The bread pan illustration is totally flawed

by purrpurr 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

It just suddenly occured to me today...

You know the jws always say about Adams sin being passed on to his descendants that its like you have a bread pan with a dent in it and that every loaf of bread will then have a dent? Well that's fine for bread, cos your using the same pan. But that's not how genetics work?

The illustration would work if Adam kept on fathering kids but he didn't. If a family has a disease that is passed along, with more and more genes and DNA eventually the disease will be bred out.

The illustration might also work if you said that you made a mould of each loaf of bread, then made that mould into a new bread tin, and then kept on doing that. .. although wouldn't that eventually result in the dent disappearing?

Anyway didn't Jesus also say not to punish children for the sins of their parents? Pretty insane since that's exactly what his dad did!

• cofty
    cofty

It's a good question purrpurr.

I don't think the WT has ever defined what they actually mean when they say Adam became 'imperfect' or how it differs from 'perfection'.

How did he pass on 'imperfection' exactly?

They did state a long time ago that 'imperfection' can only be passed on by the man but I don't know if they ever revised that bit of nonsense.

• never a jw
    never a jw

The JW's have a flawed interpretation of something that is very flawed already (original sin belief or doctrine) and depends on something fraught with problems (Judaism, Christianity, a loving, personal God that murders left and right, etc.) Is it worth even having a discussion?

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

The higher education drop outs(GB), have a very very limited understanding of how genetics works, as this bread pan illustration clearly shows I would now say below a 3rd grade level understanding of how the world really works. No wonder they forbid higher education their illustrations don't work on those more educated then themselves.

• steve2
    steve2

To appreciate the wisdom of this fine analogy you have to switch off your thinking, reasoning brain.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

When we look back, so many of the illustrations used by the wtbts are pretty shallow. The same silly illustrations they use to "prove" da troof, can also be used by a reasonable person to refute da troof!

just saying!

• waton
    waton

may be that is why no bread pans are used in making the memorial flat breads ? flaws in the eaters is enough? . perfection passed on by male inheritance too? lucky ladies, unaffected by all these male story spinners.

• Perry
    Perry

purrpurr, I think you are suggesting that God punishes people for something Adam did, Is that right?

If so, that is not what the bible teaches. Each of us is responsible for our own sins. Ezekiel 18:20 tells us, “The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son.”

This verse clearly shows that punishment for one’s sins is borne by that person.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Maybe Adams sperm had a dent in it and he passed it along to his children and then their children passed along a dent in their sperm to their children and so on and so on and so on

What about all of the scriptures that state the sins of the father will be poured out on the offspring to the third and fourth generations ?

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

You mean the bed pan illustration. It's FOS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit