Update on elders visit.......

by 7robert7 20 Replies latest jw friends

• 7robert7
    7robert7

Well as a few here know, and for those who dont I've had an ongoing study with a few of the elders from my wifes congregation.

I was quite suprised when one of the elders, I think the less experienced one asked the following question of me.

What is your purpose for getting together for this study, as it seems obvious to me that your not willing to be open minded concerning what we have to share with you today?

I responded that his question really hurt my feelings, and that he shouldnt assume that I wasnt open to what they had to share, simply because I checked everything they shared with scripture.

I pointed out that the Bereans did the same when Paul preached. I went on to explain that his statement made me feel as if it wasnt about my salvation that they were concerned about, but getting me to become a member of the orginization.

Needless to say the older of the two stepped in and tried to dance his way out of this uncomfortable situation, by putting me at ease and trying to reassure me that my salvation was the subject, and not membership in the Society.

They seemed to become uncomfortable everytime I used the word Society, this I couldnt understand. They accused me of having a facination with the Society when they claimed it was about Jehovah.

I asked them why one of the Watchtowers proclaimed on its front cover "Come to Jehovahs Orginization for Salvation" when Christ said come to me.

I asked them if that sounded a bit like the Society was placing the creation before the Creator, to which they responded, "I've never seen that issue. I gave them the information, and asked them to verify wether or not this issue existed.

I went on to ask them why the Society taught that they needed to be members of the Watchtower Society or be annihilated when their own founder warned against allowing anyone to bind your thoughts, and that there was no orginization in existance that could claim to be Gods Orginization, he made this reference concerning the Catholic church and the papacy. Now the Society was following in the Catholic churches foot steps. Boy they didnt like that one.

Again the eldest of the two stated that CT Russel was a prolific writer, who consistantly preached the importance of orginization, and that I had to be mistaken. Again I provided the information, with the idea that they would verify this.

That was two weeks ago, and I havent heard from them since, its really kind of sad though, they both seemed to be wonderful people, confused, but none the less good people.

My wife again showed surprise that her "confused" as she calls me husband gave another set of elders a tough time. She also found the long moments of silence and looks of cofusion on there faces alittle haunting. She felt that they would walk all over me, what she doesnt understand though is that I had help. Thank you Father.

I really hope that they stay in touch, one good thing came out of this. One of the elders from a prior study wants to get together, he explained to my wife, " I dont know why Dana, but their is something about your husband that I really like." I pray that what it is, is the Jesus in me. God Bless.

• qwerty
    qwerty

Hi Rob

You said to the Elders,

I asked them why one of the Watchtowers proclaimed on its front cover "Come to Jehovahs Orginization for Salvation" when Christ said come to me.

I asked them if that sounded a bit like the Society was placing the creation before the Creator, to which they responded, "I've never seen that issue. I gave them the information, and asked them to verify wether or not this issue existed.

You perhaps could have said "I asked them what would they do if one of the Watchtowers proclaimed on its front cover "Come to Jehovahs Orginization for Salvation" when Christ said come to me?

They prob would have said that "the Org would never say that"!

I would have like to have seen there face when you revieled they did!

Maybe you did not know they would not have seen that article!

Anyway well done.

qwerty

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."
    - Will Durant

• hippikon
    hippikon

I'm so proud of you!

"But it does move"
    Galileo

• mommy
    mommy

7Robert7,
    Wow! I am very glad you are able to se the org objectionably. And I hope that maybe one or more of these elders are ctually made to think. Your wife will also be in for a heartache which I am sure you are aware of. I hope the best for all of you.
    I hope the best for all of you. I am learning things everyday about the Society and the bible I never knew when I was in the org. The net is a great resource, but one must be prepared for the reaction the the "news" gives us.
    wendy

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Robert,

Keep up the good work. I like the question I read yesterday and can't wait to ask an elder. The scriptures say that when Christ returns his people will know it, but in 1914 the Society was still teaching that the Second Coming occured in 1874. Robert, God Bless and Let His light shine through you.

Yeru

Hey, email me if you get the chance.

YERUSALYIM
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Shakespere: Hamlet

• JT
    JT

robert

U GO BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• outnfree
    outnfree

7Robert7,
    I am so impressed!!! (and with hippikon's graphic, too!)

Please, if you would, let me know the WT issue you referenced with that cover on it? I've never heard of it, but it could be quite powerful with a particular brother whose family wants him out...

How nice that your wife is seeing the Org. rendered speechless (the elders in this case representing the Org.)! Would your wife be willing to prod these two by asking at the next meeting what they've found and when they're going to get back to you?

"Open-minded." Shame that as far as the SOCIETY goes, the only thing one is supposed to me open-minded about is the ideas and doctrines promoted by itself!

I sincerely hope that these elders will come back to study with you, as I think it may help your wife to leave. (Which I assume is the objective?)

Again, Bravo!!!
    outnfree

• uncle_onion
    uncle_onion

I would like to know the issue date as well please.

UO

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Reading that gave me goose bumps!!! You have balls!! I love anyone that can stand up to the elders and give it to them!!

Bravo!

. o O (slipnslidemaster)

• 7robert7
    7robert7

You’re underestimating the holy spirits guidance qwerty. The issue I mentioned doesn’t exist, on the other hand the quote does.

In other words the quote wasn’t made on the front cover but on the inside of the issue within one of its articles.

The elders made it a point at the next meeting to let my wife know that I was being dishonest, and that the Society would never make a statement that placed itself before Jehovah as the key to ones salvation.

My wife came home and in a rather angry tone, accused me of lying. I asked her if the elders stated that the Society would never make such a statement, to which she responded yes. So that she couldn’t wiggle her way out of it, again I asked, “the elders said that the Society never made the following statement in any of its publications, the statement being,” Come to Jehovah’s organization for salvation.” To which she responded, I’m not a child Robert, yes, that statement was never made.

I then asked her to go to her kingdom hall library and to look up the following issue just to make sure. The issue is the Watchtower Magazine, November 15, 1981, pg. 21.

This really threw her for a bit of a loop when she heard me mention the page number, because it finally hit her what I had done. She realized that the statement wasn’t on the cover, but that it was inside. She knows that I’ve never lied to her in 6 years of marriage, so she now knew that I was in fact telling the truth. She went to check anyways, to which I responded, “I wish you would spend as much time checking what you’re being taught by these strangers as you do your own husband.” J She was smiling too by the way.

Well to cut it short, she checked it, found it, and read it. She asked one of the two elders to check the article because it looked to her as if they were the ones who had made the mistake, by stating that the Society would never make such a statement (you go girl), to which he responded with a question,” Why, your not doubting us are you. ?” Conveniently, the elder got called away before she could answer his question, she felt that the other one was listening in to their conversation and stepped in to avoid a bad situation.

Bad situation for whom, one might ask?

I’ll keep everyone posted on the unfolding drama at hand, until then keep my wife Dana, and her mother and father John and Nancy Seifert in prayer. God Bless.

Oh, and by the way, thanks to all for the encouragement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit