how do most of you now feel about the military?

by sowhatnow 70 Replies latest social family

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm talking every conflict this country has been in the last 40 years ... - you have a point. There have been unjust wars the US has been involved in and indiscipline of US soldiers. There should be criticism where it's due.

It's a different world and this government the good old USA are not always the "Good guys." - sorry, you've got your head stuck up your arse. Have a look at what's currently going on across the globe and you'll find out who the 'bad guys' are. And it ain't the US ...

You think war is a good idea? - war might not be 'good' - it's certainly not ideal - but it is necessary sometimes. ISIS need to be stopped.

Then invest your son - no. In the West, we have freedom of choice, i.e. if someone's son turns 18 and wants to join the military, there's nothing the parents can do to stop them.

• DJS
    DJS

New boy,

Now that's more like it. Few would disagree with you that the US and other nations too often rush to war. Few would disagree with you that the US at times acts as though the only foreign policy tool they have is a hammer and every issue looks like a nail. Few would disagree that sometimes the US has acted in a despicable manner when it comes to how war has been waged. No one would disagree that we are a violent, pathetic species.

That's probably for another OP. The millions of individuals serving in our militaries typically have nothing to do with policy making or how or whether wars are fought. They do so honorably to serve and protect.

When I was a dub this issue was so very black and white. Then I learned the world is full of grey. If the US military went away tomorrow it wouldn't make war go away, nor would it make horrific acts of violence committed in war go away, or even lessen. The US military really does take extraordinary measures to avoid harming innocents, even though they haven't always and they don't always now. That's life and war.

The US and other Western militaries, like it or not, serve a purpose in this phase of our evolutionary history. Without it and its deterrent effect and hammer, there are a lot of scenarios we could dream up about what life would look like in 2016. And I can't think of any good ones.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Have never supported it; Do not think ever will, although my taxes are used towards it.

US military has done such criminal harm in the Middle East that I cannot bring myself to ever be interested.

Poor members believe they are agents of good. In reality, nothing more than sacrificial lambs to the God of greed and war.

For sure my deep JW indoctrination plays a part in my feelings about all things.

DY

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Conflicted.

I do understand the need for a standing military (and will never oppose it), but I'm inherently bothered by it's authoritarian nature (even though I know it's the only way it'll work) and have issues with some of the problems that stem from such.

Plus, I can't shake the feeling that superpower militaries are insane, bloated monstrosities.

(And yes, I do acknowledge that Canada not being a superpower - and thusly, not possessing a bloated military - somewhat biases me.)

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

A couple of decades ago, Sweden had a strong military. Then a strange thing happened and in 2000, the Swedish Parliment made a decision to cut the budget by half. And in 2004 25% of the military personal were let go.

Now I can only assume the Swedish polititians either:-

A) Do not imagine there is a need to defend the country.

B) They realise even if they had a large military, they couldn't defend themselfs against Russia's military.

Q) What are the advantages of Swedish military cutbacks?

A) The money has been spent on the health of the population, and giving the aged,sick and disabled a decent quality of life.

For many Swedish citizens there's no question this is a good thing, yet many citizens would prefer a strong military. My opinion it would be nice if we lived in the words of John Lennon....." and the world will live as one"

The Rebel.

• DJS
    DJS

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. Some of you continue to blame the military for decisions made by policy makers and politicians. The military follows their orders and the rules of combat are typically politically inspired or directed by policy makers. The crisis in Syria is heart breaking, but it wasn't caused by the US military. When you see this:

You need to understand that there is a direct link between that picture and the other horrors of the Syrian War and this:

Without the pressure on the Intel community from people like Cheney, the arm twisting on people like Colin Powell by people like Rumsfeld and Bush and the intentional misrepresentation of intelligence, we would likely never have gone into Iraq. The war machine behind ISIS resulted in large part by the dismantling of the Iraqi army in the mid 2000s by another US Policy maker. Without those former Iraqi military minds, rolodex, access to funds and other resources and the knowledge of how to take territory and keep it, ISIS would either not exist or would be a minor player - the JV team as Obama once called them.

The military caused none of this other than following orders.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

You need to understand that there is a direct link between that picture and the other horrors of the Syrian War and this: - this may be so.

There is also a direct link between Alan Kurdi's death and his father putting him on a rickety little boat. This direct link is undeniable.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

The military numbers 2014 1354000, in 1970 over 3 million. With the new technology today

we don't need a large military force. Hell today with the technology we have you can be

more selective in getting to your enemy. There is no need to kill thousands of innocent people,

with today smart bomb you can wipe out a crazy leader while he is having dinner in his living room and

cause no damage to his neighbors.

We need police for the world.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Without those former Iraqi military minds, rolodex, access to funds and other resources and the knowledge of how to take territory and keep it, ISIS would either not exist or would be a minor player - maybe so.

However, 9/11 happened before the illegal invasion of Iraq. What must be acknowledged is that Salafi terrorism has its own centre of gravity - even if the West made no mistakes in foreign policy, there would still exist groups that want to kill us and establish Sharia across the world.

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

I have great respect for those who serve.

Unfortunately, in the US government, they do not.

They cynically use the troops as cannon fodder to promote imperial and monetary aims.

When the troops that they claim to love come home, with missing limbs, maimed faces, and horrible psychological wounds, the government then cuts their funding, and leaves them to rot.

Hey, you need someone to defend at the gates of the city? I'll be there with my sons!

You want me to send my boys to fight in a war so that Dick Cheney and his effing cronies can increase their stock portfolio? Hell, no!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit