Need help understanding the Overlapping Generation teaching

by Jules Saturn 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Need help understanding the Overlapping Generation teaching

Is is that you, brother Splane?

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

What do you think is the future of this? They can't keep this teaching. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Splane said something about how the generation could go as long to the point where it's possible that Witnesses can read about the current GB in a future updated version of the Proclaimers book, but basically implying that it can carry on for another 30 years until it has to be revised again.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

no need to revise it. overlapping generations can keep on overlapping ad infinitum.. means armageddon is still just around the corner in gods timescale--or maybe 100,000 years to us. dont worry about it. splane knows what hes talking about.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Let me see if I can help you understand the "Why Doesn't This Make Sense?" question that you have about the Overlapping Generation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63UlBsdElsY

(when I tried inserting the link, I lost 15 minutes of written explanation. I don't know if this is a glitch within Simon's control, or with Firefox.)

When I first heard the Overlapping Generations BS it was a WTF? moment for me. Many JWs feel the same way, they just do not utter their thoughts aloud because doubts are not allowed. Admittedly, those doing so are in the minority, but that does NOT mean that most JWs understand and accept the Overlapping BS. Because MOST JWs have no fcuking idea what they believe. Most just go along like sheep to the slaughter with their heads up their arse.

Move on now (with your life)!

Good luck!

The greatest revenge is living a happy & successful life!

• jp1692
    jp1692

Jules: That's so weird, because every Witness I know swallows it up and believes it firmly.

Because it's a cult. You cannot question the leadership of a cult. You must blindly accept everything they teach no matter whether it makes sense or not. The WT even said this a couple of years ago:

• "At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not. - Watchtower, November 15, 2013, p. 20, paragraph 17"

Listen, obey and be blessed: It's a cult!

• jp1692
    jp1692

This:

Giordano: The overlapping generation is a very weak made up excuse for getting 1914 wrong. They have painted themselves into a corner and have to remain there.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Jules,

Here is a repost of an "explanation" of the "overlapping generation which Oubliette put together a few years ago. Personally, I believe Splane completely plagiearized this for his presentation, the difference being that Splane evidently believes this crap whereas Oubliette was showing what nonsense it is:

[Everything between the horizontal lines is quoted from the original post. The first sentence has a link to that post.]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Overlapping Generation teaching is really complete nonsense.

I was trying to wrap my head around the latest "update" to it in this week's WT Study article; not to try and understand it--because, hey, it's nonsense--but to make clear to any lurkers how silly and implausible it all is. - Watchtower, January 15, 2014, p. 30-31, paragraphs 14 - 16.

Here's my take on it:

OG 2.0

So, apparently, there are now three groups of "anointed" ones:

1. Those anointed before 1914
    2. Those anointed after 1914, but before the death of the last of those in group #1.
    3. Those anointed after the death of the last person in group #1. (See point #2 above)

Although not mentioned in the article, the key person in this concept is Frederick William Franz. Born in 1893, Franz was baptized in 1913 or 1914, making him part of the first group. He is also presumably the last person of the first group to die. Franz died on December 22, 1992.

According to this week's WT, the first two groups comprise the "this generation" that Jesus mentioned at Matthew 24:34, albeit in an "overlapping" manner. The third group is explicitly NOT part of "this generation."

Thus, not every anointed person today is included in “this generation” of whom Jesus spoke. - w2014, 1/15, p. 32, para. 16

Careful readers of this week's study article will note that it contained no scriptural references or evidence of any kind to support this new twist on the "Overlapping Generation" idea. It is all just unfounded assertion.

But hey, who needs evidence when you're the leaders of a cult.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• jp1692
    jp1692

For comparison, here's a picture of Splane with his chart:

Note the reference to F.W.F (Frederick William Franz) in the chart, a detail which was NOT in the original WT article. Curiously, Splane also mentioned in his video presentation the uncertainty about Franz baptism date, a little know and infrequently discussed odd fact.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Also interesting is this point:

"It is more than likely that Mark Sanderson did not begin partaking until AFTER Fred Franz died. This means that he is categorically NOT a member of the "second part" of the "overlapping generation." This is, I believe, the reason why the WT writers came up with the third group of "anointed ones" a little more than a year ago.

Thus, not every anointed person today is included in “this generation” of whom Jesus spoke.- WT, January 15, 2014, p. 31, paragraph 16

"Classic cult damage control to explain away Marky-Mark."

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

PROGRESSIVE WATCHTOWER LIGHT ON “THIS GENERATION”

In 1968 the youngest of the 1914 generation were 15 years old.

"Jesus was obviously speaking about those who were old enough to witness with understanding what took place when the 'last days' began. ... Even if we presume that youngsters 15 years of age would be perceptive enough to realize the import of what happened in 1914, it would still make the youngest of 'this generation' nearly 70 years old today." (Awake! Oct 8, 1968 p13)

In 1978 the youngest of the 1914 generation were clearly not babies

"Thus, when it comes to the application in our time, the "generation" logically would not apply to babies born during World War I. It applies to Christ's followers and others who were able to observe that war and the other things that have occurred in fulfillment of Jesus' composite "sign."" (Watchtower Oct 1, 1978 p31)

In 1980 the youngest of the 1914 generation were revised to 10 years olds.

"As indicated by an article on page 56 of U.S. News & World Report of January 14, 1980, "If you assume that 10 is the age at which an event creates a lasting impression on a person's memory," then there are today more than 13 million Americans who have a "recollection of World War I."" (Watchtower Oct 15, 1980 p31)

In 1984 the youngest of the 1914 generation were reduced to babies.

"If Jesus used "generation" in that sense and we apply it to 1914, then the babies of that generation are now 70 years old or older. And others alive in 1914 are in their 80's or 90's, a few even having reached a hundred. There are still many millions of that generation alive." (Watchtower May 15, 1984 p5)

In 1988 the youngest were babies that were born in 1914

"Likewise today, most of the generation of 1914 has passed away. However, there are still millions on earth who were born in that year or prior to it." (Watchtower April 8, 1988 p14)

In 1995 age no longer was a factor in determining the 1914 generation

“Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term “generation” as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics.” – Watchtower Nov 1, 1995, p.20.

Finally in 2010 the 1914 generation overlaps.

How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”? He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great
    tribulation. That generation had a beginning, and it surely will have an end. The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicate that the tribulation must be near. By maintaining your sense of urgency and keeping on the watch, you show that you are keeping up with advancing light and following the leadings of holy spirit.—Mark 13:37. Watchtower 04/15, 2010 Article: Holy Spirit’s Role in the Outworking of Jehovah’s Purpose

https://youtu.be/ejO0Z8m2n-k

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit