Celebrating for the first time!

by stephanie61092 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• stephanie61092
    stephanie61092

Okay I'm so excited, I'm celebrating Valentines Day today! I walk into work this morning (normally a sterile office filled with boring engineers like myself) to find everyone clad in decorative hearts with streamers hanging from the ceiling and heart shaped goodies in the kitchen. Had I walked in on this last year, I would've kept my head low and tried to avoid all conversation unless it was strictly about work.

Now I can't help but smile as everyone wishes me a "happy Valentine's Day" and guess what? I'm saying it back! It felt a little awkward at first because I've never said it before but I've got to admit, I got over it pretty quickly!

I used to roll my eyes at these kinds of "little" holidays, but seeing how it's honestly just a nice reason for everyone to loosen up a little bit and wear extra pink or red, even if just one day out of the year, it's really nice. Someone even used the 3-D printer to make valentines hearts for everyone.

I feel stupid for condemning everyone who only showed their love one day out of the year instead of "showing their love for family and friends all the time." To make up for it in some small way, I'm running back home this morning to bake a cake for the office party this afternoon 😄

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Good for you!

Yes, it feels good to actually enjoy a harmless celebration that makes the community smile.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Have a happy Valentine's Day, Stephanie.

I have to admit, I don't particularly celebrate Valentine's Day, even as an ex-JW.

But that's the beauty of leaving the WT and posting on this forum.

People are allowed to celebrate whatever they want to, or not, as the case may be.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Freedom to choose what you want to celebrate and on what level is your personal choice and decision.

As for myself I'm not really big on any secular traditional days of celebration, including Christmas and Halloween.

I do strongly involve myself with birthday celebrations because it shows love and respect on a personal level.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Good for you Steph, enjoy as much as you can. Here in the UK we had pancake day Tuesday this week and I flipped pancakes with a friend. It was just a bit of fun and great.

Go for it

Kate xx

• mrquik
    mrquik
    Not only do I celebrate; I got married on Valentine's Day!
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Yeah kate, I just learned about Shrove Tuesday for the first time!
    My first couple years out, I remember getting SO excited all year, as soon as one holiday was over I was like WHATS NEXT?!?!? I was like a little kid. It's fun to dress in the colors of the holiday and bake goodies that are themed etc :).
  • NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Good for you Steph!!!!

Have a blast 😀

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Feel good to celebrate, doesn't it? I mean to have the choice of what you want to do. Feels great, hey???
  • millie210
    millie210
    Very nice Stephanie! :heart:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit