Abolitionist Harriet Tubman will replace President Andrew Jackson on the US$20 bill

by oppostate 21 Replies latest social current

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Excellent! What took the powers that be so long?!

Perhaps when the Canadian-Hispanic Cruz becomes president we can get a Hispanic in one of the currency bills.

Eventually, there should be an Oriental/Asian, a Native American, a Hindu, a Middle Eastern, one of each of the great races which make up this awesome nation.

DY🌞

• oppostate
    oppostate
    Dr. Ben Carson:
    “Andrew Jackson was ... a tremendous president,” Carson said on Fox.
    Carson insisted that he does not dislike Tubman, an African American Civil War-era abolitionist and conductor on the Underground Railroad. But he disagrees with replacing Jackson.
    “I love Harriet Tubman,” Carson said. “I love what she did. But we can find another way to honor her. Maybe, uh, maybe, a $2 bill.”

This guy is a real dufus! And Trump is thinking of making him Secretary of Education if he gets elected. Give me a break!

You have no idea how hardcore Harriet Tubman really was

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/04/21/the-audacious-career-of-harriet-tubman-the-new-face-of-the-20-bill/

"The woman who will be the face of the new $20 bill, Harriet Tubman, was a daring and principled fighter. Her dramatic career included defying slaveowners, smuggling dozens of slaves to freedom as part of the Underground Railroad, leading raids in the Civil War, and fighting for women's right to vote -- all of which she accomplished with a disability.
    "Basically, Tubman was as tough as nails. The former slave risked her life countless times, and even performed an ad hoc dental surgery on herself while on the road for the Underground Railroad, knocking her front tooth out with a pistol, says biographer Catherine Clinton."
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Edited to delete it all because IRDGAS about it.

I'll stick to JW issues.

Doc

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

Hey DOC, I imagine you are gonna be stuck in a hard place at your local ATM; I also look forward to seeing your hardline stance when someone can only pay you in $20's.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Money is money. I don't like that "In God We Trust" but I will still take bills that say it and spend them.

I don't see a problem putting different kinds of political heroes on the money. The USA is a "hero-history" nation. So if they rotate the heroes, so be it.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Hey DOC, I imagine you are gonna be stuck in a hard place at your local ATM; I also look forward to seeing your hardline stance when someone can only pay you in $20's.

Yeah, I'll get over it. I just hate "political correctness". I'm really shocked they couldn't come up with a black, female, lesbian, vegetarian, muslim and get all the bases covered at once.

ATM, Captain? Never have had a need for one.

Doc

• glenster
    glenster

MLK will be on the back of the $5 bill. He had the conservative stance on homosexuals.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/16/what-did-mlk-think-about-gay-people/

It's probably better to advocate principles instead of human heroes.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Jackson did one good thing he was able to get rid of the private bank ruining the country when he was president and a private central bank staid out of power for about 70 years until Wilson was duped into signing a bill allowing a new private back called the Federal Reserve. Its crazy to think his picture was ever allowed to be on a Federal Reserve Note.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

At a time when neither women nor people of color had any powet this woman did many great things. Harriet Tubman once had to lead some slaves to feeedom but had a sore tooth and feared it would become infected and prevent her from doing her job. She used her pistol to shoot out the tooth. She was a great woman, I don't see the problem with giving her this honor.

Not "political correctness", just the right thing to do.

• nimrath
    nimrath

At work we're referring the the Harriet Tubman 20's as "Ugly Twenties".

If we're going to go politically correct I would select Vanessa Williams to be on the Twenty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit