What makes you---YOU?

by eyeuse2badub 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I think people have a basic personality but that can be altered with life experiences. Although I have always been very mindful of animals and bugs, I've had to become a little more ruthless towards spiders.

And tho for the most part, I'm not the naive and easily manipulated person I once was before the WT and a family member screwed me over - I still want to be kind and generous - unless you cross me

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I would say that thing we call 'you" is pure imaginary, it's a thing that happens in the brain. One can by absorption become the object, the default mode network shuts down. Once the DFM gets shut down the 'you' gets shut down to, and one is in a higher state of consciousness, less restricted, the unity or I am everything state of awareness can be pretty intense.

So I view 'you' as an imaginary construct of the psyche I'm pretty sure that if this universe is a hologram then the unity experience gives one a truer picture of the universe.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I am that I am , I`m not sure whether that makes me God or Popeye

• jp1692
    jp1692

We are who we are as a result of the combined effects of nature and nurture (or lack thereof)—genetics and environment—with genetics having the dominant role.

We have absolutely no hope at all of self-determination until we are a mid-teenager at best, and by then our personality is largely set. If, after that, we have any hope of becoming who we think we want to be, it will only happen with great effort and introspection. That look in the mirror is more than most of us can handle and the work involved is more than most people can bear or are willing to do. So the vast majority of humans are destined to be nothing more or less than who and what their parents made them—for better or for worse as their parents before them.

We are all largely the products of decisions that were not well thought out: emotional reactions made in haste with little, if any, reflection or contemplation of the possible consequences or results.

This is the history of humanity. The few exceptions are notable for being few and far between.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Nothing.

I guess I figured that out after listening to Lawrence Krauss' lecture on A Universe From Nothing.

At the most, I'm just a field of energy dancing for itself.

Existential crisis over.

• flipper
    flipper

My mom & dad getting together doing the horizontal bop made me who I am. I don't know how everybody else got here. I can only speak for myself. lol.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Some very insightful comments so far. Isn't it so very liberating now that we know ttatt we can at least try to make ourselves who we want to be instead of allowing others to make you---YOU!

just saying!

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Neuroscience has it kind of narrowed down to where the sense of 'you' is in the brain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_mode_network

Flow states the "you" kind of goes away and you become hyperfocus'd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

• sinboi
    sinboi

I am like a wave at its peak, thinking how great and powerful I am.

But when I reach the shore, I realise that I am just water.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit