DA/DF Difference?

by Olig 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Olig
    Olig

Evening again.... I know this is my second part today but I've just been thinking.... Possibly a stupid question, so don't laugh haha!

Can someone explain the difference between Disassociation and Disfellowshipping?

Never really heard of Disassociation before if I'm totally honest!

OG

• Olig
    Olig

Second post today*

• sir82
    sir82

Disfellowship = 3 elders determine that (A) you committed some sort of "serious sin" and (B) you aren't "repentant enough".

They announce to the congregation that you "are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" which is the congregation's signal to start shunning you.

Disassociate = you write a letter stating you want to quit being a JW. Two or three elders will verify that you really did write the letter. (* see below)

They announce to the congregation that you "are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" which is the congregation's signal to start shunning you.

As you can see, the end result is 100% identical - you are shunned by every JW everywhere.

* Note from above: "Disassociation" can also be [done to you]. There are certain "serious sins" that the JWs don't treat as "disfellowshipping offenses" (joining the army, taking a blood transfusion, etc.) because they fear retribution or loss of charity status from certain governments. If you commit a "disassociation offense" they will assign 2 or 3 elders to verify that you really did what you did. Afterwards, they announce to the congregation that you "are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" which is the congregation's signal to start shunning you.

• Olig
    Olig

I see, so from a personal viewpoint there's no real difference! Thanks for clearing this up for me sir82! As far as you know then is there no real way of leaving without them shunning you?

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Exactly... almost sounds like a cult or something doesn’t it?

• john.prestor
    john.prestor
    You can't formally leave without them shutting you, Olig. What a lot of people on here choose to do is called fading, they just slowly stop attending services, stop going door-to-door, and hope the elders don't notice snd that their family doesn't shun them for becoming inactive. Often it works, sometimes it doesn't.
  • Tameria2001
    Tameria2001
    The problem with trying to fade out is that some people just won't allow it. So I tip my hat to those who managed to pull this one off.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    As far as you know then is there no real way of leaving without them shunning you?

It all depends on the kind of people your friends and family are. Some fade successfully and are not shunned by everyone, some don't manage it. It seems to take years and years to do it successfully, be warned.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Just to throw a spanner in the works. Years ago, a JW married couple in our old congo got together for swapses with an unbaptised couple who were regularly attending meetings. The married couple were disfellowshipped; the unbaptised couple were disassociated.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The married couple were disfellowshipped; the unbaptised couple were disassociated.

That action against "non-members" is "Old Light". Unbaptized publishers can be formally announced that they are "no longer a publisher", but if an unbaptized person just attends meetings and has not yet become an "approved publisher" then there is no formal action that can be taken by the Congregation. The Elders would likely verbally convey that such ones are bad association or perhaps give a local needs talk about the bad conduct of "wife swapping" (adultery).

Sir82 states the new/current position and correct definition of these things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit