Poll: Atheists overwhelmingly oppose the death penalty, but most Christians favor it

by Disillusioned JW 44 Replies latest social current

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

IN-PERFECT SOLUTIONS

I meant IMPERFECT!

A good example of humans being flawed is perhaps comparing it to a brand new vehicle. I've seen some people who have a truck they bought in their teenage years, and they still have it at age 80s.

The Truck had some minor problem but nothing serious. At least not serious enough to get rid of it.

Others bought a new truck and it was stolen and damaged. No matter how much the person tried to fix it, something always seems to break. The only solution in this case if you don't want any problems, in your life is to Get Rid of the Truck.

The same with humans. Some humans, though no fault of their own are either born defective, become defective because of the environment they were born into, or because of some BAD experience, they become DAMAGED in one way or another and cannot be rehabilitated.

The Person now is a danger to innocent men, women and children in the Society he lives in.

The Damaged person has to be put down as sad as that is.Otherwise we endanger the innocent.

https://www.history.com/news/8-of-historys-most-notorious-serial-killers

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Serial killers ,rapists who murder their victims ,paedophiles who kill kids ,etc,etc.

i`m in favour of the death penalty for these people who commit these crimes.

However I do see a need for alternative solutions for jailing non violent ,petty crimes committed by one timers ,whereby habitual criminals still need to serve time in jail.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@slimboyfat

It is better to prevent a violent crime in the first place than it is to punish it after it has occurred.

That is correct, but that requires an increase in policing. And it’s impossible to have someone followed around, just in case, some people need to be involuntarily committed to some institution, which is the definition of a prison.

The countries with fewest people in prison are the countries with the lowest rates of violent crime. The countries with the highest number of inmates are the countries with the highest rates of violent crime.

That is incorrect. The US has the highest number of inmates (600/100,000) and has among the lowest rates of crime (381 per 100,000), Scandinavia is the exact opposite with Denmark having one of the lowest inmate populations (72/100k) and one of the highest rates of reported crime in the world (10500/100k). Not only that but the feeling of being unsafe and unreported crime is immensely high in the Scandinavian countries.

The problem with crime statistics in Europe however is that if the perpetrator is not found to be guilty, for much of the property crime the EU does not pursue or report it as a crime. Thus lower sentencing guidelines leads to fewer reported crime, not because it doesn’t happen, but because it doesn’t get reported by the police as being a crime. Similar to how in California, crime rates dropped after they declared stealing less than $950 is not a crime, weird how that works.

Prisons don’t prevent violent crime they make the problem worse.

The stats don’t bear it out, at least not for western countries.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    LUHE What do we do with a guy like that? You tell me!

Well true enough he must be taken out of circulation. No question. He would have never gotten out. Cannot be treated.

Also the Moors murderers. Cannot be treated, will never get out. I believe they forfited their right to life LUHE . I guess it's the more nuanced cases is our problem.

Edit: just to say the girls the boy hurt in my story were ok. One was admitted to hospital, since discharged. Nevertheless it's a frightening incident.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Diogenesister - I kinda agree with a lot of the points you made - there are people in prison who shouldn't be.

Prevention is better than cure.

The trouble is, how can we devise a system that prevents crime without taking away liberties for law-abiding people?

I just can't see it happening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit