Love for the needy in the borg

by LeslieV 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I do have to peep up here...there were several times as a child that my family was helped.

There was a few brothers and sisters that would come pick us up for the meetings because my father would not provide a car for my mom. (that may not seem a lot to some, but these people went way out of their way, and those were very very christian people...if all witnesses were like the few I am thinking of, it would be the true religion).

Also, when I was about 12, we literaly had no food....my mother cheerfully handed me a butterknife and instructed me to go out in the yard and dig up Dandelion greens so we could have supper. I was out in the yard doing this, when a couple from the hall pulled up. They had at least a weeks worth of groceries in their car for us, and an envelope with some cash in it. Now, at the time there were 6 of us kids at home plus my parents, so a weeks worth of groceries were quite a bit. The couple did contribute money to the groceries, but they told my mom that several other witnesses did as well, but did not wish to be identified.

Another time, after I had fallen on hard times as an adult, and single mom, two sisters showed up at my door with a few bags of groceries, and an elder gave me some money (it was only 20 bucks, but he also helped me move on short notice, and did not have a lot of money himself). And there were some close friends that I had at the hall that helped me in other ways in my time of need.

Over all, it is true that there is NOT enough help for the needy. Because they focus too much on the preaching work, there is no focus on charitable works. This is one of the reasons that I could not bring myself to continue in the hall. There are several witnesses I know that are in need...be it because they are mentally disabled, or have addictions that they are struggling with...and because the elders feel that they cause thier own problems by not being more active in the hall, they do not help. And when you are witnesses are made to feel shamed about their own problems, you do not spend much time figuring out how you can help others if it cannot be recorded as ministry hours.

My mother would not allow us to shop at Salvation Army...but the good will is okay. She would never go to a soup kitchen if it was at a church.

It is sad....semantics getting in the way of helping others. I don't know much about the Salvation Army as a religion, but what I know about the programs for the needy they run, they have my respect.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Aguest...that is a very sad story, but I was not surprised by it at all.

It is interesting that as a single mom, I was sometimes looked down on BECAUSE I did not stay home with my son and went out in service more. I was very careful to never referred to my job as my career...god forbid.

That poor sister...doing everything she could to be a good sister, and that happens.

I hope she is in a better circle now.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I hope she is in a better circle now.

Well, let's see...

1. She did end up getting married - of course, the congregation(s) LOVED that...

2. To a man who "studied" - of course, the congregation LOVED that, too!

3. And who also beat one of the girls pretty badly so that at age 16 they were both taken from the home by the County...

4. And came to live with me for about two (2) months (imagine my surprise when my son brought them home, under such circumstances!!), while waiting for the County to decide between their biological father and a foster home...

5. To which the sister (who was now "in" and, so, of course, couldn't turn her back on her "studying" husband)... decided she couldn't "communicate" with me because, well, I am df'd (big whoop!)...

6. And the girls finally went to live with their biological father and his wife... who are NOT Witnesses...

7. And are doing quite fine.

I don't know about the sister. I don't think I want to: I liked her the way she was...

Anyway...

Peace.

A slave of Christ,

SJ (who TRULY does not "fault" the sister - not at all - but those who ENSLAVED her - for who of us, at some point, didn't want to be "accepted", at almost whatever "cost", which, for some, included family?)

• Mary
    Mary

".....Where is the love for the fatherless boy and widows that we heard so much about when we were in the borg????...."

Well they SHOULD be out in Service for heavens sake!! Don't they realize that if you put the Kingdom first "all these other things will be added to you"????

In my Hall, if you were having financial difficulties, but were at ALL the meetings and out in Service all the time, they would help you with meals and bills. However, if you were "weak" then you were basically ignored and were told that your "worldly" relatives should be helping you out.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Not really sure where you're coming from, dear Mary... but peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit