Ozzie's 50th Weekend Poll (Golden Anniversary Poll)

by ozziepost 20 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

13. The decorator on the Regional Building Committee selects about 4 combinations of colors (carpet, paint, wallpaper, tiles, etc.) and posts them in the lobby of the hall. The congregation gets to look at them for about a month and then an anonymous paper vote is done.

It all depends on the abilities of the decorator. In this area, it is a sister with a good reputation and business as a decorator with non-JWs.

Of course, whoever counts the votes could adjust it to their own choice.

Blondie

• Mulan
    Mulan
    13. Other (oh, you must be kidding!) give details
    The decorator on the Regional Building Committee selects about 4 combinations of colors (carpet, paint, wallpaper, tiles, etc.) and posts them in the lobby of the hall. The congregation gets to look at them for about a month and then an anonymous paper vote is done.

That was the way they did it for our KH remodel. One of the heavyweights in our area had a piece of vinyl flooring that he brought over for them to use instead of what was chosen by the congregation. It was so ugly, I almost cried..............we worked so hard on that KH, and then had to put that ugly OLD style floor in for the bathrooms, just because the stinking elder was overstocked with it. It was free, they kept saying. It just ruined everything. Now, 10 years later guess what they are having to replace? Yep the floors in the bathrooms.

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Greetings Ozzie:

Your news of some of the upper echelon questioning and having their own "Crises of Conscience" is very encouraging. Questioning seems to be a vital 1st step that leads to opening ones eyes and becoming liberated. I continue to hope for that effect to become more evident in our area and in fact all areas of the world.

As to you fun weekend poll: Our last decorating adventure turned out to be fiasco. The elders thought they would do the best thing by bringing in a professional decorator who chose a few combinations of paint and wallpaper and brought us samples for the congregation to "vote" on. Once one particularly lovely combination became the most popular, we were all enthused at the cheerfulness it would bring. However, when the Circuit Overseer visited and saw the congregation's choice, he vetoed it saying it looked too much like home decorations instead of a "House of Worship". So he gave his decorating advice? and the congregation listened.

The result: same ole, same ole. Drab combinations of muted colours and a few enhancing trims giving the same ole cold, uninviting, sterilized, solemn atmosphere. And as is the custom....that CO has moved on, but the decorations have stayed.

Oh well, at least I don't have to look at it day in and day out anymore 'cuz I've "had enough".

Cheers,

Had Enough

• blondie
    blondie

Mulan and Had Enough,

Sorry to hear that the process was corrupted. It all depends on the elder body and their ability to stand up to an elder or CO who wants to override process. It makes you realize how easy it is for one elder or the CO to override the judicial process.

Blondie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Great to 'hear' from you Had Enough.

Warm regards to you and yours.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Thank you Ozzie:

I've been trying to keep up with the board on a regular basis. These are hectic times right now for us, so I have been only getting 5-10 minutes on scattered days to visit the board, so I know I've missed alot lately. Hope you and Mrs. Ozzie are keeping well and I hope also to email you folks again soon.

Blondie:

It all depends on the elder body and their ability to stand up to an elder or CO who wants to override process. It makes you realize how easy it is for one elder or the CO to override the judicial process.

Yes this is so true. I've seen it happen in several congregations I've been in. But at least we know it doesn't go unnoticed and often is part of the eroding process from the mind-control for some who are now part of the enlightened ones.

Had Enough

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Sorry to hear that the process was corrupted. It all depends on the elder body and their ability to stand up to an elder or CO who wants to override process.

That elder, who took over the flooring incident, was the chairman of the regional building committee, substitute circuit overseer, charter member of the WTS (that means he goes to the annual board meetings) and he pulled a LOT of weight in our area, and in the whole organization. No one would have stood up to him, or even thought about it. He had clout, believe me.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Hard to say, but there was a fiasco at a local Hall some years ago. These big, garish, purple drapes were mounted on stage. The place looked like a funeral home. The P.O. got all ticked at the elder on the building committee.

• La Capra
    La Capra

My earliest memories involved being at those interminable meetings and being dragged to my feet from my sleep for a song and prayer. RIght before me (since I could never keep my eyes closed during prayer) I would see the red painted metal backs of the upholstered movie theater style seating (complete with armrest between each seat over which to fight with my brothers). About the time I could see past the seats the hall got repainted, upholstered and recarpeted. There was some deep discount from someone, but it limited the choice of the upholstery to a pale gold-yellow naugahyde. Someone also got a great deal on green indoor/outdoor (not astro-turf) carpet. That meant that the only real choice anyone had was paint color for the backs of the chairs. The choice was an obvious one: avocado green. I always tried to use my feet to rub the green paint of the foot bars in the seat ahead of me, so the red would show through. About ten years later everything got redone again, in neutral tones of ivory, light warm browns and off-white tweeds . Shortly before some bigwigs' daughter and son were getting married. Mother of the bride chose that color scheme I'm sure. Shoshana

• JeffT
    JeffT

I don't know who made the decisions, but every KH I've ever been in looked like they picked the person with the worst taste, and sent them to a discount store to get decorating materials.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit