Is It Still A Man's World?

by Guest 77 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

What, no anointed sisters on the GB?

Ok, I just used that question to get the ladies responses.

This week's news coverage had to do with a Annika Sorensen, a professional female golfer competing in a MEN'S golf tournament. According to the no spin zone O'Reilly show, the majority of the people gave a thumbs down for a woman to compete in a man's tournament.

You need to bear in mind that Annika was 'invited' to play in this tournment by the sponsors. Thus far, 180,000 tickets have been sold not to mention the international news coverage.

People seem to forget that in the corporate world, women play a big role, so why all the fuss?

Supposedly the word GOLF stands for, 'Gentlemen's Only, Ladies Forbidden".

Now, back to my original question, why are there no anointed sisters on the GB? Is it a man's PRIVATE CLUB in the 'corporate' world of the WTBTS?

Thoughts please.

Guest 77

• breal
    breal

It is not only the GB..m any things in the org seem sexist or chauvinistic … Elders, MS, people who handle mics… all males. Sisters are not able to address the congregation directly by giving talks solo… they can simply talk with another sister. U nless of course one is from an area/country where there are not enough brothers – then anything goes (ie missionaries in remote places).

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Hi breal, so where does this mentality stem from?

My mistake in spelling Annika's last name, it's Sorenstam.

Guest 77

• breal
    breal

Hi Guest 77 - perhaps I should have started my post with "from my perception" or "in the hall I attended" many moons ago before being DF'd - maybe it is not like this in all the halls? I vaguely recall that there was perhaps some scriptural understanding as to why things were like this, along with why sisters had to wear head coverings at some point (not sure if they still do) if they were to conduct a gathering like the prayer at the "service" coordination.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Actually, it is an ANTS world, by weight they have us beat on planet earth. Maverick

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

Maybe it's a GAY thing, not that there is anything wrong with that.

(sorry couldn't resist)

And the answer is yes, women are still garbage in the eyes of the hall, oh they are allowed to go in field service and have small parts in the theocratic school, but that's about it.

My brother called me a few days ago, (first time I have talked to him in 5 years)(my uncle had just died), he mentioned that his son now 21 was working on becoming a MS, I said that's fair our own sister has been a special pioneer for over 25 years, and because she doesn't have a penis, she can't have a position. I think this is the first time I left him speechless.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    People seem to forget that in the corporate world, women play a big role, so why all the fuss?

You are correct, women do play a big role in the corporate world. Men also play a big role in the corporate world, so shouldn't they be allowed to play on the LPGA tour ????? Let's be fair here. Bug

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In the congs, women may

1] Do Field Service, inc. pioneering

2] Answer up at meetings

3] Give Student talks in the format already described

4] Join in Quickbuild construction teams, in non overseer roles

They may not:

1] Address the audience directly

2} take any kind of oversight

3] Read paragraphs aloud , or pray for the cong. aloud

If any one is really interested , this stems from 1 Cor. 14 .34

"Let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak, but let them be in subjection even as the Law says"

However, a fresh reading of this chapter seems to me to be talking specfically about "Speaking in tongues", which is not practiced today.

Go figure????

• dubla
    dubla

You are correct, women do play a big role in the corporate world. Men also play a big role in the corporate world, so shouldn't they be allowed to play on the LPGA tour ????? Let's be fair here. Bug

and why theyre at it....why not just mix every sport? i want to see women on the cowboys offensive line, and men being allowed to play womens volleyball....women banging around on the nba court, and men of course being allowed to play in the wnba......in fact, why do we even seperate womens and mens olympic events? why not just throw everyone into one big competition in each event and see who comes out on top? wouldnt that be the best way to do it without discriminating?

aa

• breal
    breal

The corp I work for seems to have a good mix of males to females IMHO.

As far as sports go being a smaller female I don't think that I am built correctly as some of the guys to play on the same teams. My husbands hockey division had a female player once and I did not find it fair to the guys at all as they were all raised right and could not bring themselves to check her or be very physical on the ice around her - not a good game to watch. I personally enjoying watching my men play hockey, football etc... more power to the women that are into it though.

Then it gets to the whole debate about careers like firefighters, police etc and all I can is that I am glad they try to open up the playing field there a bit - but if my house were burning down my 5'4" self could not carry my 6'2" husband out...however that is not so say some other female couldn't. In that case I believe it is to each there own and again more power to 'em!

I think the original post was more about the GB and the witnesses and the lack of logical reasoning behind the great divide between men & women.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit