Can a Re-Instated Person Ever Become An Elder?

by Englishman 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

When I was but a wee lad, re-instated persons were regarded with great suspicion pretty well for ever after. I recall a lady I knew becoming engaged to someone who had been re-instated, my parents actually commiserated with her parents over this sad state of affairs.

Back then, re-instated persons were barred from almost everything. Just student talks were allowed, but no praying and no ministerial privileges whatsoever.

Then in the early 70's, the WT stated that it might be possible for re-instated persons to be given a ministerial position after a proving period of at least 10 years impeccable behaviour. I'm not aware if there has been any change to this position.

But think about this, dear Brothers and Sisters; How kind of our brothers at the bethel to make this wonderful privilege of service open to such undeserving one's after only a 10 year proving period!

Englishman.

• Matty
    Matty

I know of a former Circuit Overseer that was Disfellowshipped and then reinstated and became a Ministerial Servant and Elder all within a five year period.

It depends on your connections.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

We had an brother who committed adultery with a sister in the congregation. Both got divorced. Both were DFed. Both got reinstated shortly after they married. And within a couple of years he was an elder.

He was a miserable sod who beat his kids and strutted around the hall like his s**t didn't stink. No one liked him or respected him. And everyone knew his past.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Yes...............I know one who became a CO, after about 20 years though. It depends on the circumstances, who you are and who you know.

• blondie
    blondie

There used to be a ten-year rule but I don't think it is followed as much as in the past:

km 8/75 p. 6 To All Bodies of Elders ***

With regard to one who has been reinstated and who is being considered for further privileges, it is clear that he should have ‘lived down’ the reproach he brought on himself by his wrong act, doing this by building up a convincing record of righteousness that would serve to counterbalance the effect of the past wrong. This might involve only a few years, but possibly many years, to do, depending upon the notorious nature of the wrongdoing. In any case, such reinstated one should first be recommended as a ministerial servant.

km 12/70 p. 4 Question Box ***

If at one time a person had been disfellowshiped or disassociated, may he ever give a public talk? This might occur, but only after at least ten years from reinstatement. (For details see "The Watchtower," 8/15/65, p. 497; "Lamp," p. 121.)

w65 8/15 p. 497 Turning to Jehovah ***

If, because of the blameless conduct of one since his reinstatement, the congregation has come to view him as a good example, then if such a person, who was at one time disfellowshiped but has now returned and shown humility, proved his love for Jehovah’s Word and work for ten years after reinstatement, it would be in harmony with the parable of the prodigal son if such one were used as a congregation book study conductor and allowed to give public talks.

If, since his reinstatement, he has proved himself to be an example to the flock of God during ten years of faithful service, and if the congregation committee sees that such a one can be given a greater privilege of service, why not grant it to him? If he has demonstrated that now he is going to stay in the house of his Father for good, and that he is loyal in his devotion to the interests of that house, it would seem that he could safely be entrusted again with greater responsibility in the congregation of Jehovah’s people.

*** w62 10/15 p. 632 Bible-based Society of Kingdom Witnesses ***

One disfellowshiped and later reinstated cannot be recommended as an overseer or ministerial servant, since his reputation is not above reproach. (2 Cor. 2:5-11; 1 Tim. 3:1, 2, 7; Titus 1:7

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

The elder who was in my judicial commitee had been reinstated. He was my favorite elder (kind of like a 2nd father, actually). One of those people that really, really cared. When I eventually walked in the room ready for them to tell me that I was out, he was crying. . rather hard actually. I could tell that he was most likely out-voted by the other two SOB's. Little does he know. . he actually did me a favor.

P.S. Eman. . you're cute!

• shera
    shera

I don't know what to say..but it does make me feel like this...

• Englishman
    Englishman

Gosh, thanks Stinky.

Blondie,

Many thanks for that information. I wonder what the official line is now?

Englishman.

• blondie
    blondie

Whatever the market will bear, Englishman. One body of elders will appointment after only 5 years, another will say it must be 20 years before the notoriety dies down. It depends on who you know and how much money you have nowadays just like anything else. I come from a conservative area so it is 5 years for MS and 10 years for elders (with a few exceptions).

Blondie

• Dino
    Dino

When I served, I had heard many different computations from many elders and others. So I specifically asked a CO what time period does the society require to pass before a man can be used again. His reply, "The society will consider a brother to serve again when a period of three years has passed after restrictions had been lifted."

Since a brother is on restrictions after being reinstated, (usually for some time), you can begin to see the time period involved.

Dino

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit