Back to the Basics

by Mystery 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Mystery
    Mystery

Aztec – my boys are 14 & 15. We have gone to many churches. I wanted to expose them to the different cultures. My family (parents – most of mom’s side; sister and sister-in-law) are all JW’s.

My x is Baptist. So they are exposed to that as well. The boys grew up knowing what they could and couldn’t talk about around my family. They watched me put things away in our house when they came to visit. (Boy Scout metals, etc…) I like you, take action when I see they are doing something they shouldn’t be. I guess it just really irks me when my 15 year old says “you don’t know what you believe; so why should we even go? (to church)”. Especially when he is right!!

James Thomas – I will pick up the book and read it. I have to finish CofC first. I agree with you in that ………..looking for truth in a book, where there is none…… is correct. I don’t think any book will be able to give me that; it is only idea’s and biased knowledge on the part of the author.

I would not believe anyone that told me (again that is) this is THE TRUTH it is all here. I believe in the here and now as well. I do my best not to live my life for what may or may not happen in the future; at least the times I feel like I am beginning to I stop and go back an reflect on the reason that I am doing something, the cause it will have to myself and others, and if it is actually important.

Spending time with my children is very important; it is getting harder and harder to do due to their age. (mom’s just aren’t cool anymore) I guess that is why I feel so desperate now. I don’t know if I have taught them enough about having peace with yourself and your beliefs. Peace with God or another presence or just with yourself. I guess it is just “wanting the best” like every other mother and father does for their children. Not wanting them to grow up as I did fearing everyday that Armageddon would come and I wouldn’t be good enough.

outoftheorg - Thank you. I was a single mom, but my husband came into the boy’s lives when they were 3 & 4 yr. Their step dad. They have more love toward him now than their biological father. He is laid back, soft spoken and isn’t inclined to anger easily, doesn’t get riled up about things, pretty much has a line as far as discipline goes, this is allowed this isn’t and sticks with it. Me, on the other hand, is the complete opposite of him. I guess that is why we go together so well.

He says a lot of the same things you said, actually most of the same things you said. So I guess I need to listen to him a little more huh? I am guilty of feeling that I have failed when they do the “disappointing things”. I know I have done my best. I know my husband has done his best. And we are both good people. I have to let them grow up. Thank you.

Ravyn - ....If you laid a good foundation with your children when they were young children, whether it was JWs or not, that is what will come back to them when the hormones and thrill of adulthood wears off and they need to talk to Higher Being..... I guess it is this hormone thing that has me really going thru a lot of this right now.... them going thru it & as my husband ask me yesterday "are you going thru the "change of life thing...."

Introspection - I am glad parents don't have to have all the answers; because I would have definitly would have failed. ......If you have love for your children, even if they disagree with you at times..... (i don't know how to do the quote thing) this made me laugh ---- IF they Disagree with you --- only about 90% of the time. But everynight I still "tuck them in", give them a kiss and hug and tell them i love them not matter how mad I am at them.

Thank you everyone for all of your concern and advice. I guess we all have 'those days when everything seems like it is falling apart'.

Thank you again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit