Almost half of UK congregations are financially in the red

by truthseeker 41 Replies latest members private

• Listener
    Listener
    Kingdom Halls cannot operate on continual deficits otherwise they would be borrowing money and the only money lent to them has been in relation to the building. You will find that from one year to the next the one congregation will be in the red then in the black.
  • truthseeker
    truthseeker

They have to be including congregations outside of the U.K. I downloaded all the charities that were JW congregations and the total wasn't near that figure. Also 8 records are assembly halls and a JW care home.

• Listener
    Listener

A JW care home? Could you please provide more details regarding that?

• never a jw
    never a jw

40% is 40%. Half is half. Two very different things. Don't watchtower the numbers please

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The WTB&TS / IBSA AKA Jehovah`s Witnesses do not operate Care Homes for the Aged, Infirm,or anybody else.

truthseeker ? Please explain.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Fine, 40% then.

But if you want to be technical, it's 44% (689/1540) and 42% (650/1540).

Also, these include congregations where they have been disbanded/merged.

So if I take out the 90 congregations that are no longer registered as charities the numbers are as follows:

689/1450 = 47%

650/1450 = 45%

Pretty darn close to 50% to me.

I should have made my numbers more clearer. The data is out there for all to see.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Smiddy,

The care home also happens to be where a congregation meets but I will confirm this later.

England & Wales Care Home N/A

Registered
    Jah-Jireh Charity Homes http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1062023&SubsidiaryNumber=0 Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses info@jah-jireh.org

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Steve,

Agreed.

If you take out the 90 congregations that are no longer exist, the numbers come to 47 and 44%. I should have made that clearer.

This is a very exciting and interesting project. I have to download all the congregation addresses and match them with the congregation charities and this is a laborious process. I have the financial data for 2012-2017, this is basically money that came in and money that came out.

i did find one congregation that had actually attached their accounts so you can see the amount of gift aid they received (this is a UK tax rebate)

The purpose of this project is to find out how many congregations are in the UK, how many no longer exist, and see if there is a pattern of congregations being merged/disbanded. Also to look at the financial details at the time of the merge/disbandonment and see if there is a pattern. To find out how many congregations share the same hall (this can be done once I do the address matching). The JW meeting finder shows whether a congregation has a foreign language group.

I think the British branch do include countries like Malta and perhaps some British Overseas Territories so that's why the numbers are higher than my numbers.

Truthseeker

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Listener,

1062023 -
    JAH-JIREH CHARITY HOMES

http://www.jar-jireh.org

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1062023&SubsidiaryNumber=0

PROVIDING RESIDENTIAL AND NURSING CARE IN A SPIRITUAL ENVIRONMENT FOR ELDERLY OR OTHERWISE INCAPACITATED JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

This is real as my grandmother once applied to stay here once she could no longer look after herself but she would have been too far away from her family.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

So let me give an example...

My home congregation of Bognor Regis. This is an elderly congregation that has been dwindling for sometime though in recent years immigrants from Europe have bolstered the numbers a bit.

2016 Income: £14,452
    2016 Spend: £31,257
    2016 Delta: -£16,715

2015 Income: 29,265
    2015 Spend: 8,380
    2015 Delta: 20,885

2014 Income: 19,244
    2014 Spend: 7,146
    2014 Delta: 12,098

2013 Income: 10,506
    2013 Spend: 8,277
    2013 Delta: 2,229