Matthew 28-- the whole chapter.

by somebody 13 Replies latest jw friends

• somebody
    somebody

Good afternoon all,

I was read the 28th chapter of Matthew today. After Jesus' disciples saw he was resurrected, he told them that all power in heaven and in earth was given to him. He told them to teach this to all the nations and to baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and to observe what Jesus commanded them.

I'm sitting hear wondering what these scriptures have to do with what Jehovah's Witnesses preach when they go door to door. I've never heard them preach about his resurrection and that he was given ALL power in heaven and on earth when they go door to door. I was never told once to teach/preach the commision of the resurrection of Jesus spoken about in this chapter. Maybe that's why they call themselves "publishers" and not "disciples". Seems to me the teach what is "published" for them. I haven't read anywhere in the bible where it says " go therefore, and make publishers in all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and in association with god's spirit directed organization".

I always thought that the word "disciple" meant...follower of Jesus. I can't remember what scripture it is but Jesus also said that the disciples would be persecuted an account of his name. I'v never heard of a Jehovah's Witness being persecuted on account of Jesus' name either. Has anyone here heard or seen it happen? Any thoughts?

Alrighty...I'm done for now,
    somebody

~~~~~~If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.~~~~

• Dubby
    Dubby

Good points, Somebody. Most JW's, according to their doctrine, aren't benefited by calling on Jesus. Jesus is the mediator only for the "anointed". The "publishers" are pretty much how you described them. Rag pushers for the WTBTS.

"Enjoy God's creation, ride a dirt bike!"

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Somebody: Hello and welcome to the forum. I read your post and I quite agree with what you say about the Scriptures not authorizing the baptizing of people in the name of an organization. I am also amused at how JW's consider themselves 'publishers' instead of 'disciples' as you noted.
    However, I have to disagree with you on a couple of points. JW's do teach the resurrection of Jesus and that his position next to Jehovah is one of great power over all creation. That might not be the opening statement in the door to door work but it certainly is one of their teachings.
    As for the persecution, they have indeed undergone quite a bit of persecution. Inasmuch as they consider themselves Christians, it's not hard to see how they consider this persecution to be for the sake of Jesus' name.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• somebody
    somebody

Hi Frenchy, and thank you for the welcome. :-)

:However, I have to disagree with you on a couple of points. JW's do teach the resurrection of Jesus and that his position next to Jehovah is one of great power over all creation. That might not be the opening statement in the door to door work but it certainly is one of their teachings.
    Matthew 28, verse 18....Jesus said he was given ALL power over heaven and earth. It doesn't say "great" power, so I guess we aren't going to agree on that. Right after Jesus told his disciples that all power was given to him, he said (verse19)...go, therefore, and teach the nations , baptizing them in ....etc. So that is what he was telling his disciples to teach, in my opinion. He told them to teach that he has been given all power and to obey his commands. One can't ever get to the Father without going through him fisrt.

:As for the persecution, they have indeed undergone quite a bit of persecution. Inasmuch as they consider themselves Christians, it's not hard to see how they consider this persecution to be for the sake of Jesus' name.

Perhaps you are right on that. I just said that I, personally, have never seen them persecuted on account of Jesus' name. When I was in high school, (I'm speaking of only one type of persecution now) nobody bothered the Jehovah's Witnesses. People always bothered the students that said " Jesus saves." or " Praise the Lord, Jesus Christ."

Till next time,
    somebody

~~~~~If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. She's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink~~~~~~~

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Somebody: I'm interested in how you view the phrase "all power"(a number of translations use the term 'all authority').

• somebody
    somebody

:Somebody: I'm interested in how you view the phrase "all power"(a number of translations use the term 'all authority').

I view it as meaning that Jesus in the ONLY source of authority. Jesus' commands are the ONLY commands we should heed ,and other NO OTHER name can anyone have any hope or be at peace with what happens when one passes onto death. (which is called, salvation) Jesus said he had been given ALL power. I don't think anyone has the right to take that power/authority away and give it to themselves. Otherwise, the Bible would state that they could, or that Jesus gave it away.

What is your view?

That's my view,
    somebody
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.~~~~~

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Somebody: What about God?

• somebody
    somebody

:What about God?

God is the one who gave all power/ authority to his son. We can't pray to God without going thru the only one who has all power and authority. That's what the Bible states, does it not?

somebody

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Somebody:

I view it as meaning that Jesus in the ONLY source of authority

It seemed to me that you were excluding God. When speaking of Jesus' authority you made no mention of God's supreme authority.

• Dubby
    Dubby

Somebody,

Is God and Jesus one in the same? Or, as the WTS teaches, are God and Jesus two separate and distinct individuals?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit