Who holds the Burden Of Proof?

by stuckinarut2 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

When we as former witnesses wake up and choose to leave the society, it is mainly because we value TRUTH and HONESTY.

The society tries to make out that WE are in the wrong. That WE have "left the truth".

But, who really holds the burden of proof?

Do WE (who leave) need to prove that the Society is not the "truth", or does the Society need to prove that it IS the "truth".

Thoughts?

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799
    I think the burden of proof should always be on the one making the claim of truth. It is not up to us to falsify it. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence is the Atheist motto, right?
    I was thinking of another issue along the same lines - how we always get accused of "leaving Jehovah." Yet is that accurate? Is it not in fact God who is absent? God who is silent? Though I used to convince myself otherwise by a process of confirmation bias, the fact is that God has never done anything for me or answered me when I prayed to Him... it was all a one sided affair. So how can you have left a person who was never even there for you in the first place?
  • venus
    venus

They will not accept the proof. For example, try giving one example of a bible verse which every knows as "not being inspired"! They would not accept it.

Hence no point in proving them wrong.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I found that it goes one step further than that even. I was challenged by a JW who found out about my doubts. Not only should prove to him that JWs don't have the truth. But I was challenged to answer the question: if JWs don't have the truth, then who does? The implication seemed to be that, unless I could supply a completely convincing alternative total system of truth, then JWs remain "the truth" by default.

I think there are lots of good things about JWs and I am optimistic about reform. I also think that truth is relative to the perspective you are viewing it from.

• Chook
    Chook

It's doesn't matter who say what, it's a matter of how much life it robbed and how many years remaining on this planet. We know the JW truth so I could just be grateful I'm out , free of religious bondage.

• venus
    venus

WT world is the representation of the world outside. For example Einstein found out that: “Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness.” Though Einstein’s insights revolutionized physicists’ view of space/time “reality”, we haven’t yet changed our way of thinking about such “reality”. Until now, most of Humanity has mistakenly kept behaving as if we are separated from each other and from Nature, and not part of it. This behavior has resulted in continuing selfishness, cruelty, wars and unsustainable and disharmonious exploitation of our precious planet. JWs feel they were specially blessed by God while others are pagans. They appeal to the individual’s sense of importance. They preach that you are special and your life has a grand purpose while the world is in darkness ….

• jp1692
    jp1692

The only person we are obliged to prove anything to is ourself.

That being said, when it comes to discussions such at this I've always been fond of invoking the aphorism popularized by Carl Sagan: “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

• smiddy
    smiddy

Well said doubtfull1799

So how can you have left a person who was never even there for you in the first place?

Of course what they are really saying is how can you leave a religious organization that speaks for a mute God.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As I have posted on several Threads, I have made it my job in recent years to challenge JW's I meet to prove to me that what they teach now is the "truth".

Most of these have been Elders, not ONE has attempted to do so.

The JW's do not care about Truth or Reality, they simply wish to remain undisturbed in their little world of imaginary gods and an imaginary paradise to come.

I am content to let them rot there if they will not examine their own beliefs, but this Thread has made me determined in future conversations to use words that show them I know my beliefs are way superior to theirs. Thank you Stuck.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

But, who really holds the burden of proof?

Interesting question. My stance when I left was that I chose to leave, that I have no interest in them, that they are full of --it, and that they have no authority over me. I am not a person who likes to give a lot of explaining, and I couldn't care less about being right or wrong. In fact, I was not interested in discussing anything with them, period, leave alone proving anything from either side.

I left, I chose to send them to the carajo and there's nothing they can do about it. That was that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit