were or are a young person going to the KH, who paid individual attention to you in the congregation? Did the elders greet you on a regular basis? Did they know your name or if you made a comment were they stumbling around trying to remember it? Did they make arrangements to spend time training you in the ministry, did they invite you to their homes, did they praise the young ones from the platform, were they there when you or your family needed help?

Again what motivates?

He can now become your Rewarder.

Yes, not love but the "reward" should motivate us.

RICH BLESSINGS NOW

Yes, by "conforming to Bible principles" young ones are protected from the pains of having a "love of money."

Some young men and women are heavily in debt simply because they must have the latest brand-name clothes and cutting-edge technological gadgets. Being saddled with long-term, high-interest payments for things you cannot really afford is a painful form of slavery!

Wow, yes with such debt they cannot hope to go to Bethel or regular pioneer or have something to donate to the WTS.

Notice how the WTS manipulates in regard to sexual immorality.

First,

The greatest consequence of all would be a damaged relationship with Jehovah.

But,

It is comforting to know that when a person repents, stops doing wrong, and confesses his sins, Jehovah "will forgive in a large way."

But you cannot get God’s forgiveness without confessing to the elders, having them determine if you are really repentant, and getting their "spiritual help."

SERVING "THE HAPPY GOD"

Fifteen-year-old Lina lists the benefits she gets in serving God. Note which one is missing.

I can hold my head high.

I have a healthy body because of abstaining from smoking and drugs.

I have valuable guidance given me through the congregation…combat Satan’s awful pressure.

My face has a happy glow because of the upbuilding association made available at the Kingdom Hall.

Best of all, I (can make Jehovah’s heart glad by upholding his sovereignty?) I have unbeatable prospect of eternal life on earth.

Yes, once again everlasting life on a paradise earth is the issue not God’s sovereignty.

Conclusion

I’m sure there is little new in this article that hasn’t been propounded from the platform before. The fact that this and the next article are directed to teenagers shows that the WTS knows they are losing the battle. If this is their ammunition, they can be prepared to see more leave. The hypocrisy of the adults including parents is stronger than any words in this article. Actions speak louder than words.

Picture page 15

First shot shows a young sister being asked to a party by a non-JW. Note the couple in the background.

Second shot shows all 4 at a party, the first young man is shown smoking, the young sister is drinking beer, and the other couple are talking. Amazingly the 3 non-JWs all have the same clothes on and the same hairdos. The young sister is shown in a more trendy braided do and she has a clingier top. Did she go home and change or did she come prepared to make a transformation?

Picture page 16

3 young brothers and 4 young sisters in a living room setting with snacks on the coffee table. The guys are all in informal clothing (no jeans though) and the sisters are in skirts?!

Blondie

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Blondie, I just want to say: I thoroughly enjoy your posts, and this one was simply outstanding.

I'm off to bed, but once again: Thanks

• rocketman
    rocketman
    and the sisters are in skirts?!

Yep, they're always in skirts. My wife had this as a big pet peeve, even when she was very active as a jw. She wondered why sisters were always pictured in skirts, even at picnics, etc.

Blondie, fine coverage once again. I think jws are losing the battle for their own young people. Many of them see right through the hypocrisy.

While some of the advice in such articles is good (like avoiding heavy debt and sexual promiscuity), much of it is just plain old common sense.

Side note: Tonight on ABC TV's 20/20, there is supposed to be a segment on parents to go to extreme measures (like spying) to keep their kids from doing drugs and having sex. It's obvious that it's not just jw parents who want to keep their kids from harmful things.

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, Ray. It reminds me why I don't miss the meetings.

Rocketman,

While some of the advice in such articles is good (like avoiding heavy debt

Unfortunately, when this was covered in the convention it was to tell young people that they should be setting their sights on Bethel service (for the boys) and regular pioneering (for the girls). The concern was not to advise them financially on how to spend their money wisely by saving and making investments for the future. After all, girls don't need to think about getting a job, their husband will support them (not). College and full-time jobs were strongly discouraged. I agree that credit should be used wisely. I wonder what kind of examples young people see in their parents and the elders?

Blondie

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Blondie,

Just finished reading your analysis...!!

I'm sorry to say...it is brilliant, factual, very well

exposed and with a nice choice of words and analogies.

I'm sure that many more will appreciated your excellent

work, in exposing ...the falsehood in the ' watchtower' article.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

Btw, I did also like very much the ...comments on the

pictures. Great!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks for that summary Blondie. Hey you have only 4 more to go!! Hang in there, I know these articles induce nausea.

This article should have been titled "Youths who are heavily indoctrinated make the organization happy". Subtitle: "Keep reaching out for this reward we promise is near".

Grrrr.. the subtle and devious nature of the way they induce loyalty is maddening. And if you young JW's don't measure up to the standards of "15 year old Lina", you are weak spiritually! Weak weak weak! Her words remind me SO MUCH of convention experiences -- many of which were concocted or exaggerated (because I knew some of the young people up on stage weren't "all that", and this isn't just jealousy talking -- this is reality talking).

C'mon Lina, read some books, read the Internet. See that there are other happy young people who aren't on the WT Society's treadmill, going nowhere. If Lina someday sees that she's been given a "bill of goods" by this false-prophet WT Society, she will laugh at her own quoted comments here.

• blondie
    blondie

JC Mac, thanks for your comments. I find the pictures especially interesting. I can remember a picture in a WT publication that showed a sister on a ladder picking apples in a "dress"! I asked the conductor about that one. He just mumbled that was what the slave wanted. I love the ones with the large expanses of mowed grass wondering who they got to mow it. It is major production to round up enough brothers to mow the grass in most congregations. I guess the privilege is right up there with cleaning toilets. I love the ones where they show the people sitting in the first 3 rows in the KH. I have been in over 20 congregations and never seen anyone sit there except at the Memorial.

Nice to hear from you. How's business?

Gopher,

Yes, I am winding down. Actually I have 3 left to go. My last one should be just before I go to the BRCI convention. And then a few weeks later it will be Green Bay here we come.

Yes, little Lina's expressions are definitely coached. No 15-year-old talks like that. I remember been a teenager in the BORG and knowing that most of the "young ones" chosen were leading double lives. But their daddies or grandpappies were elders or MS while mine wasn't even a JW. I can remember one part about "toying with sexual immorality." They used a sister that I had stumbled upon at a party seriously "necking" with a young brother on her parents' backporch.

Look forward to seeing you in Green Bay.

Blondie

• Gopher
    Gopher

Blondie -- I can't make it to Green Bay, as fun as it would be. But feel free to stop and see us in Minnesota if it's on your way.

• blondie
    blondie

I'll talk to the hubby, Gopher. We definitely would like to meet you IRL. I'll PM you.

Blondie

• rocketman
    rocketman

Hi Blondie,

Yes, the WTS doesn't want youths pursuing a career or a full-time job, but would rather have them applying at Bethel and/or pioneering. Thus, the counsel against accumulating debt. Heck, I remember a few summers ago at a Convention a part in which we were "encouraged" to avoid buying soda at work (they "encouraged" taking water instead or packing your own cans of soda) because we could save money and hence concentrate on more "worthwhile" pursuits.

By the way, the segment I referred to did not air on 20/20. I was misled by my local listings!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit