What does "The disfellowshipping of xyz is now rescinded" mean

by cognitivedizzy 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Was an elder for 20 years, Never heard of it.

DFs dont get overturned.

Procedure is:

Local JC makes the determination.

If the publisher disagrees with the outcome - there can be an Appeal.

A JC with more from outside the Congregation usually with experience reviews the case to see if mistakes were made, and upholds the DF or no.

If publisher still disagrees saying something was done wrong - it can be appealed to the Brach (FYI almost know one knows this).

But when someone is DFed - there is no other mechanism but doing your time and coming to meetings bla bla bla, for the verdict to change.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Perhaps it went to a appeals committee and they saw the first committee was wrong in their judgment. Still Totally ADD

• minimus
    minimus

If it was rescinded it was cancelled. The announcement is to say the Disfellowshipping should not have happened.... and no doubt the congregation will be ordered not to discuss it and simply leave things in Jehovah’s hands. I wouldn’t be surprised if a legal issue came into the picture.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

In all my years as a JW, I have heard of this happening twice.

In the one case I am aware of, the person really didn't care and was a PIMO. Apparently someone who looked like him was spotted by a JW going into a single woman's house at night and told the elders. The elders did the spying stake-out thing and waited in their car and "saw" him go into the house at night. When asked by the elders, he denied it. He was DF'd and did not appeal.

After the fact, and the reality of what was happening with his family, he presented evidence that he was not even in town the night that the elders claim they saw him. He showed evidence that he was traveling to see relatives/vacation in another state. The elders called and confirmed his side of the story. He also had a couple of receipts from things he had purchased hundreds of miles away that weekend when the elders said they saw him near his home.

In the end, an announcement was made something to the effect that the he was no longer disfellowshipped and that any congregation action against him had be rescinded.

He was not in my congregation but in the next town over and it was quite the news for several weeks.

Rub a Dub

• sir82
    sir82

The person who was DF'ed called the local Bethel to complain.

There must have been some colossal screw-up not only by the original judicial committee but also the appeal committee. The DFing does not apply, the DF'ed person remains a part of the congregation.

Somewhere out there, there are at least 6 elders who are getting a thorough reaming by the Co, as well as receiving nasty nasty letters from their local Bethel.

• mann377
    mann377

I knew of one person that was disfellowshiped for one day. This was at the Farm in the mid 70's. The two sisters that framed him confessed to the lies. No action was taken against them. He was kicked out of the farm and was not let back in.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

“There must have been some colossal screw-up“

In all my time I never heard that . I know someone who was reinstated after a ridiculously short time but he got the normal reinstatement announcement.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The announcement is no longer a JW. Leaves the rumor mill and gossips to fill in the blanks

You never know what the local geniuses will do or say though

• cognitivedizzy
    cognitivedizzy

Hi Smiddy3 , i wasn't insinuated at all buddy :)

I think most are right some colossal screw up with the person getting the branch involved

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow
    Perhaps it went to a appeals committee and they saw the first committee was wrong in their judgment.

If someone appeals - there is NO announcement made since the verdict is not in.

ONLY after any and all appeals are made and there is a decision to DF is an announcement made.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit