Help!! Baby Birds have invaded!!

by Scully 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

*sigh*

About a month ago, I rescued a bird from our bathroom vent and told Mr. Scully that we needed to install some screening over the opening so that she would not build a nest inside the vent. I even went to the Home Depot and bought some screen. All he had to do was go up on the ladder and install the FREAKING screen.

Did he listen to me? Of course not!

Well, today, after I've worked all night last night and slept the morning away, I hear some bashing around outside, and I discovered that Mr. Scully was indeed up on the ladder. He was very perturbed that our little friend had gone back and done as I said she would. How dare she go and build a perfectly good nest in the bathroom vent!!

To make a long story short, Mr. Scully had removed the nest and was popping it into the garbage bin when I heard *chirping*. (note to self: get Mr. Scully to have his hearing checked) I looked inside and lo and behold.... three hatchlings. Completely bald and pink, about 3 cm long each with tufts of gray fluff on their heads. They must be very young as their eyes are still fused shut. They are soooooo cute!!

I tried to call the local wild bird rescue centre, but they are closed for the long weekend. These little guys need to eat, but I don't know what is appropriate to give them. Mr. Scully is in the process of building a birdhouse, but just in case the parents don't go back to the nest because we've moved it, I would like to know what to give these little guys to eat in the next couple of days until the bird rescue people can come to collect them on Tuesday.

Can anyone offer suggestions?? My cat seems quite open to the idea of having them sleep with *her*.... (don't worry, I won't let that happen LOL)

Love, Scully

• JH
    JH

That happens every year where I live. They make a nest where it is high, warm, and safe. The dryer vent is the ideal place.

They put twigs and make a nest. I could see the birds go in and out of the vent every 2 minutes making their nest.

A sign that there is a nest is that the dryer won't dry the cloths very well. It will take 2 times as long. I could even hear chirping in the vent when the birds were making the nest.

I don't know what to suggest Scully, as food for your feathered friends. Good luck mommy.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

bttt for Scully

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

You might want to try fish bait - worms - if you are willing to chew them up and spit them into the little guys throats - mashing might be OK too though.

There has to be something on the net for this. Check with a vet?

• Valis
    Valis

Scully...first off...if you can get to the babies pick them up w/a towel and put them in a box w/another towel or small blanket....now...get a lamp that you can put next to them...they need to stay warm....for feeding...

mix an egg yolk w/ a bit of milk...it needs to be like it was coming out of mom's gullet...a bit loose and squishy...feed them w/ an eye dropper....will work fine...

best of luck

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Eric
    Eric

Sorry Scully,

But unless Momma Bird can find them when she comes back, they're goners.

It was pouring rain yesterday, and I saw at least a dozen newly hatched goslings instinctively following Momma goose out for a walk. Their back feathers had not yet formed and it was cold last night, it's a sure thing that they are goners too.

There is a large metal box housing electrical junctions that dates back to the 1950's mounted on the south side of an unused building near me. Every year Blackbirds build a nest inside, every year the sun comes out and bakes the metal box like an oven, and the Blackbird hatchlings are goners.

Nature is a harsh mistress, Scully, and does not tolerate mistakes.

Eric

P.S. You could try chopping up worms and bugs for them, but it is certain that you lack Momma birds digestive enzyme.

• Scully
    Scully

Well, I am not a complete novice with this sort of thing.... my brothers and I raised an orphaned starling when we were kids, and my mom mixed some baby pablum for the little bird. That bird was a little more mature, and had all its feathers at that point, but was unable to fly. After a couple of weeks, he was ready to take off and be with his other feathered friends.

Another time... almost 10 years ago, a nest had fallen off of the roof of the townhouse complex where we lived. My youngest daughter was an infant and was not taking solids yet, so when the bird rescue people told me to give the little birds some baby pablum, I didn't have any handy. I did have some breastmilk stored in the fridge for my daughter, and the bird rescue people told me to go ahead and feed them some warmed breastmilk from an eyedropper. Again, these birds were a little more mature than the ones we found today. Plus I'm fresh out of breastmilk. LOL

I picked up a package of pablum at the supermarket and made a little bit of mush for our guests. I've fed them a couple of times each hour and they seemed to be doing well. Mr. Scully put the nest in the birdhouse he built for them and put the birdhouse up close to where the bathroom vent is, and we've been watching to see if the mother will go to her babies. After about an hour, I saw her hop into the birdhouse... she's been going back and forth with food of her own making.

*phew*

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Love, Scully

• Mulan
    Mulan

Call PAWS. We had a sick bird years ago, and they told us to mix egg yolks and milk and feed with an eyedropper. Petstores might be able to help too................Petsmart is one I know, that is a large chain, but I would call PAWS first.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Scully that is so awesome that the mother found them and is taking care of them.

You and Mr Scully done good <<<standing up to applaud>>>

• foreword
    foreword

And now they have a real home....not just a ventilation shaft....

I'm sure the air will be a lot fresher too....LOL....somewhat like moving to the country....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit